Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying to Capture my Grandma's Memories for Her and the Family

My grandmother has mild dementia that's getting worse and she's slowly losing her memories. I'm trying to use my engineering background to create a sort of Scrapbook/Memorybook for my grandmother and for my family to enjoy. My goal is to design something that can help my grandma capture her memories by uploading photos to the computer as well as explaining what each picture is about.

I'm doing this all digitally as a fun side project for myself that will also benefit her. She isn't very good with computers so I was thinking of helping her use the platform to store her memories. Once I'm finished developing it I'm going to see if I can turn our inputs into either physical books or digital audiobooks that show the pictures in a slideshow fashion while reading the text to her about the context around the picture.

I'm curious if anyone else wants to try to do this for themselves or their loved ones as well and can give me feedback on it so I can make it better? I need as many ideas and feedback as I can get so just let me know!

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

This is a lovely idea. If she struggles with the computer a conversion to an album might work better for her. You may find early on that the person will lose their ability to execute a train of thought. This can be more noticeable around new things introduced to their environment, because they can't 'imprint' the new thing into their memory. For instance, if she wanted to look at photos she might not recall that the album's available, or where it is. She may love the album and all the work you put into it, but don't take it to heart if you have to initiate going through it with her. 🙂

• sunnydove
    sunnydove Member Posts: 85
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I just posted a LONG comment on the other post about making a memory book. I think she will be able to enjoy it more if it's a physical album she can look through at her own pace and whenever/wherever she wants. And it will feel more familiar to her than digital content, as well as being easier on the eyes.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I think this is a lovely idea.

My niece and I have done photobooks for my parents a few times. There's something about it being in "book" form rather than an album that made them more special-- perhaps it's a generational thing. My niece did one of dad's 80th birthday party, and I made one from the listing pictures of the homes they had to sell when they moved back here.

One thing I would encourage you to do, assuming she's still capable of it, is to learn those family recipes that are she brought to the table. It's a common regret that a number of people I know have. I would not just get a written copy; I would make whatever dishes you most want to preserve along with her. My MIL has a recipe she gave me for DH's favorite cake. I've never been able to replicate the gritty texture of her frosting. I even asked a friend who bakes professionally to give it a go-- it seems MIL's understanding of "soft boil" is fluid-- either she's misinformed or her thermometer is poorly calibrated. DF wasn't able to make a go of it-- even DH said hers was "much better".

My dad had worked in a locally iconic sandwich shop as a teenager and knows the secrets of their award-winning hoagie which was the only food the man could "cook". I don't think he ever mastered instant coffee. Before he was even diagnosed, when I knew something was up, but mom was still in denial, I went to visit them and brought the things needed to make them (which I knew from having bought them as a teenager) for dinner one night. I thought it would be a treat-- he didn't have access to good rolls and specialty lunch meats where he lived after he retired, and I'd learn how to make them. He seemed apathetic at the prospect of having the hoagies and when we laid everything out for him, he had no idea what he was doing. I was too late.

The pragmatic me thinks this will serve as a good head start for a memorial service slide show as well. I found this stressful when dad died as we had to convert so many images to digital format.

HB

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

Along the lines of @harshedbuzz ’s suggestion regarding recipes, I taped conversations between myself and my grandmother where I asked her about every family member from her side of the family that she was able to remember. She was born in Poland and lost most of her family during WW2. She herself was in a camp during that time. Because I knew the spelling would trip me up if I tried to write the names down while she spoke, I found just using my phone to record the conversations much easier.

I wanted to do a family tree of sorts, along with what photos survived. In the end, the project turned out to be more for me than her. She declined very quickly and no longer recognized people in photos, but I don’t regret preserving the history. You won’t be sorry. But I also think a “hard copy” will be better for her to manage, especially if she was never familiar or comfortable with digital solutions.

• ozboram
    ozboram Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I would love to learn more about your experience with creating a Memorybook, lets chat?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,747
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hopefully you will be able to incorporate photos from her childhood. We did this with myhusband and the best story is about his Monarch Silver King bicycle.

• sunnydove
    sunnydove Member Posts: 85
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I'd be happy to help and even attach pictures in a private dialogue if it helps!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more