Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling frustrated

Godisgood72
Godisgood72 Member Posts: 1 Member

I am new to the community. My mom is 77 years old. She has not been diagnosed with dementia but definitely can tell her cognitive skills are not up to par. She thinks things around house are turning black,blames my Dad for all of it(inside & outdoor plants,floors,cabinets,etc),wipes floors and cabinets with olive oil. She puts things away and forgets where she put and blames my Dad for it. She gets very defensive if you go against her. She won't go to doctor not sure what to do. I am an only child so I get my dad's side and my mom side. I feel like I am getting pulled in two directions.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Tell her there’s a new Medicare requirement that she has to go in or she’ll lose her insurance. Tell the doc your concerns ahead of time and in private. Read about anosognosia-she is not in denial, she really thinks she’s fine. You’ll have to learn workarounds and compassionate fibs to keep her safe. And be sure you or your dad have power of attorney for healthcare and finances.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more