Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (197)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judith. She's in St.Anthonys. They said she was in the hospital when she had the first stroke. Guess it was a light one with full recovery. No rehab as far as I know

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Praying for Sarah's health. She has been through so much.

We went out to lunch. I had a grilled chicken salad with creamy parmesan dressing, and a dish of black raspberry ice cream. Delicious, and I had some salad to bring home for tonight.

We got 1.7" of rain yesterday. NW Iowa is flooding terribly (Spencer, IA). Not flooding here but plenty wet. Too wet to work in the garden but I did transplant some grass plugs to some small bare areas.

• Lorita
    Thank you, Beth she needs all the help pisdinke. Called and she was able to answer phone. She has regained a little use of right hand. They are sending her home!! Say they can't do anything for her, even pain relief. Going to get her on hospice. She can't get in touch with Todd -mail box is full. I texted him to call her. Looks like they could keep her because of stroke. She said they told her it was too much work. Can they do that?

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita, basically the hospital would not keep Sarah not because it is, "too much work." It is probably that she no longer fits criteria for the present level of care which can be safely provided at another, lesser level. Be careful to screen her communications for accuracy; that has as I recall, been an issue off and on. She cannot be sent to an unsafe environment unless she insists and that would be documented in her record. If she has no one at home to provide care and cannot afford to hire and pay for said care, the option is then a nursing home. If she cannot afford that and if she fits criteria, then Medicaid would be applied for. If she refuses care at the NH level that can be covered, that would be honored as she is the decision maker for choices; that too would be documented in her record, If she will give permission, you can be given access to her Discharge Planner who can communicate the dynamics as they currently exist.

The acute hospital will keep her as long as she has "acute" hospital needs or if on an acute hospital step-down rehab unit or step-down care at a NH only as long as she continues to fit the step-down level of rehab criteria. After that criteria has been met, she would be considered at "custodial" level of care. (Even subacute rehab in a NH has criteria to be met.) Once those hospital criteria have no longer been met and care can be provided at a non acute, custodial level, in probability, would then either be sent to sub acute rehab (often at a nursing home level), or at home if she is sufficiently stable, with visiting care in the home or OP care that she would need to go to outside the home. So; at this point, she would be screened for possible sub-acute care - such as need for rehab in a subacute rehab setting or at home with visiting P.T. and other modalities IF she fits criteria. There is always criteria to be met for care at different levels. It can seem confusing, but if she gives permission for communication with you or someone else with her care providers, that can be explained. Her Care Manager or Social Worker at the facility can provide information if she gives permission for them to speak with you or other designated person and that is pretty much always a good idea to have someone else tuned in with needs and treatment.

JeriLynn; sure would love to be at your barbeque; all that food sounds delicious and also, great fellowship with everyone - enjoy your day - bet it will be terrific.

We will have a quiet Fourth; every year for years we were the central place for the Fourth - BBQ, many side dishes, decorations, safe and sane fireworks for the children and had SO much fun with extended family, etc. This year as last year, just us two. Everyone has moved a far distance and grands have grown and are far away. But rather than feeling a bit down-hearted, I am instead feeling thankful we had all those years of so much fun and sharing in a big, delightful way. Thankful for sure.

It is after midnight; time for me to mosey on down the road to dreamland. Have a great tomorrow!

J.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited July 4

good morning everyone

JoC so good to hear from you. You explained that well

we got a little over a 10th of an inch of rain yesterday. They are giving a chance of rain the next two days so maybe will get a little more.

I got my baked beans and cheesy potatoes all stirred up and all I Gotta do today is pop them in the oven. Ours is pretty simple. Just a small little gathering. My sister will grill hamburgers and hotdogs and then the rest of us just bring a dish or two works good. We have always invited another family and almost every year they come. It was a coworker, friend of one of my BIL. I’m not sure how we got to inviting them but we did. Their children like my nephews are all growing up now in fact, one is even graduated from college now. Second one just graduated from high school and then the youngest is still in high school. It turns out though that these kids have really enjoyed it and still like to come which is wonderful. I think it’s good when you can keep some people younger than you around you. I know I so enjoy just hearing those children that moved in next door. The little boy especially is friendly and he seems kind of sweet. They are sure enjoying that pool.

I got a nice head of broccoli at the farmstand yesterday. I hope to freeze it today. Last night for supper I just sautéed up a mixture of zucchini, potato, banana, pepper, cabbage and onion. It was all fresh, and it tasted so good.

My uncle has went into hospice care now.

hope each one has a nice peaceful day however you spend your day

• Lorita
    Hi, I'm here, just slow on the uptake. Been outside about three times, then drank lots of water and laid down a while. Remind me later to tell you all my snake story for the day. Not a good way to start the day.
    Thanks. Jo, for the information. Still can't understand how they can send someone in her condition home. At least they say hospice will be involved. Should have been for months. Guess I'm still operating on the way the VA used to take care of patients. Tried to call her but no answer. Don't even know how he will get her home. Cab, I guess.
    It is hot and not much wind. Carol called to remind me to to be careful. Her youngest grandson, 32, took his wife for her two week.check after a c section and got weak and shaky and had to be taken to another hospital in an ambulance for heat exhaustion.. He is okay. She was at the Indian Hotel and he had to go to another one.
    Happy Independence Day..

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Happy 4th everyone. Hope those celebrating enjoy and stay safe. I'll be home with my LO; to celebrate, I'm making bison tenderloin for him and lobster for me. I'll get to see the fireworks they set off at the beach from my dock. Not the same as being there but makes me happy to watch from afar. My doggies will be wearing their thunder coats (not sure they really do anything) and hiding out on my bed.

Lorita, glad that Sandy will finally have the assistance of hospice. Hope you hear from her when she's home.

Watching Wimbledon - Andy Murray playing his last tournament here; doubles with his brother and mixed doubles with Emma Radecanu (sp?). He's also playing in the Olympics. The big four are dwindling; Roger retired, now Murray, Nadal announced he retired but not sure, and Djokovic I think will last forever!

Hugs to everyone on the porch xo

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    edited July 4

Good afternoon all and Happy 248th Birthday to Us!

Lorita— I am so sorry to hear of Sarah's latest health issues. So sad, but I'm sure they're not showing her the door because of the workload involved although she might feel that way. I do hope they actually get hospice on board successfully this time. The support would be valuable for both and Todd.

You're right about linen blends not wrinkling as much. It's also easier to care for and doesn't need to be broken in. But I think the bigger factor here is cost. 100% linen is expensive.

Beth— Your dinner sounds wonderful. Nothing tastes better than a salad I didn't make. And black raspberry ice cream is terrific stuff.

Mint— Enjoy your gathering. It sounds lovely and certainly the food sounds lovely.

Jo C.— Enjoy your scaled down day.

Jerilynn— I'm sorry you're feeling irked by the plus ones added to your invitation. Who is presumptuous enough to include others on an invitation without asking first? I can appreciate that for younger working folks, sometimes seeing both sides of the family at once on a holiday seems like "being fair" or "killing 2 birds with 1 stone". Would you be less resentful if these folks brought something to contribute to the table aside from their sparkling personalities?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

It's hot, humid and still this afternoon. It's a good day to read a book a friend lent instead of chasing around. I visited my friend who had surgery last Friday— she's doing really well. I even ran her over to the local TJ Maxx to pick up a new hairbrush.

I'll have mom over tomorrow as it would be dad's birthday. He'd have been 90. Maybe I'll take her to the pool for an hour or so. Maybe I'll take her to the cemetery if she wants. Last time I took her for a birthday visit it was really warm. She doesn't really know what she's "supposed to do" (her words) graveside, so she talks to him. On this particular visit, she patted his marker when it was time to go and said, "Is it warm where you are?" I almost fell over laughing.

My friend in Alsace sent me a picture of his flag this morning.

HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

That home on the canal is beautiful, HB! And to see our flag flying is special.

It's an uneventful 4th here. Last night, lots of fireworks were being set off - as late as 11:45 pm! There are many fireworks stands in our town, yet it is illegal to set off fireworks here. Makes perfect sense.

I picked green beans and blueberries this morning and deadheaded my daylilies. It takes more than an hour to deadhead my daylilies. I think I have too many - 100!

Hubby grilled burgers and we had coleslaw and watermelon too. That was tasty although far from elaborate like when you are hosting guests, as Jo has done many times and JeriLynn too. JeriLynn, I think the expectation for next year…or for further large gatherings this year…should be that it's potluck. Much less stress and expense for you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello everyone! Have a nice holiday!

Iris

• harshedbuzz

Beth—

Send your daylilies my way and I have my trusty crew of deer nip 'em in the bud.

HB

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy 4th everyone. My goodness, lots of good food being made, and fun celebrations being attended. We aren't doing anything. I'm not even cooking on the grill. It's 104 and the heat index is 119 - its just too darned hot to enjoy being outside. Frankly I feel like a slug - I was outside some this morning and haven't done anything since.

Mr Funny Pants did give me a good giggle earlier. I usually setup a small sprinkler on low and let the birds and squirrels get cooled off in it during the afternoon. He told me to not walk too fast outside because the grass is dry & he didn't want me to cause a fire. With my knees a slow mosey is about as fast as I can walk, that's why I thought this comment was so funny.

Be safe everyone.

• Lorita

Judith, where are you? Looks like you have just had some rain and hope it's cooler there. It's cloudy here.. Just got up from a three hour nap,- didn't mean for it to be that !ong.

No word from Sarsh.. I did call the hospital about 2 and was told she was still there. Going to watch fireworks on TV tonight All the good food you all had today sounds delicious.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy 😊 Fourth of July

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry…here…got busy outside this morning.

Brief storm…probably cooled off.

• Mint

good evening, everyone

Lorita don’t forget to tell us the snake story.

Times have changed Lorita. When I was first employed, I had a patient who had already been there for a long time. Then I took care of this patient for several years. I can’t remember exactly how many. That would never happen in this day and age. By the time I got there, patient was no longer acute care. We were simply doing chronic care. Back then there was nowhere to send a person with this patient’s problems, but that’s not true now. Now they probably would be gone in a few months at the most .

The home on canal is indeed beautiful. It’s kind of hard for me to imagine living somewhere like that.

I fear fireworks could happen here tonight they do often. The only reason I dread the missed calls. It hinders me from relaxing and falling to sleep. Sleep is more important to me than fireworks.

I cooked my mom a small pot of green beans today. I will take them to her tomorrow. I hope she likes them. She asked me if I had a tomato and I told her I did so I’m going to take her one of the tomatoes that I bought at the Amish. I might try frying her up some of the vegetables that I had last night for supper and take on Sunday. I’m not sure if she would like that or not but maybe she will. The incontinence thing has been going better for several days now. I’m wondering if part of the problem was it was while it was so hot and of course she’s not using any air so I think she was drinking a lot of extra water which is good.

I have done maintenance on the furnace where my mom lives for at least 20 years. I have decided I’m not going to do that any longer that I’m going to hire that done. That’s one thing I can get off my plate. I don’t do it at my own home. I’m also going to ask him to service the air conditioning unit. It has been unused for six years, so I hope it can be serviced and still work. If it doesn’t work, I think I’m going to have a new one installed. My mom totally does not understand how the thermostat and heat, a/C work together. That may be a bit of a challenge. But I think I’ve read on here that you can have a like a lock box put on the thermostat if that would be needed Help I don’t have to do that because that would really anger her I imagine.

I had a nice day. Most of my food got ate I have one half pint of baked beans and two of cheesy potatoes left. I froze them and I will enjoy them at a later date. My sister fixes hamburgers and hotdogs.. the rest of us bring a dish or two. My nephews new wife brought cupcakes that she had made and decorated. She had done a good job. Was nice to see everyone again. We got in a couple games of corn hole and then it started raining. We didn’t quite hardly get a 10th. But they’re giving chance of a more tonight and tomorrow so if we keep getting these small rains they’ll add up.

Will check on mom’s blueberries tomorrow. If I don’t forget them maybe I can pick some tomorrow we’ll see. I have the baskets in my car so I won’t forget them. I froze the broccoli that I bought so I was glad I was able to get that done. I hope I find the time to get some pickle relish made because I open my last jar and I really like having my own pickle relish. I use quite a bit of it to. I’m learning I use it a lot more than I use pickles.

Yes, Beth, 100 daylilies is a lot of daylilies to deadhead. Then do you trim them all back in the fall? That’s a lot of work and you have a lot of other stuff. I inherited a lavender plant when I moved in here. It’s in a very hot spot and dry. It loves that that thing has Groad so much since I moved in here. I don’t know how old it was when I inherited it, but I have lived here six years. The spring I had two or three volunteers come up of it and I thought about putting one back here in my new bed but I thought no because they’re just a lot of work to maintain and I keep thinking it’s on it’ll die, but it never dies. It just keeps thriving lol . It’s pretty I just don’t like maintaining it. They are so woody and I don’t really feel like I know what to do with it. I just shear it off but apparently that’s OK because it re-blooms and it’s beautiful when it’s blooming. I think it blooms two or three times in the summer . I just cut it off last night, so I’m pretty sure it’ll break bloom at least one more time but of course I have to cut it all off again. And then you have to cut it off again when spring comes usually.

OK that’s enough yapping. Judith I hope you’re OK. Just hanging out somewhere. Hope each one gets a good nights rest.

• Lorita
    edited July 5

Mint, how do you make your cheesy potatoes? Sounds so good to me. Do you blanch your broccoli before you freeze it?

This morning when I let Stormy and Shenna out it was good daylight but still sort of dark in the house. I opened the door and the storm door and stepped on something that felt spongy. I thought it was a cat because they're by the door sometimes. I tried to see but couldn't, turned on the light and it was a water moccasin. Hurried and got the grabber but couldn't make it hold the snake. Stormy was outside the door trying to help but got him away. Finally got it out on the porch and it went to the south end. Still couldn't get the grabber to work so got a sharp shooter I had on the porch just for this purpose. Got it almost cut in half, got it off the porch, then over the fence.

I think it was on the porch by the door and when I opened the storm door, it opened over him and he started to try to come in but the inside door stopped him. Scares me now because he could have flipped when I stepped on him and could have bitten me. He was about four feet long. Probably the same one I saw the other day that went under the rocks around the porch, then underneath From now on I will look before I open the door.

Just watched the fireworks in NYC. Very pretty but would have liked it better without all those people singing. The fireworks in Tulsa were postponed because of rain. No rain here.

Judith, what were you doing outside in this heat? It was 97 here with heat index of 112. I felt like I almost got too hot early when I was getting water for the cows in the lot.

Five people drowned in three different placesin our part of Oklahoma today.

Sounds like everyone had a good Fourth even though it was hot.

According to the operator at the hospital, Sarah is still there. No answer when I call her.

Sarah, when I first started working at the VA some of the patients on one ward had been there for months.That was before we had the Contract NH Program where the VA would pay for six months of care for NSC patients and indefinitely for service connected patients. Some of their charts were two feet thick.

Hope everyone can have a goid night's sleep.

Alexa tells me it is now 77 degrees. It has been near 90 at this time of night. Improvement but we need rain.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning,

Lorita, that is scary.

• Mint
    edited July 5

good morning everyone

For the cheesy potatoes I thawed out a 2 pound package of hashbrowns, you can use shredded or country style, in the refrigerator. Mix the potatoes, a can of cream of chicken soup, 8 ounces of sour cream, a stick of soft butter, half a teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar. Placed it in a 13 x 9. Then put a half a cup of shredded cheddar over the top. I also grease my pan, that way it cleans up much easier. Bake at 350 for a hour. If you’re someone who has to watch your salt intake, I used unsalted butter, no sodium added cream of chicken and may have cut back the salt a little too . It turned out good and everyone loved it so that works.

Last year I blanched my broccoli and I really did like it. I looked around though, and I found people that said broccoli works fine not to blanch it, so what I fixed yesterday I did not blanch. Now I’ll probably freeze at least another couple of heads, and I may blanch those because I know that works until I find out whether not blanching works for me. I do not blanch my cabbage anymore and I don’t blanch my peas because I’ve been satisfied with them and it’s so much easier.

I hope to be able to can green beans in the coming weeks. Just doing small batches at a time. I’m just going to do what works and not worry about the rest. I’ve got quite a bit of herbs dehydrated already and hope to do more parsley oregano and thyme. The The dill will be gone soon, but I’ll save my seed heads and I’ve got lots of seed heads. Some I will save, and others will fall to the ground and when half or a little more of the seeds have fallen to ground, then I put them in my compost and I get dill everywhere. I think dill is beautiful. I also have a rosemary plant , it’s not grown a lot but it looks healthy so maybe eventually I’ll have some rosemary too.

That snake would’ve been scary. I guess the moral of the story is always have a good lighting in the room so you can see. I’m trying to get much better about that just for safety.

we got good rain yesterday. Apparently a lot of it was after I went to bed anyways we got a little over eight tents so that’s really a blessing. I probably won’t have to water anything but maybe the planter that I set in a protected corner because I knew they were giving storms. This afternoon we might get some rain too.

hope everyone has a very nice day

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning! Just a reminder I am reading and Sarah has been in my prayers!!

Incoming wasn't to bad last night and I slept on top of the bed instead of under it.

Ron

• Mint

im glad Ron

they were loud and kind of started in just about the time I went to bed, but I was tired enough that it didn’t take me too long to tune it out and fall asleep

• harshedbuzz

@Mint said: My mom totally does not understand how the thermostat and heat, a/C work together. That may be a bit of a challenge. But I think I’ve read on here that you can have a like a lock box put on the thermostat if that would be needed Help I don’t have to do that because that would really anger her I imagine.

My mom's thermostat has an available app that lets you control the settings via a smartphone from anywhere if there's Wi-Fi. It can also be programed to return to a baseline setting if adjusted.

HB

• Lorita

Morning, it's 77 this morning, still a bit muggy. Thought about spraying weeds in the lot but may wait until tomorrow.

Ron, glad you're reading and got to sleep on instead of under the bed. We didn't have any rain .Thank you for the prayers for Sarah. I know they do help.

Mint, thank you for the recipe. They sound deliciouss. I will have to wait a while to make them though. When I had diverticulitis I lost some weight so decided to stay somewhat on the diet because I needed to lose more. So far I've lost 22 pounds, about that much more to go.

I think Stormy has ear mites so put cleanser in last night and the mite drops a couple of hours later. He slept for a couple of hours, then we went to bed. He woke me about 1:30 scratching his ear and whining. Tried to dry it as much as I could. He finally went to sleep. Called Mike this morning just after 6. Learned I should have cleaned the ear with q tips and wait until a day or so to put in drops. Barclee had that problem and did it like I did for Stormy. Must have been different meds. He seems okay this morning but still shakes his head and needs an allergy shot. Feel really bad about this.

I heard on one of the hot dog eating contests this weekend a guy ate 58 in ten minutes. Can you imagine that? I bet I haven't eaten that many in my 82 years. Better go and get my juice. Not much in the mood to do anything.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 5

here…

a grabber will almost never work…get a snake tong and some outside cats

I love hot dogs but am fussy about what kind

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Nope, I don't do snakes. I'd either still be running or on top of the house. A grabber or snake tong are not tools I would ever need - nope. Not that brave. I'm glad your ok and the critters, but nope, I'm a chicken if a snack is anywhere near.

We had a beautiful little rain shower this morning. It was lovely.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope everyone had a good Fourth of July

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 5

And now, I am a chicken Doctor….🙄

This is either Frick or Frack; I'm not sure. They both look alike except one of them has a ratty comb on top of her head. They don't seem to mind that I call them by either name. This one has done something to her left eye. So I had to catch her up, DH held her, I washed out her eye and put some ointment in it. All I had was people medicine until I can get to the CoOp. I had already fed this morning, but I fixed her up a pan of greens, fresh basil, oats, red pepper flakes, oregano, fresh tomatoes and red pepper all drizzled with molasses. And of course there is another ruined blouse to add to the rag box because I never think to come in to change my clothes. I had just got home from the grocery store.

And the cat just threw up in the floor and on my rug.

At least I haven't happened upon a water moccasin this morning.

Still have cole slaw and banana pudding to make. The gathering is tomorrow up at Huntland. @harshedbuzz I think I get aggravated about the inlaw extras because they don't contribute anything (not even sparkling personalities) and this is every event. They know these gatherings are potluck and they know that DH and I contribute more because we can. They're grandparents too and own a business so they could well afford to pitch in. But then she also brings HER side of her family (this is a second marriage for them) and still doesn't contribute. I know I'm being petty and not the most gracious in this situation. But they never host any events for the "whole" family and dang! OK, I've fussed about them enough. I'll go and I'll smile and when she asks me for a recipe, I will forget to send it to her - bless her heart. lol

We got just a little rain this morning and hoping for a bit more this afternoon. It is almost bearable outside. Ok, I'm back to the kitchen for a while. Hope everyone is having a good day.

• Mint

is there enough banana pudding for the porch? I like leftovers.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more