Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (198)

Comments

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Don't forget to look at the super blue moon tonight. This is a night to sit on the front porch and enjoy the breeze and look at the moon.

My tree guy just called. He says he thinks he can take care of the trees this week. He said they have been really busy with all the trees down from storms. I will have him be sure the elm is dead for sure.

I was just out on the porch watching the little babies running and playing. Just like little kids and they can run so fast. Love watching them.

Ricardo, welcome to the front porch. I live in Eastern Oklahoma on a cattle ranch. Calves were the babies I was watching. I've lived here my whole life and hope I never have to leave.

.I just saw one of those huge grasshoppers Darwin talked about. They are almost twice as big as the yellow ones - light green or gray with black spots. He was in water in a mineral tube so I turned it over and saved his life. Couldn't help doing that.

Hope all of you can sleep well tonight. See you tomorrow.

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I use Ricardo on this site but my name is Richard. I’ve driven through Oklahoma on a cross country trip from Central California to New Jersey

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Lorita thank you for mentioning that full moon. I saw it this morning and it is beautiful.

• ricardo

I saw it last night. It was beautiful

• ricardo

Cool 55 this AM

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

I have to take mom for a haircut and pedi. This is an irksome chore as she 1) refuses to consider the salon that is near the Talbots she can walk to because they only do "old lady hair styles", 2) because she refuses to schedule the pedi at the hair salon ($10 more) or the one nail salon (same price) near Talbots because she likes the place I go to better and 3) because she "needs" a haircut and schedules one monthly. Oy.

I hope all have a pleasant day.

HB

• ricardo

I have a medical appointment this AM and coffee with a very old good friend this afternoon

• ricardo

I might tell him about my Alzheimer’s

• ricardo

Would be my 2nd non family talk

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I looked for the moon last night but it wasn't up yet? It was about 8 pm.

Iris

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ron, for you and all who have had the loss of a LO.

• Lorita

Iris, moonrise here was 8:55. It was beyond beautiful but probably not as good in a city because of the lights and buildings.

Thank you, Marie. for posting that. It is so true. Even after almost ten years I still have hard days so it doesn't end.

Beautiful, cool morning here, 73 degrees at 10 a.m.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 21

I got a little work done yesterday…stressful work so I took the afternoon off and watched Netflix. Today I will get on the drawing board. I have a new idea for the flip house which will hopefully remedy a couple of problems.

• ricardo

I spend time on Netflix too. Alot of things to watch

• Mint

Ricardo hope you have a pleasant day. Can see why it would be hard to tell your friends.

nice post Maria, nice to see you on the porch

HB hope your day with mom isn’t too bad. Cleaning the house day was a little bit rough today but I got through it. It was partially my fault because I set her off by asking her to let me put a small waste can by her chair so she could put stuff in there instead of on the floor because sometimes it’s hard to clean. I guess you always hope that sometime she’ll be agreeable. Needless to say she wasn’t and then of course, from then on till I got done and I was only in the first room I was being talked to. Maybe someday I’ll learn just do it and accept it, you can’t make anything better.

quite windy again today and a little cool

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Thank you Maria for the post, I'm at the point where everything reminds me of Lou. I'm thinking about stopping facebook with all the memories that keep popping up. Today one showed up that my DIL posted of Lou and I. It was when she had broke her hip and was in long term hospital care. It was a picture of her smiling in a wheelchair and me by her. This was when dementia first started with us.

Church couple brought some of the homemade French onion soup last night. First time I had any and it wasn't that bad. Hopefully it will help, at least I'm not coughing up blood anymore. My oxygen level is dropping to 87/88 when I walk to the mailbox or make up the bed, but it comes back up to around 92 after resting a few minutes and if I stay still long enough sometimes I even see 97.

Ron

Ron

• David1946

Hi everyone, Just came back from the Senior Center where a fantastic INDIAN LUNCH. Every once in a while they have a meal celebrating different cultures next one is going to celebrating GREEK foods.

• ricardo

Love Greek food…Enjoy !!!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Your Senior center is wonderful. I don't think I have one anywhere near me….will check.

Ron…I would stay off oc face book for a while or at east choose to sleep DS for a while.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sorry to be absent for so long but things here have been hectic. Starting plans for celebrating my mother's 100th birthday in Nov. and it has been slow going…as she wants to be involved in all the planning but can't make up her mind about much of anything.

Then on top of that she fell over a week ago, outside. Had difficulty getting back into the house. She has an Iwatch but didn't remember how to call for help. Daughter got her to agree to a life alert pendent now as well. EMS came to get her and we spent 8 hrs in ER. Nothing broken, no sign of stroke or blood clots. Apparently in 2022 she was diagnosed with arthritis in left knew and had developed a Baker's cyst behind the need which caused the fall. Spent the next 2 days going to various doc. appointments. Got a steroid shot in the knee and a walker. She is improving but since she lives 1 1/2 hrs away from me and my daugther we can't be with her all the time…I have been there 24/7 for 8 out the last 10 days. Today she had home care start with 8 hrs per day 5 days a week for 2 weeks. We will see how that goes.

Always something…and of course I still have lots of other things to do…the life of a retired lady…lol. Have a graphgan that I have not gotten to work on, but fortunately no firm deadline.

Wishing all better health, and better days.

Marie

• David1946

I hope that you do find Senior Center in your area. I think you will like it. Let me know if you do.

• David1946

i sure will. I willyou know how i enjoyed it.

• Lorita

Marie, glad you're back with us. So glad your mother wasn't injured more than she was but at her age a fall really shakes you up. Getting an alert button with fall detectioǹ is a great idea. I have one if I would just wear it.

What a celebration you all will have on her 100th birthday. I can remember the one we had for my grandma's 80th birthday. . She so enjoyed it and so did we.

Our weather today has been a "10" and sounds like tomorrow will be also but then back to the muggies with hot weather.

Ron, looking at Facebook and listings might not be too good right now. Looking at Charles' pictures sometimes still bothers me.

Beginning to look like Green Country again after the rain. Girls have even gone back down in the NE pasture. I need to go to the mailbox so will check it out.

The nearest Senior Center to us is about 30 miles from me so you all with nearer ones are lucky. David, was that East Indian food or Native American. Love their Indian Tacos.

Enjoy the evening and sleep well.

• Mint

good morning

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 794
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning Porchlings.

Richard— I hope you enjoyed getting together with your old friend over coffee. I met one of my oldest friends at the state park with iced tea (for her) and iced coffee from Dunks. She's immunodeficient, 8 weeks out from having most of her colon/large intestine removed and coming up on the one-year anniversary of her DH's death— so in need of some company. We found a bench in the shade overlooking the creek and just hung out. It was great.

David— Lucky you with Indian food for lunch. What was on the menu? Indian cuisine is a favorite here. We go to an Indian restaurant with friends at least once a month and DS often picked himself up takeout. Their take-out want my go-to during the COVID lockdowns when I couldn't face cooking another meal. I always laugh because the 2 places we go always slip in an extra or 2— maybe a couple of random samosas or a dessert we didn't order. I've discovered new favorites.

Marie— How scary with your poor mom falling. Did she have her Apple Watch charged and on? IME, I've had a couple false alarms from reaching down into my top-loading washer and it's always gone off when I (or my mom) have had a hard fall. I've gotten calls when mom's fallen, too. When they do detect a fall, the watch will give you a chance to confirm the fall and opt out of EMS being called. I'm glad she's doing better.

Judith— I hope you enjoyed your therapeutic Netflix binge. What did you watch? A friend of mine is recommending Decameron but it sounds pretty out-there. She and I have very different tastes.

Lorita— Enjoy your break in the weather. It's been cooler here, too. I actually wore my new utility jacket yesterday which was fun.

Ron— I hope you're feeling better.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

I spent the day with mom yesterday. She had a good day. She got her hair done and then I took her for a pedi. She insisted I pick the color because she always picks something brighter (hot pink or coral) than I would and then gets bored with it. We agreed on a paler sheer peachy pink that was a little pearly. She was happy. Alas, she smudged one of the big toes and that had to be redone— grrr.

It looks like the purging project is done. The room looks so much better but she's exhausted. She has one tote of pictures for each niece and had another Ziplok for me. LOL, she was reluctant to send home pictures of me from my high school formals lest it upset my husband. It makes me wonder what her relationships were like. She spoke at length in the car about how stressful and upset the whole thing made her.

I may go over and help her pack tomorrow ahead of her trip to Rockport. It's funny, she and her last remaining sister are weirdly competitive, so mom will want to make sure to have her cutest ensembles available each day.

She'll also want a reasonable amount of enviable jewelry— not so much that she feels "try-hard" but enough to level the playing field with my aunt who will be rocking serious "ice". This is the aunt who had the pieces she wanted to inherit from the older sister appraised ahead of the selection meeting but not the one mom had her eye on that turned out to be a fake— and not even a good one. Mom is still a bit salty about that. I suspect the ring had been set with genuine stones my uncle had replaced when his wife started with signs of dementia. He adored his wife but was a pragmatist.

I hope it's a pleasant day for all.

HB

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited August 23

For the past couple of nights I have gotten only about three hours of sleep. When I wake up at 3 am, I am wide awake and I can't go back to sleep. It's very disturbing! But then about noon, I have to go back to bed and sleep three more hours. My day is shot!

Edit: I fell asleep again from 7 am until 2:40 pm, so that was a good night's sleep, except that it was in the daytime. 😕

Iris

• David1946

Morning all, my wife and I are on our way to N.H. for the weekend for our anniversary.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more