Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Father on a fixed income

halla827
halla827 Member Posts: 1 Member
My dad is located in CA and is living on a small fixed income (less than $2,000 a month). He has zero savings and I am not in a position to help fiscally or in a position to have him live with me. Trying to find any additional help has been impossible. Does anyone know of organizations that help. He is currently in a waiting list for VA assisted living, but we will still have to pay more than his fixed income for a shared room. His partner of 10+ years is hinting at no longer being able to give him the care he needs. Does anyone have any resources our help?!

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here but happy you found this place.

I would call your Area Agency on Aging and discuss the situation. Given his financial circumstances, he might qualify for Medicaid which can pay for a residential placement.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Second the above. The agency to contact would the one where he lives. Also, you might try the Alzheimer's Assocation hotline—number is listed on this site. A third thing, if you haven't already done it, is to talk to a certified elder law attorney in California about getting medical and legal power of attorney for him (you are likely to need it); they can also get him qualified for Medicaid if he is not already.

• mabelgirl
    mabelgirl Member Posts: 200
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

my mom is in similar situation, only social security and no savings at all. I, however, am trying to take care of her in my home but it’s not going well for either of us. I contacted our area agency on aging when she first arrived and she was put on a waitlist. When she started to noticeably decline I called them back to have her re-assessed. That took a month to get done. However, she was immediately bumped up and we are now in process of getting her assistance. What I hear though, is it will not cover the entire cost of a facility. We can also look to use the benefit for in home care. I live in FL and obviously I would not assume it’s the same as CA, but thought I’d give you some sense of what to expect. Prayers for you and your dad.

• Lynn24
    Lynn24 Member Posts: 82
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Same here. Mother doesn’t qualify for Medicaid, so will have to sell her house if memory care is needed. She has bee admitted to Hospice comfort care services recently, of which helps a few days a week with bathing and hygiene, and has been assigned a RN case managet to coordinate all medical needs and concerns. Hospice is paid by Medicare. Mother is in late stage dementia.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more