Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (197)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, already very warm and muggy but we do have a breeze. Gray Lady was waiting for her feed so have her a scoop. Will need to get into town in a few days to get feed for her.I have used the feed Toad mixes but they are aren't feeding now. Grasshoppers are eating me out o f house and home. They're stripping weeds and e ating the violets. Great big yellow ones. Something has broken down the little tree under the holly. Found my first tick on me last night. It wasn't stuck on. GUess he got on me out in the pasture. Enjoy your first day of July!

s

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, how do you like bananas 🍌?

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Ron and Lorita, I saw this and thought of you both. I know that's how I feel! xo

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning, not to humid today.

My wife went to her chair yoga today and I made spaghetti and meatballs for lunch so she wouldn't have to cook when she came home.

• Lorita

Ron, love bananas and they would be that much better like the picture. How are you doing? Hope you are staying inside in this hot weather.

Caro Lynn, that is exactly how I feel. I think Gray Lady does, too.

Dsvid, you are a good and caring man to fix lunch for your wife Charles was a very good cook. In fact, when we got married he was working as a chef.. I did baking and he did the rest..

Weather just said all of this area is under an excessive heat warning with heat indices up to 118. Not good for man or animals

• David1946

Hello everyone, I know this is early but Happy Fourth of July, but my wife and I were going to spend by ourselves but now we have 3 parties to go to one is on Tuesday at the senior center another on the Fourth at my sister-in-law in N.H. and a third on Saturday at my stepdaughter also in N.H. it never rains but it pours. We thought that we would have a quiet week. HA! HA!

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

One of my (two) daylily areas. You can also see my raised beds.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Beth, that is so beautiful!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited July 1

good evening

eagle I understand the story being upsetting to you. I do think though it could legitimately happen. Sometimes people are so stressed or they have something on their mind they’re really focused on, and if the child was being quiet and sleeping, I could see that legitimately happening. Can you imagine how terrible that parent would feel, I cannot imagine. I never took care of that scenario, but I have taken care in the emergency room of at least one and thinking two children who someone backed a car over them. I want to tell you it was horrible. And another thing I’ve never forgotten, and I always try to warn any new parents I know is do not tie anything to the babies crib. I had a child strangled with a balloon that was tied to his crib. Now if the parent was buzzed, etc. that’s another story. LOL the phone in the backseat wouldn’t help me. I leave my phone in the car. Sometimes it aggravates me when I do that. I never did that until I got a phone holder on my dash. I do like the phone holder on my dash though it’s great.

HB glad your friends recovery is going so well and hope that continues for her.

JeriLynn I think it’s our age. I have quite a few friends right now around my age who are dealing with a lot of health issues and family issues. When I say family issues, I’m talking about dementia poor health of parents, etc.. I tell them we have just reached that age. Hope things go well for your husband, and that he gets some relief.

I had a pretty good day and I need to learn not to fly off the handle so fast. I get aggravated with myself for being like that. Anyways, I’ve been having trouble with a medical bill that is from February. There was actually two of them. Medicare processed the claim and said they sent it to my supplemental company. I don’t know who’s end had the problem, but somehow the claim did not go through. I realized about a month ago that I had never paid two bills That I owed the whole thing because I had not paid any on my yearly deductible yet. So I called Medicare and ask them to resubmit it because my supplement showed I had no claims. They told me they can’t do that because they’ve already sent it once I need to call the supplement company . They explained what had happened and she said to call the providers and ask them to resubmit it back to the supplement company. I did that and waited about three weeks and re-checked on the supplement website to see if the claims were there And they were. So then I received a bill from one of them so I went in and tried to pay both of them. The company that had not sent me a bill yet went fine. When I got to the place that had sent me a bill they said that , I had a balance of zero. So today I had to call the parent company in Columbus. I had to wait forever to get someone on the phone but it was lunchtime I will give them that . Then when I got them on the phone, the first girl said I only owed $46 and something but the claim was for more than that about twice that. And she was going to let me pay it. And in the process of paying it, my mother called me and I got disconnected from them . So I kind of hollered at my mother because she was asking a question that she asks over and over but will not except any of my help so that that problem goes away and doesn’t exist. So then I had to call them back and wait all that time again but it turned out that I truly do owe the larger amount and the reason it’s showing zero balance is because the hospital realized there was an issue with the amount they charged me and so it’s re-billing me. It’ll probably be another month yet before I get the bill. She said you will get a bill and it will be for the right amount then , so turned out to be the best because the first girl would’ve had me paying and then I would’ve got another bill and I would’ve been like what’s going on here. I need to chill when things happen that are taking time I feel like I don’t have and think to myself there’s probably a reason this is happening and it’s probably a good thing. I used to be like that but I’m struggling with that now.

I did get one thing handled today that I’ve been wanting to get handled for a long time and did not know how to go about it. I called my local fire department non-emergency number and asked how to deal with it and they told me. 911 actually has a regular landline number and so I called that and a ask them to enter the security code for my moms garage door and the code for the lock box so that they can get into her house without me having to get there first. I also let the two neighbors that live closest to her know this so that if they have to call they will know that that exists. Course I guess we really won’t know if it is done until it’s used the first time.
    My mom over the past year has set her self down in the floor three times . She does not fall she sits down. The first time it happened. It was about a year ago. It was a very interesting circumstance. Anyways I tried to get her to do certain things to get out of the floor and she would not so I thought well I’m giving her a half an hour to get her self out this floor if she doesn’t then I’ll call the rescue squad for a lift assist. She finally got her self out the floor. So I don’t know maybe 3 to 4 months later I got a call at midnight from her that she was in the floor of her bedroom so I went over there and did not call anybody until I got there because there was no way for them to get in. I was not going to give her a half an hour at midnight to get out the floor. I just called the squad. So about a few days ago she did this again. But I get a call from her that she’s called 911 already and they’re there and the code to the garage door isn’t working. So I had to give her the code to the garage door. It’s all kind of surprised me that she did this but I felt like she could do it if she needed to and could reach the phone. Now I know that I was thinking correctly about that . when they came before they told her she could call 911 any time for help and I could tell she was absorbing that. She questioned them about it so I knew she was going to remember that because she wanted to. she absorbs what she wants to absorb.

Well, the garage door keypad had quit working properly so I had change the code trying to fix it and I forgot to tell her. It’s very distracting when you’re over there due to things that go on. I thought about it actually twice but just never got it done. When I got there the next morning she told me off and that the guys said they had entered it into the system so they would know the code for the garage door from now on. I’m assuming she had the inner door unlocked because I was thinking I would get a call back about that but I didn’t, so that’s what gave me sorta a lead on to what I should do but I still didn’t quite know how to do it . When I called the 911 nonemergency line the guy said they had not entered it, which I understand that because they might’ve got another call or something and got distracted so hopefully both things are entered now. Like I said, we won’t know until we use them. I have this fear that she may start doing this frequently now that she knows she can get them there. I hope that doesn’t happen. I’m not sure why she goes and sits down because when you get there she she’s is in no distress. I have my suspicions, but they are suspicions. They are sort of evidence-based suspicions, though . She’s wide awake and talking at midnight. It happened around midnight both times since the first time. I told my sister I wonder what they’ll do if she does start making this a habit. From working in the hospital lotta years I would say it’s probably not the first time they’ve dealt with something like that though..

OK I’ve talked enough good night

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

David….can we come for leftovers tomorrow?

Lorita…what is wrong with GL? Any news about Sarah? Good you are driving the car;

To keep your car battery charged, experts recommend driving your car at least once a week for at least 6 miles or 30 minutes. Driving at 50 miles per hour or more for 20–30 minutes is usually enough to recharge the battery. Driving allows your engine to generate at least 1,000 revolutions per minute (RPM), which is required to charge the battery. Idling your car will also recharge the battery, but at a much slower rate. 

• Lorita

Mint, sorry you're having these problems with your mother. I know it is frustrating. It's good that the squad is available when needed. Hopefully she won't make a practice of calling too often. Does she gave a medical alert necklace?

Went.out a while ago to give GL some fresh water and it is hot. I was watching cows across the pond and she came up behind me and pushed me, just playing but startled me. She 's very gentle. Nothing is wrong with her except she's older. There are at least eight young bulls in the pasture and when she had her calf they almost killed her. She laid down and I had to get them away from her so she could rest. Gave her water, caught her baby who wss about to follow another cow, got both of them in the lot after she recovered some. If she's out with the cattle and comes in estrus, the same thing could hapoen. She has grass, water and plenty of shade though I know she would like to be out with the others.

No real news from Sarah except she's not feeling well at all. Don't know if she has seen a doctor for pain meds. Is on hospice or what. Doubt it. A Couple of weeks ago a nurse from the hospital was coming a Couple of times a week. It hurts her to talk so only get an occasional text, usually in the middle of the night. Worries me but nothing I can do.

I'll probably go to town Friday or Saturday morning when it will be cooler. G L will need feed by then. My car has the alert if something us left in the back seat. Left my purse or something once and it showed the alert on the dash,- don't remember a sound. Stormy.is the only living thing that would be back there. He likes to go to the mailbox but not to town.

Hope everyone us being extra careful in the hot weather- it can creep up on you. See you all tomorrow. Sleep tight

• Mint
    edited July 2

good morning everyone

looks like a bunch of us were on here at the same time while I was writing my little book.

Loretta she will not accept a medical alert device. My sister and I told her we would pay the monthly bill. She still wouldn’t accept it. She told us she would throw it out. I also asked her to let me get her a TracFone that she could keep in her pocket, so it would be with her, and she refused that also. There’s a girl I’ve known since we were children and she’s having challenges with her parents. They’ve been in the hospital a bit and the nurses tell her you can’t make them do anything it’s their choice. That’s hard because really they’ve lost their ability to make good choices but I guess they have the freedom to make bad choices. All I can do is the best I can and remember the three C’s I didn’t cause it, I can’t control it, I can’t cure it.

Spaghetti and meatballs. Sound good with some garlic, bread and salad. I have a jar of spaghetti sauce in the freezer.

Beth your gardens look like a beautiful picture. I hope you’re able to rest some and enjoy looking at the garden.

Yes Lorita, about all you can do regarding Sara is to remember the three C’s also.

those of you dealing with all this heat please be careful. It’s been on the cooler side here but it looks like maybe the heat is going to come back a little bit.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Mint

My dad would also randomly sit down. This tended to cause alarm at the MCF which were required to inform us they "found your LO on the floor". It took them a while to catch on that this was just something her did routinely. Once they retired, they ate dinner sitting on the floor at the coffee table as often as they did in either the kitchen or dining room in every home they owned— dad sitting on the floor wasn't new behavior.

It's unfortunate that she won't cooperate around some sort of alert system. I have mom in an Apple Watch which she happily accepts as something the cool girls have. But before we landed on that, she'd had a Guardian pendant. In the 2 years she had it, I never saw her wear it. Ever. She does better with the watch than carrying her phone which is invariably on her kitchen counter next to her VOIP phone rather than on her person. Her house is fairly spread out and she has hearing loss so getting an answer can be a right PITA. The phone does pick up the call; it rings and vibrates on her wrist, but she doesn't always notice. It's crazy-making.
    HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Mint, I'm sorry for all the issues with your mom, and with your medical claims. So frustrating! You are right when you told JeriLynn that as we age, there just seem to be more problems to deal with. So true. We have our own health issues arise more often when our bodies age, and may deal with family members who are aging and have their own health problems as well. Then there are the non-health related things that pop up related to the properties we live in (tornado here, still much work to be done), etc. If you have animals, it's their health or their behavior. If you have vehicles, it's that. "It's always something," as Roseanne Roseannadanna/Gilda Radner used to say. So true. Sad but true. But we just soldier on. What's the alternative? I'm praying for each and every one of you on this site and the things you are having to deal with. May you experience a respite from the troubles, and may you have peace.

Gardening is my joy. It's a lot of work, but I definitely take time to just look at the flowers. We had our first batch of green beans last weekend. I'm also growing tomatoes and cucumbers and carrots. My spinach bolted, so I pulled it. Yesterday I spent over an hour deadheading daylilies and weeding. I didn't get done. I have 100 daylilies. I am beginning to think I have too many daylilies (plus the ones I have apparently love their surroundings as they grow super thick, super quick and every couple of years they need to be divided). It seems I divide some every year. When I divide them, I like to give the divisions away - not throw them away! They are so beautiful and if someone else can enjoy them, that too brings me pleasure. I planted some red raspberries close to one of my daylily beds, and now they are trying to take over. I have a conundrum: should I thin the raspberries or the daylilies?

We turned the A/C off. We have had 3 or 4 days of cooler temps. Overnight we received 1.1" of rain. We have more rain in the forecast today.

Your plans for the holiday weekend? Simple here. July 4th: grill and have watermelon and coleslaw. Just the two of us. Saturday, kids come over and we'll have brats, potato salad, coleslaw, watermelon and cherry pie. I am guessing JeriLynn will have a pool party, with lots of her yummy food - JeriLynn, you are an extraordinary cook! If you have any left over, bring it to the porch.

Iris, any trips coming up? I hope you are feeling better.

JeriLynn, hope your hubby gets pain relief. So sorry he is going through that.

Ron, I loved the banana cow! It looks good enough to eat. 😉

Eagle, the scenario you spoke of has happened. It happened to a female hospital administrator here in Iowa several years ago. So tragic.

HB, you take such good care of your mom and seem to be uber busy! My goodness! I hope you can take some time to rest and relax; make time for yourself. I think you deserve a nice spa day with a facial and a massage!

Enjoy your day, everyone!

• jfkoc

here….still hot

• Lorita
    It's hot here too but a good south wind is blowing. Watered Gray Lady and gave her a scoop of feed, fed cats and myself and that's all I have done. Nothing planned for today except fixing the cuff on a pair of linen pants. No idea why they put a cuff on soft fabric pants.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Lorita said: " Nothing planned for today except fixing the cuff on a pair of linen pants. No idea why they put a cuff on soft fabric pants."

If they're real 100% linen, the added weight of the cuff will help them drape properly and reduced the look of wrinkles when you stand up after sitting.

Design also impacts this. A have about half a dozen linen pants from a mix of retailers. The casual Old Navy (linen w/ rayon blend) and Talbot drawstrings have a plain 2" hem. The dressier, more classic trousers from Talbot and Lands End are both cuffed. I've left the cuffs as I wear both with a chunky platform shoe— otherwise they visually shorten the leg.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ron and CaroLynne, loved the images!

Iris

• jfkoc

watchiing Wimbledon….love the grass court, the white clothes and no ads….a class act!

• Lorita

HB, they're a linen blend. The cuff is only tacked at the seams so they droop. I'm putting in more tacks. Seems like there is a lot of linen blend clothing now. The blend is not supposed to wrinkle as much.

Google says Wimbledon is being shown on ABC. Is that where you're watching it. Judith? I haven't watched tennis in a long time so not even familiar with the players.

I just watched s Billy Graham sermon he made in Reno in The 70s or 80s. When he was preaching we never missed watching.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It's good to catchup on everyone on the porch. The reason I was upset - and still am - about the news report is how they were reporting it. Absolutely anything to save a child's life is worth doing, period. However, my displeasure is that the news was making the darned phone the important item in the backseat, not the child. The child was secondary to remembering the phone - that was - and still is - what I have an issue about. I wouldn't want the horror of loosing a child something anyone has to go through. If putting the phone in the backseat saves a life I am thrilled. Or putting your shoe, purse, or whatever helps you refocus, then that is what you need to do.

Temp is 104, heat index 109 - nothing but ugh comes to mind. I am so thankful for air conditioning and that we can afford to run our air conditioning. The people who have to work in the heat, I just feel so sorry for them. Its brutal.

We have nothing planned for the 4th. Most places around here are having fireworks on the 3rd. I don't understand that at all. I'm very fine, home in the cool.

Be safe everyone.

• Mint
    edited July 3

Thank you HB. Kind of helps to know at least one other person had this behavior.

yes, Beth, we soldier on. My lettuce has all bolted. Having to divide them a lot has been my experience also with daylilies the few that I’ve had. Where I’m at now I inherited two. They have not done that so far. I have not divided them and I have lived here six years. I don’t know if the buds getting eaten off frequently has been the cause of that or not. Where I lived before I strung up fish line around bamboo sticks while they were blooming and it kept the deer from eating them. But I don’t want to do that anymore but next year I am going to see if I can come up with an easy way to just at night late lay tulle over them.

Speaking of fireworks, Ron, I hope there’s not very many around you, because I know that really bothers you and I understand.

Hope everyone has a good night.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good evening everyone,

Long day at the computer and on the phone for the Estate. Still lots to do. But, one thing at a time. I got 4 big things done/initiated today so I've committed to make only 3 phone calls tomorrow. Phone calls lead to additions to the To Do list and I need a break.

We will be at home on the 4th but the "kids" have planned a cookout up at the Huntland place. Of course, I will take food. But I happened to ask "how many?" 40!!! 16 immediate family and then the "inlaws" who always come and don't bring food but bring kids/grandkids from their "other side" (can you tell that irks me?), the work friends that don't have family here (which I think is a nice gesture"). The grass is cut, the area is shady and the kids have games and fireworks planned. It starts at 3pm. I'm taking pulled pork and slaw, bbq chicken, hamburgers/hot dogs, cupcakes, popsicles, banana pudding, a cooler of drinks and all the paper products. We won't stay till dusk for the fireworks. That's too much "fun" for too long for me, lol.

DH has to have an additional MRI and return to the neurosurgeon in 3 weeks. So still in limbo there. Hope everyone has a good sleep tonight.

• Lorita

Ron, I've been wondering how you are today. Hope you're staying inside out of the hot weather. We would like to hear from you when you feel like talking.

Beth, I heard there's bad weather in Iowa. Hope it's not near you.

Todd just called. Sarah had a stroke and is in the hospital. She can talk but can't use her arms yet. She had one a couple of months ago but recovered. Hopefully, she can this time.

JeriLynn, sounds like you have your hands full. Hope the fourth goes well.

The roads are beginning to.buckle from the heat. I remember that happened a lot in 1984. Rest well tonight.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Eagle, it's horrible to think that a momentary memory lapse can be so devastating. Anyone can lapse, that's what is so scary! This is not regarding a child, but a few years ago a police dog suffocated in a hot police car. Apparently the air conditioner wasn't working and the officer was unaware, and the poor dog died from being in a hot police car. It can happen so quickly! Even though this happened years ago, I am still traumatized by it.

Beth, I have no travel planned. I am still recuperating. I'll report later, when I feel stronger.

Iris

• Mint
    edited July 3

good morning everyone

my one sister always has a little get together at the fourth. Another sister and I are going to go to Amish country today and I’ll get tomatoes to bring for our burgers. This evening, I’m going to stir up some baked beans and cheesy potatoes to take if it’s the good Lord’s will. Then I’ll bake them tomorrow morning. I was thinking it was not my day to take care of mom when I volunteered for all of that. My sister that helps me with mom noticed though and she told me she’ll take care of mom in the morning so that was kind of her. Sometimes it don’t take too long in the morning at mom’s but you never know what you’re going to walk into for sure. Sometimes I have to do a couple of loads of wash that takes a bit. I’m still working on the garden, and I really haven’t accomplished much here lately. Before too long, I have to start picking blueberries and that takes a bit of time but I do enjoy it and find it relaxing to pick them.

I do have hope that with time I can get the Canadian thistles under control. There were quite a few around the house, and as you know, I mulched all that this spring, and I just kept my eye out for them and kept pulling them up. There’s getting to be fewer and fewer and they’re not near as strong looking. Read that was the key that if you could keep them cut off, basically it kills the root because there’s no photosynthesis going on just like anything else. So my thought process is I’ll do what I can this year but next spring if it’s meant to be, I just might buy a lawnmower and keep that mowed off. We’ll see. if I can get it all cut off and make sure there’s no rocks in there. I might ask my mower company to mow that with a push mower even if it cost a little more that’s OK. Those guy said that there were rocks in there but I’ve got a fairly large swath cut and I have not ran into any rocks yet. If I do eventually run into rocks, then I will get rid of the rocks.

Lorita sorry to hear about Sarah having a stroke. I had forgot that she had one before.

Take care

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning.

Mint, thistles in the pasture drive my DH crazy. He says if you don't keep after it, they take over. He tries to pull them all but will settle for the bush hog. We don't seem to have much at my place, but the Huntland pasture has more. Probably because he keeps my pasture mowed but Huntland not as much. You all surely know how much work it takes to keep two places going.

The sweet corn is in! I was down to my last couple of bags in the freezer, so I'm happy it's ready. Maybe next week I can get some put up. I've got cabbage in my garden so I'll use some of that to make slaw this weekend.

Waiting to hear from the scheduler at the Doctor's office about DH's MRI. He's claustrophobic so has to have an Open MRI.

Lorita, I'm sorry to hear of Sarah's new troubles. Hopefully she gains full use of her arms.

Goodness, I slept in again this morning. Time to go get the chicks out and feed them breakfast. BBL. Have a good day.

• Lorita

Morning, having juice and trying to get going. Fed Gray Lady. Gave her water and filled the tank in the !ot p!us feeding all three. cats. Have to feed Max separately because for some reason they're not getting along. Thanks, I hope she can recover. She surely didn't need this. Back later

• David1946

Good morning, had breakfast on our porch.On the way to the food pantry at COA. Went to the gym and now having lunch and play bingo.

• jfkoc

here…hot

David…what is COA

Lorita….is Sarah at Mercy? Neither Winda nor I remember a first stroke. Did she go to rehab then? Will she this time?

Jeri….how many hours were you in the kitchen?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more