Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

HB, I see living in IL not as needing help, but as relieving myself of pressures of housekeeping, cooking and being alone. Years ago I had considered moving to an Active 55 and up place, but I am no longer active, so I knew I would be out of place.

We had a 4.6 earthquake this morning, it was closer to me, about 25 miles away.

The various wildfires are still raging. One was set accidentally by utility workers moving boulders with heavy equipment. The other was set deliberately. Over 50,000 acres are burning, many houses and structures destroyed.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks for checking in Iris…just heard about the quake

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Back home within an hour and half. My appt. Was at 10:3o and was out of there before 11. My time slot for pickup was 12-1 but it was ready at 11.
    You'll never guess what was wrong with the seatbelts. Think about where I live - I was in the waiting area and she came in and said I might want to keep my windows closed. She had a 4" long dirt dobbers nest to show me. There was one in each seatbelt mechanism. When they opened the hood when I got there I saw something and it was the beginning of a rat's nest.. Guess I will open the hood from time to timeto check. Varmints and insects are taking over!! I have until the end of the year to get my free oil chsnge. Glad that is done.
    Iris, did they catch the person who started the fire? They should hang him up by his toes, or something else.
    Judith, glad you convinced them to get out if there. Do wish we could have gotten some of that rain though.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris I'm so glad you checked in. I just don't understand people. How could anyone intentionally start a fire? I know it happens all the time though. That's just something I'll never wrap my head around.

Beautiful day here. As soon as DH is done with his lunch we're going for a little walk. Of course the dog will come along.

More later.

eagle

• jfkoc

lorita…..Wasps and rats are everywhere. I had Norwegian roof rats in my house . You have to drive your car to keep them from nesting and to keep the battery charged. Keeping the windows closed is not going to keep critters out.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Lorita— Yikes.

My bestie's husband's car had rats nesting during the early pandemic lockdowns. They destroyed the electrical harness on his minivan twice in 6 months. She had to stop feeding the birds as it attracted rats to the area.

HB

• Iris L.

At my condo there is a litter of 3 kittens. The management want to keep the cats around to chase off rats and mice. There is too much wildlife here for me. On the other hand, the other day I saw two hummingbirds flitting and flying around together, I usually see just one.

Lorita, the arsonist has been caught and is suspected of setting other fires. I'm glad he was caught quickly.

Eagle, since you're going for a walk, you must be feeling better. Great!

Iris

• Lorita

Charles had a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer several years ago and rats ate all the wiring and we had to have it replaced. The service manager today said that happened to their car,too. Not wasps but dirt dobbers, Judith, although we have wasps, too. I have a bar of Irish Spring under the PU hood. Men at the dealership says that will work because rats hate the smell.

Iris, several years ago we heard someone was setting fire to big bales of hay. Had everyone worried. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Just got up from a 2 1/2 hr. Nap. Felt so good- woke up with my arm around Max.

Earthquakes would really scare me. Any damage at your house, Iris?

• Lorita

Just read about dirt dobbers, Internet spells it daubers They are in the wasp family. Guess they don't sting. I have never been stung by one.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Just a good steady rain here! I went to the council on aging this morning and played bean bag baseball, Tuesday was bingo and tommorow they are having a bean bag baseball competition at the library.

Wednesday morning I woke up with a real bad cramp in my left calf muscle. Same place I had the blood clot and it's still hurting. I had the same thing happened a few months ago and went to VA, they said that was normal and called it post ?(don't remember the rest). I just hope the pain easy up before my drive to Missouri.

Ron

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ron, sounds like you are having some fun at the council on aging. Glad for you. Hope and pray your leg is ok and for safe travels.

Beth

• Iris L.

Ron, before your long drive to Missouri, ask if you should be wearing compression stockings to prevent blood clots. I used to wear compression stockings when traveled, I have to get back to wearing them. They really relieve pressure in the veins of my legs.

Lorita, this was a small earthquake, no damage at all at my place or anywhere else.

Iris

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning.

PT yesterday was good and DH is released. I grocery shopped while he was doing his thing. We always keep a small cooler in the vehicle. Grandparents Lunch was a success. The school is small and rural. We saw lots of folks from our church. The school posted pictures on their FB page. DH cooked yesterday and after we dog wrangle this morning we will pop up and over the mountain to Scottsboro to deliver food to his brother.

A little rain yesterday and lots of windy gusts but no tornado damage. More of the same today. Hopefully nothing stronger. Judith, Mobile is 5 hours down I-65 from me. I absolutely love that area. We took our kids to Gulf Shores every summer. At one point we had a "vacation" house on Dauphin Island. I miss it.

One former co-worker is near the Line Fire, one in New Orleans and one in Baton Rouge. I've been sending up lots of weather-related prayers these last few days. DH was raised on a farm, so we do NOT miss the weather report. Glad everyone here is safe today. BBL.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,670
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Iris liked how you said you think of independent living as a pressure relief valve. That is how i Think of it too and hope that works out for me when the time comes.

Glad you are getting a nice rain Ron. My grass especially in front yard is crispy.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning!

Beautiful start to the day here. I hope everyone is ok that was in the line of the hurricane.

Alas, we didn't get our walk in yesterday. We made it to the neighbor's driveway where he'd just come home from fishing. DH and he were chatting and I wasn't about to interrupt that. I know DH misses having guy friends just to talk to, and I want him to be comfortable chatting with others besides me. I can't stand long without moving, so I just excused myself and said I needed to take the dog home. In reality it was me who needed to go home! Probably 30 minutes later in walks DH with a huge grin on his face telling me everything they'd be talking about. To me that's a huge win.

I'm not sure what's on the schedule for today, i will get us outside for sure. Maybe we'll have lunch on the patio, that sounds fun. Who knows.

Be safe everyone.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning, wonderful weather 100% sunshine. We are having a family gathering with my wife's sisters and spouses we do this 2 times a year. I can't wait to see them. We are going to try out a new Chinese restaurant. We like it and hope everyone else does.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning from the front porch! My leg wasn't bothering me when I got up this morning. After I went to the Friday morning mens breakfast at church and walked around some, the pain is back. I believe I'll just take it easy for a few days and hopefully I'll be OK. I am worried a little about my oxygen level. After making the bed, just walking around a little, or very light work, the spO2 drops to 87 or 88. It does goes back to 92 in a couple of minutes and if I'm a couch potato, might even hit 96 or 97. As long as it keeps recovering, I guess that's good.

Iris, I've tried the compression stocking before and can barely get them on, heck, I have trouble putting NY socks on. lol

Really looking forward to watching my grandson play football!

Ron

• Mint
    edited September 13

Eagle glad you and DH had a nice day yesterday. Made my heart smile. Thank you for sharing.

David hope you and your family had a nice outing.

Ron I don't know if you can do this or not. Someone recently in a post on another thread mentioned it was easier to put them on if you laid down, put your leg up in air and let gravity help you put it on. Know you will enjoy watching your grandson.

Well Im back on this subject again. There is a medical alert system called alert sentry. You can find it at alertsentry.com. I am going to seriously think about getting the iplus package. Found this on asksamie.com. A very interesting website. Its going to take me awhile to get through this informational website. I am going to work on eating it one bite at a time. Thinking there may be some valuable information here for me personally and for caregiving. Found it because i tried to order compression gloves recommended by a hand therapist i watch as been having trouble with very stiff right hand in morning. The gloves have not been available in my size. Today i got an email saying they are being sold on asksamie now. Think i will be able to get them now. They come in pretty colors laugh out loud.

ok i should get back to work

• Lorita

Morning, well afternoon I guess. Pretty day here but still no rain and none forecast for the next week or so. Drove out in the pasture thus morning and the grass is still okay in places.

Saw a white baby shining in the morning sun. One of the white heifers has a new baby. I saw one of our cows with two babies but don't think it's twins, just friends. I still call the young cows heifers, I guess to differentiate between them. There are three white heifers and all three calved last year but one lost her baby so I hope it's her calf.

Still having some pain just like I did in May but improving. Ron, I think you're right in just taking it easier for a while and rest up for your trip. Hope the pain goes away soon. I wear a compression knee brace off and on and it isn't easy to put on so I see what you mean.

Mint, do you have arthritis in your hand? Hope the glove helps.

Had a disruptive night. The cats slept all day and wanted to.play all night. So, a nap is called for.

Zetta and Joan, where are you all?

• jfkoc

here…off to bank

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

We had an excellent afternoon I'm new to the family (only 6 years) it was nice to find out something of the family that I married into.

• Iris L.

Ron, I had trouble with one compression stocking but it was too small, I went to a larger size. The package gave explicit instructions on how to get them on. They are tight but comfortable when they are on my legs. After three days, my leg pain was gone! I believe you should seriously reconsider a larger size.

Actually, since you have a history of blood clots, you should get a specific prescription from the doctor or physical therapist, because some do that. They will measure your legs and tell you what size and level of compression that you need.

When you are on a long drive, you should move your feet and legs around, do ankle circles, get out and walk frequently.

Mint, my cousin in IL had a regular two bedroom apartment with two full baths, a full but small kitchen, living room with dining area and a balcony. Her bedroom had a walk-in closet and there was an apartment-size washer dryer combo in its own closet. The dining room provided all meals if desired. Housekeeping was provided once a week. There were plenty of social activities, including movies, a library, cards and Happy Hour on Fridays. There were four community centers with more activities, including arts and crafts, exercise classes, swimming pools and tennis courts. It was like a senior resort. Plus the gardens were beautiful and peaceful. I loved it.

Iris

• harshedbuzz

Good evening. I hope you all have a pleasant evening.

DH and I got our vaccines today. I was able to sign up for Novavax which I wanted to try. The pharmacy's computer switched me to Pfizer but was able to give the Novavax with some additional paperwork. The tech wasn't delighted but did honor my request. I was prepared to go elsewhere.

DH needs to go back for a Tdap and RSV in a month or so. The pharmacist suggested spacing them a bit. Normally I wait a bit for flu, but I'll be camping out at the hospital late next week, so I prefer to have it on board now.

HB

• Lorita

Hi, I had a nice surprise this morning. Well, just before noon. Went out to fill the water tank and on an old,Rose of Sharon, almost a bonsai, there were two beautiful, purple blooms on it. Made me feel happy. Went back later to turn off the water and there was a grasshopper on one of them. Both may be gone by tomorrow. I do have about ten feet of autumn clematis on the north fence, almost in full bloom. That is all there is this year. Normally the back yard would be full of Rose of Sharon and crepe myrtles, like big bouquets. Doesn't take much to make me happy. It has been a terrible summer. Sleep well, everyone.

• Mint

Good morning

New baby calf Lorita. They are so precious. The fall clematis are starting to bloom here too. Some leaves are starting to turn. It seems sort of odd as the temperatures have warmed back up and seems like middle of summer still. Im guessing i have osteoarthritis in my hand.

Im hoping to find Novavax. Going to wait a few more weeks.

• BethL

Mint, I read that CVS offers Novavax. Could vary by location. Do you still watch TWIV and do they recommend Novavax over the MRNA vaccines?

Painters here today, painting 3 rooms. Getting ready to put our house on the market. Should get our siding (post-tornado damage) in the next week or two. Praying all goes smoothly with our move. It's a lot of work and a lot of stress.

I'll try to BBL. Hugs, Beth

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning,

Thankful for the blessing of the rain holding off until we got these dogs to the Vet and home yesterday! They did just great. And now, they are back in the pasture happily rolling in mud, lol. Oliver the cat also did well.

Today is load the RV and make sure everything is ready to leave Wednesday. SIL and BIL are going to meet us and follow us to Georgia. Campground reservations are confirmed again (because I am just a bit obsessive about details when depending upon others). The weather is supposed to be nice. Dog, goat, chicken, cat and bird tenders are arranged. Menus are planned for each day, day trips plotted out, concert tickets are waiting at the gate. SIL has been instructed she cannot be CRAZY while we are away and if she decides to do that we will carry on while she sulks in her camper. And we have all agreed to not be bothered in the least. I have books and meds for myself, just in case. LOL

I have a turkey breast to put on the grill today to roast. Raining off and on here today with flash flood warnings around. We are high enough not to worry with that. Thank goodness. I also hope to get in my pantry to rearrange/organize today.

Hope everyone has a good day. BBL.

• harshedbuzz

Beth L— I got Novavax at my local CVS. I understand Costco has it as well. I chose it because of some research shared with me that suggested that adding a non- mRNA (Novavax) vaccine as a booster gives slightly better protection. The piece pointed out that people who had the J&J, plus Pfizer/Moderna boosters and a Novavax booster did very well. FTR, living where I do, I know a lot of folks in pharma and one of them is a little obsessed by COVID vaccines and treatments to an almost unhealthy degree.

That said, DH and I got it last night (5pm) along with the senior-flu shot. We both had a rough overnight with joint and muscle pain. He's kind of tired but otherwise fine. I got a headache, fever, chills and nausea/vomiting. Ibuprofen has the fever down to 100F and I'm starting to feel more human and it's not even 11am here. The last Moderna shot took me out of action for a full 36 hours.

Lorita— I hope the grasshoppers spare your flowers.

Jerilynn— I hope you packed plenty of wine.

HB

• BethL

Thanks for the information, HB. It's distressing how sick you were after the vaccine. Makes me think about forgetting it altogether. I did get sick after one of the Moderna vaccines - felt nauseated, got up out of bed, and passed out. I know the virus (seems to be) ramping up now. What's a person to do? 🤷‍♀️

• jfkoc

How many shots am I supposed to get at age 83???

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more