Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Peppermint…my DIL put me on to the oil. She gets it as a spray. I like it on the cotton ball and yes, I refresh the balls. However you use the scent it does work.

Yeah, what stove was ordered?

Why are we putting something in the sink?

Ron…nothing wrong with laughing and enjoying life. It does not take away from your missing Lou and believe me you will continue to miss her and will still have tears. Are you coming through Oklahoma?

Jo posted elsewhere so she is reading. Does anyone remember the name of the wonderful Christmas store she would go to?

Maybe Lorita is off getting her seat belts fixed.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Got 'em In without much trouble. They're about ten months old, two little boys and skittish. Filled the water tank and tried to get a hopper for Matilda - didn't. It is getting pretty warm out today.

Seat belts Thursday. Judith. Don't remember the name of the store Jo mentioned.

Zetta, we need to hear how you're adjusting to Arizona. Are you in the north or south part?

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello everyone, I'm keeping busy getting ready to move. We've lived over 30 yrs in our current home, so there is much to go through and sort. Today Salvation Army came and picked up some donations. I told them there will likely be more. I also watered for a few hours. It's very dry here again. We have painters coming this weekend to "neutralize" things. No more blue or yellow rooms! lol

The garden has less bloom now as fall is on the way. I'm keeping it weeded and watered as best I can.

Blessings to all, Beth

• jfkoc

Glad the cows are OK. Guess you will need to get on your horse and check the fencing just like on Yellowstone.

• jfkoc

My whole house interior is neutral…Pratt & Lambert Lily of the valley 7/8 color. I do have some painted floors that are decidedly not neutral!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,670
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

so i can stand up straight and wash the dishes. It feels much better to me.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I know that it is not easy to sell the the house and move. After my wife died I wanted to keep the house but my kids convinced me to sell, but it was not easy but after 37 years. I went from a 9 room house to a one bedroom apartment. I gave a lot away and donated a lot to my church

• Lorita

No horse. just a Gator! Darwin rides a mule ( fourwheeler). O know where the problem is but I don't want to have to build more fence right now.

I would hate to have to move because what do you keep? Beth, really good that Salvation Army will pick up. Wish they would here.

Tried to take a nap but cats had a different idea after an hour.

• jfkoc

Lorita…check your rental agreement. You may be responsible for the fences.

Mint…got it.

Salvation army picks up? Will they make decisions too…lol.

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thank you for all the kind words. It is hard to lose a grandchild that was living with me now that Bill died in March. His dad and siblings live with me also in SC.

I miss my friends at the Fla resort where we lived for 8 years. But it was not home with Bill gone.

So my sons came and packed to bring me to my home here in SC.

God Bless all of you

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My neutral color is called "Cream in my coffee" (Valspar). The painters use Sherwin Williams paint and will have the color duplicated. My baseboards and crown moulding are very white. They will paint the kitchen, which is now brown, the LR, which is now blue and the FR and breakfast nook which are now yellow. Primary BR is already neutral. One BR has floral wallpaper and the other is brown. One bath is cedar siding, one is white tile and hunter green paint and other has tan wallpaper with green accents. DR has wallpaper (hunter green).

New home is all neutral except for the (former) two little boys' rooms, one of which has brown wallpaper and the other has blue wallpaper. Also a half bath with wallpaper. They'll stay like that for the time being but could change later.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning

• Mint

Good morning

Ron think today is when Francine makes landfall. Prayers that things don't get too bad.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning,

So this is a picture of the stove. It is a KitchenAid propane gas. 5 burners. Single convection oven but with 3 oven racks, a steamer tray and steam clean. I think I will like that better than my current oven which has gas burners in the oven. Which means you cannot put a oven mat in the bottom, thus cannot use any cleaning products like "Easy Off" unless you want to blow up the house, lol. The bottom drawer can be used as a warmer or as a storage drawer. I got a discount for paying cash. The store is family owned and has been in business for 50 years. The Owner and his brother do the installations. I like that. And so does DH. He does not like having "just anybody" do work around here and he insists on "buying local" whenever possible. Another good thing about this is these folks also do repairs, so if anything goes wrong, they can work on the stove. I think I'll be happy with it so thank you HB. I got to thinking about the kids trying to sell a house with a RED stove in an open floor plan home in rural Alabama and decided I should not do that to them, LOL

Lorita, we got water piped to the barn and the back pasture yesterday! Our neighbor does that kind of work, landscaping and farms so he did it for us. Easier to water the animals. We have not fenced to allow them access to the back pond. It's so "snaky" looking back there and I know (even though I haven't "seen" them) there are Water Moccasins back there. I don't want my babies bitten. Getting power to the barn is next… time and money… I don't mind the money, I just wish everyone worked on my schedule, lol.

HB, I hate that you are having issues with your remodel. Good luck at Costco. lol

Grocery shopped yesterday and will get food made up to take to the BIL in Scottsboro today. DH will cook and I will clean house. I usually do Fridays and Mondays, but I'm Off schedule this week. We are slowly loading the RV for our trip next week. I'm also reorganizing my pantry. Bought small tubs to group things. I had some, but we buy so much for all these kids that things get a little disorganized. I like to be able to look at a glance to see what needs to be restocked. I try to keep a running list as we cook but that doesn't always work.

DH went to PT yesterday and has one more session then will be released early. He appears to be "fixed". I'm so glad. He also has been much more careful about being out in this awful heat. He scared himself, so while I hate that he had such an episode, it has been a beneficial learning experience for him.

Mint, I hear you about the dishpan. My sink is a white, deep one bowl farmhouse sink. I keep a rubbermaid mat in it and a plastic dishpan because it scratches so easily. I had to do that once DH came into my life as he kept putting things in the sink willy nilly and scratching it. He won't use the dishwasher, but he does wash dishes.

I think today might be clean the chicken coop day for me. Before the rain and wind from the hurricane get here tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone, BBL.

• Lorita

Morning, JeriLynn, the stove is pretty. Hope you really like it. I'm using one we bought for my mother many years ago. I use the NuWave oven a lot but do use the stove and oven some.

Good that you got waters to the barn. We put a hydrant just outside the corral when we got city water in 1995. Before that daddy had to carry water if he had someone up in the barn. Good luck on getting power out there. I have been trying to get power back to ours for almost a year. You talk to someone about doing the work and it sounds good but they never show up to do it. I only have one security light now and like having three. One is on the barn and another on the storage building that needs a new bulb. Really glad your husband has recovered from his heat problem. He may have to be more careful after this because it does something to your internal thermostat.

Ron, our weather just said you got some rain this morning. Really wish we could get some. Not quite as cool this morning but still really nice. To be hotter the next few days. Back later.

• JeriLynn66

Lorita, I agree it can be hard to line up work. Fortunately, we are on our 3rd generation of relatives and friends with the power company, the workers have dropped 3 used poles in our front yard as requested and DH's nephew does all our electrical work. Our neighbor has a trencher and ran the water for us. He and DH trade off some work now and again. I guess that is one reason DH tries to do "local business". So many of our families have been in this area for over 100 years and almost everybody knows "somebody" in the trades. We're blessed in that regard. The man from the Utility company called me back this morning within the hour. He knows my family and DH's family and they all work together. Sweet Home Alabama 💖

• Lorita

That's good, JeriLynn. Really makes it easier to get work done.

• jfkoc

It really helps to have a network of workers.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

JeriLynn, is a water moccasin the same as a cotton mouth snake? I almost got bitten by one when I was a child visiting a farm in NC.

I hope you have many happy years roasting and baking in your new oven.

Iris

• David1946

went to bingo today and did not win and as usual. maybe next week.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good evening.

I was up early ahead of mom's 3 appointments today. I wanted to catch up on the news and such before having to head out.

Yesterday was a bust. The new plumber came. I was hoping maybe this one would be better at addressing the problem. We discussed the issue and the potential fix. He consulted with the installer by phone, and it was decided the original guy would come back on Thursday. I mean, why do I have to wait 48-hours for a fix? The new guy promised me a nice soak Thursday night— yeah, they told me I'd have a nice soak on the 30th and again last Wednesday. I am not a happy camper right now.

The new glasses aren't ready yet. Maybe Thursday afternoon at the soonest. I should dig out my previous pair as the current ones are annoying.

I did manage to get mom to her surgery consult, then to Rite Aid for flu and COVID vaccines, then to Costco to fix her broken left hearing aid and spend $300 on stuff (including the P&G promotion and a tank of gas for me), then to the beer distributor for a case of Gaffel Kolsch (in bottles— so heavy) and then to Petco to buy her cat's furball treatment treats.

Vet Ely— My mom misses her old life in Florida. She had a wonderful social life there but needed to move north when dad was diagnosed. Most of her old group has either died off, moved to be nearer their kids or become caregivers to their own spouse. The thing she misses is no more sadly and the 55+ community to which she moved just isn't as engaging.

Beth— I still live with a lot of those deep colors of the early aughts— my kitchen and office are still a deep red. The kitchen and shared wall have Waverly paper from when that was just the thing. I was in the process of updating when dad was diagnosed and now I barely have time to clean much less sew and paint. At least I got to my halls, the bedrooms, library and dining rooms before my life went sideways. Ironically, mom's place looks like HGTV threw up in it. So much millennial gray.

I hope you and Ron are spared the wrath of Francine.

Jerilynn— That's mom's range except hers is natural gas. I hope you like it. I am a shop small and local kind of person, too. For major appliances, the manufacturers set the prices and allowable sales prices/dates, so the big box stores really can't do much better regardless of what they claim.

I'm headed up to get ready for wine, TV and then bed. I hope you all have a pleasant evening.

HB

• Lorita

Iris, They are cotton mouth water moccasins. Called that because the inside of their mouths is white, like cotton. That's what I had in my.house and the one on the front porch. Many years ago Charles was bitten by a snake but thankfully it wasn't a water moccasin. We were dressed to go somewhere so we flew low to the doctor. He had Charles sit with his hand in ice water for a while. I guess to prevent swelling. You were so lucky you weren't bitten.

• David1946

Good evening,tommorow i am going for blood work for a check up for my iron infusion last month. I will let you know the results as soon as i know the results.The only thing is my test is at 8 A.m.!!!!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, that snake had its mouth wide open and I saw the cotton mouth! Thst's how I knew what it was. I was upset that none of the adults had warned me or my brother about venomous snakes in the grass. I was about 8 or 9 years old.

HB, has your mom ever considered moving to Independent Living? There are a lot of activities for women in her age group. My cousin moved in about age 88 yo a wonderful IL place. I'm thinking of something like this for myself when I get to about 80 or so.

Iris

• JeriLynn66

Morning.

Last PT session at 7 this morning for DH. Grandparents Day School Lunch with the 9-year-old in Huntland at 11. Storms moving in today and tomorrow. I can't wait to wrangle 2 100+ pound wet and muddy dogs to the Vet tomorrow. I gotta find somebody that will come to the house. BBL

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning. Foggy here.

Iris— My mom absolutely refuses to consider CCRC. There are many very lovely ones near me. Were it not for our son, DH and I would be on the waitlist now at the Quaker one with all the amenities or the one in the heart of our adorable and walkable town.

I have a couple friends whose mom's live in such places and are living their best lives. But mom doesn't think of herself as "old" or needing "help". Her 4 closest, same-aged peers all live "independently" with various degrees of success. Her older sister is still very independent but the other 3 have a daughter(s) doing a lot of scaffolding in the background.

BBL— I need a shower before Bob the plumber turns up. He's the Moe among Stooges.

HB

• Mint

Good morning

Good luck HB with the plumbing

Ron how did you do with Francine? Hope you have power.

Enjoy grandmothers day JeriLynn. It passes so quickly and they grow up get work, married etc. and it seems so long between the times you get to see them.

Thinking of you today David. Hope the lab work goes well

• Lorita

Morning, just placed my pickup order from WM. Guess I'll go in and have the seat belts fixed. Side hurts some but it would at hone anyway and it's get hotter each dsy. No rain here but lots of c!ouds.

Good luck with your GPs, JeriLynn. Big dogs can be a problem getting them to the vet. Stormy will get in the car but have to find someone to lift Sheena in. Mike has come to the house many times to give allergy shots and trim nails but he is so busy now that I hate to ask. Stormy has stress seizures when he gets around people and dogs so I take him in Before the clinic opens. Thankfully Sheena no longer has to have allergy shots.

• David1946
    edited September 12

Good morning just came back from my blood work have to wait until I hear from the Dr. to see what's up.

Went shopping after blood work. Now I feel blah. My wife went to a Caregivers meeting last night and the leader said my feelings are to be expected.She also said it's no longer day by day it could be hour by hour. I guess my Dementia is slowly processing. Myself I can see some changes.

• jfkoc
    edited September 12

We had a Francine night here. My daughter is down on the coast…Mobile Bay. Girls get away. Severe storm warnings and lots of Tornado warnings.

I called her Tuesday and told her to change her flight to Friday but one of the husbands had been a Navy pilot and told them not to be concerned. I told her not to pay any attention to him. I know first hand that those pilots have no fear. Anyway, yesterday he became concerned. It was a late night with many phone calls. She did get her tickets changed to tomorrow.

Lorita…have you considered giving the dog something to relax him so that he can get medical care?

Ron…you probably got a lot of rain too.

BTW….COMPUTER WARNING…DO NOT STORE YOUR PASSWORDS ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more