Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early onset of Alzheimer’s and the cost of long term care

amob15
amob15 Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited January 12 in Caring for a Parent
Hello All,

My mother was diagnosed with early onset of Alzheimer’s in 2015 at the age of 51. She just turned 59, and the disease has progressed significantly. My father had to move her into a memory care unit housed in a nursing facility. She has been unable to take care of herself for years and needs additional one on one care. My father has to pay for everything out of pocket, and it’s extremely expensive. Are there any programs that might provide financial assistance or help ease the burden for the enormous weight? I do not believe Medicaid is accepted at this facility. It’s tough enough watching your mother succumb to dementia at the age of 59, but it’s extra tough to see the strain it has on my father. I live 9 hrs away from home, so I’m not able to help ease the burden for my father. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Gigi S
    Gigi S Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hi! Just went through this similar situation with my mother, also with early onset. The only difference is I couldn’t put her in memory care because we couldnt afford out of pocket expenses.

The route I took was talk to her pcp about options and facilities that they may know that take Medicaid (or Medicare as my mom is 67). I also had met with an elder lawyer to discuss finances and these similar questions too.

Aside from that, I met up with a social worker who is specialized in this type of care too and programs that we could apply for my mom to get coverage for these procedures.

I wish there were so many more resources for caregivers in our spot, and I am hopeful that there may be more as the years go on.

Here for you x

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Call your local Council on Aging (where your parents live) and the local Alzheimer's Assocation Chapter also. They may know of resources.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more