Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

cross-post: looking to trade visits with someone in Nashville who's parent is in San Fran Bay

sdepolo
sdepolo Member Posts: 5
First Comment

hi there this is my first post and I’m so grateful to be here and for this community. My dad has recently been diagnosed with mild cognitive decline though once he quit drinking, I’m hoping he gets that diagnosis revisited.

I’m exploring alternatives to the horrific options that I see in terms of forcing him into memory care eventually, as recently my mother who has been caregiving for him over the last year suffered a traumatic brain injury herself, and is now in need of significant rehabilitation with a lot of uncertainty about how much functionality she will recover in the future. I live in San Francisco and my sister lives in Singapore so we are really scratching our heads trying to figure out how to assist them and Nashville given the complexities of navigating Medicare and skilled nursing facility premature discharge and what not.

so I have a idea and I’m putting it out here and everywhere I can find: if I could find just one family who has a loved one somewhere in the San Francisco Bay area, but who themselves reside in the Nashville area perhaps we could do a trade and I could check in on their loved ones while they check in on my parents.

I know it’s a longshot, but I’m just just putting it out here to see if any of you have connections or ideas around this experiment I am proposing. My mom is staying at a skilled nursing facility and old Hickory Village just outside of Nashville and my dad is in a private home in Hermitage, I’m not sure when they are going to discharge her but sending her home might be her best option even though she’s a fall risk because none of the assisted living facilities in the region are acceptable to us.

I’m at my wits end having explored many different options and not finding any solutions that are acceptable so fingers crossed that this leads me to my dream solution. I’m open to any other suggestions and curious if any of you have found somewhere that is better than assisted-living once you’re being kicked out of skilled nursing in the Nashville area.

Thanks and blessings to you all,

Stacey

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. I am in the greater Nashville area but not in a position to assist in the manner you suggest. This is a very well served medical community however and am baffled by your saying there are no acceptable facilities.

Long distance caregiving is quite difficult. Have you thought about moving them near you? The other alternative would be to hire a professional care manager.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more