Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Donepezil and Memantine-Extreme Side Effects

Hello Everyone!
This is time on the site.

My DH was officially diagnosed with VD about eight months ago. But because my mom also had dementia, I knew three years ago that something was wrong.
His doctor didn't listen to me, and not until he had three mini strokes, and carotid artery operated on did anyone start listening to me. The surgeon said the plaque was so hard he had to punch though it! On top of that, a brain scan showed he has more plaque consistant with memory issues. DH is 81, was very active, four years of college, hands on our one acre projects. Now it took him all day to install a new light feature. He kept complaing that someone had tampered with the package, and that's why it took him so long to install it!

Two months ago, he was prescribed Donepezil, which he did really well on. It was like he was a whole new person! Then extreme diarrhea started, with continue watery eyes and nose. He lost 20 lbs in a month! Next was Memantine, same thing. We were told to try imodium with the meds, didn't help at all.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what ideas can you give me? I'm reading the 36 Hour Day, have neighbors and friends to talk to. I started taking Zoloft, because I know how this situation will most likely end. I'm 71, our two children, one lives 2 hours away, one in another state.

Thank you for any advice or comments...
Chicken Mama

Comments

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I take Memantine with no side effects

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

also take NAD+

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm sorry to hear you are both going through this. Was there a dose of either Aricept or Namenda that your husband was on that didn't cause the issue? Maybe a lower dose can be effective without causing the side effects.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

He might try Exelon patch, since it avoids the gastrointestinal tract.

Iris

• Lux
    Lux Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Hello CM, We are at a similar stage, taking both Donepezil and Namenda, but no direct side effects.

That said, my husband did have extreme diarrhea with Covid last May, for 4 weeks, which put us over into early dementia. But it wasn't in direct relationship to the meds. He already had lost 20 pounds last year. So I'm wondering about cause and effect.

Both Namenda and Donepezil have been helping. But stopping nothing.

• Grandot
    Grandot Member Posts: 7
    First Comment First Anniversary

My husband has been on both for two years. We had to cut the dose of Donepezil in half because of the side effects. He still has some side effects but not nearly as severe. I make sure he eats something before taking the medication.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 236
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

my husband was not able to tolerate the donezepil but he’s doing well on the rivastigmine patch.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My hubby got nauseated when he started donepezil. The doctor cut the dose in half for awhile, then gradually increased it back up to the original dose. I once asked about Exelon. The neuro said that it can have the same digestive side effects. Memantine had no adverse effects on my hubby. It actually improved his behavior for a time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more