Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sudden worsening of symptoms

Hi all, I am new here. My dad was diagnosed with dementia in March of 2023. I still live at home with him and my mom. He had been living pretty normally since his diagnosis with a mild decline as to be expected. At his last doctor appointment on Monday 1/29/24 his doctor started him on Wellbutrin to aide in his depression (he is already on Paxil) and to help with his energy levels (he was trying to get him more motivated to start taking steps in his care plan - dr wanted him to start being more active, work on finding a hobby etc) the following Friday 2/2/24 my boyfriend took him to the pool to do some walking in the pool. At this time he was still able to be on his own, so we thought, so my boyfriend left him at the pool with the life guard and other community members and boyfriend went into the gym. When he came back about 20 mins later, dad was in the hot tub and life guard said he had been in the hot tub the whole time. He was very confused looking for a “ring he had dropped in there the night before” (he obviously wasn’t there the night before) and my boyfriend had to physically remove him from the hot tub. After getting him out he could not walk and was very confused. He was finally able to get him into the car and brought him home. Upon getting him home, him and my mom decided to call an ambulance as they thought he maybe experiencing a TIA. He was slurring as well as having mild hallucinations. EMTs came and his blood pressure was super elevated 190/x (don’t remember bottom number) he does have high blood pressure, but not THAT high. They took him to hospital and admitted him for 2 days. Could not confirm if it was a TIA but made mention of poor kidney function and dehydration. He was extra confused in the hospital and angry, calling us every few hours saying he was being assaulted and to pick him up. When he got home, it has been a RAPID decline. He is hallucinating, seeing people and animals. Thinks our house is not his house and that we are staying at a family friends house. Doesn’t know where his bedroom is or common things he used daily for years (coffee machine) is now incontinent and wearing a diaper. And the latest, last night he went into the closet and we heard him fall, ran downstairs to find him sitting on the floor, with his diaper pulled down thinking that was the bathroom. We called his doctor concerned when his OT came to the house suggesting we take him to the hospital because he is much worse from when she saw him 3 days ago. His doctor told us, no hospital and to have him drink more water. I am at a loss, I don’t know what to do. I feel like I need to be advocating for him but I am not sure how. Any help or insight as to what could be going on? I just feel this decline is so rapid and sudden out of nowhere. Also, we did think it was the Wellbutrin he started so we stopped that medication as of Saturday as he had only been on it about a week. Thank you for any advice or insight.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry you are experiencing this. Frankly, i would fire this doctor. You don't tell a dementia patient to "find a hobby," and you Never tell a family not to seek ER evaluation if things are unmanageable at home. Take him to the ER and tell them you cannot take care of him at home under the current circumstances, and ask for a new team. Including a neurologist and/or a geriatric psychiatrst.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited February 14

There were a few times mom alarmingly declined. The couple of times we took her to the hospital they got her stabilized with fluids, once she had the dreaded silent UTI too. When we got home she came back to baseline quickly. Seemed pretty simple, not sure why her doc wouldn’t support that. As far as hobbies, my mom gave up all her hobbies and learning a new one was not a possibility. Wonder how familiar her doc really is with dementia patients.

Welcome to this forum yet very sorry you have the need.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more