Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning have a good Saturday

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Beth L— Yikes on the Moderna and fainting. Have the vaccines worked for you so far?

Judith— I know. Between DH and my mom, I feel I'm doing shots as often as I did when my son was a baby.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Morning, confusing. I think I will stick with Pfizer if they have it and will not get the senior flu shot at the same time. Don't want to mix vaccines. The only reaction I have had is a sore arm and feeling a little tired. I don't get any of the shots until mid to late October.
    I met one of the new workers this morning. He seems very nice. He fed the heifers and then drove down to the North fence. I like to know what is going on here so drove down. A calf had been out and he was pushing him back up to the gate. Asked him if he was going to feed my girls. Said he is but not as much or often as the heifers because they have more grass. He said my girls are more relaxed than most he feeds and look really nice. Made me feel good. We've always gotten comments on how good our girls look. I did notice one of the big barn doors is pushed out some so will have to check on that. Wind may have pushed it around.
    JeriLynn, hope you have a good trip. What did you have done for your dogs? Sheena is bright white with fluffy hair and never looks dirty. Stormy has slicker, long hair and doesn't look as clean. He rolls around in the dirt with his feet up in the air like he's riding a bicycle. I have never bathed them- doubt I could.
    Darwin went down early to cut wood. Thought he would be finished but found another big tree that had fallen out into the meadow so, more to go. Work on a farm is never done!

• Lorita

I just found a video entitled Seniors, walk like you're twenty years younger. It shows six exercises to do each day. I'm going to try them. I have some neuropathy from Morton's so maybe it will help. I picked up some avocado oil. How do you all use it?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Lorita I use avocado oil in place of any neutral cooking oil when I want a high smoke point.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

HB, I am a "NOVID." That's a person who has not had covid (per the AARP newsletter). I'm fortunate. I have had 5 shots, but none for quite awhile.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Glad things are getting done Beth. Know what you are doing is a huge undertaking and you will be relieved when all the dust settles. I do still listen to TWIV. They do not recommend one vaccine over the other. Daniel the infection disease doc did mention that he was hoping to take Novavax this year. I have not had COVID either as far as I know. What Daniel says is you may feel a little rough after vaccine but will feel rougher a lot longer with COVID.

Thank you for the link HB. Looks like i will have quite a few options so hopefully will work out. I had J&J then 2 pfizersall 6 months apart. The virologist & immunologist on TWIV seemed to think that was the spacing that would give you the max immune response. I have not had any since then. I kind of had Judith’s thought. I got the flu and pneumonia vaccine last year and thought that is enough for one year. Guess i should work RSV in somewhere.

i like avocado oil too.

Hope all of you have a quiet Sunday and hope I do too

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 15

I only had the first 2 vaccines. I have an appointment for the flu shot this month and will discuss with my physician again re: the latest vaccine. I did also get the pneumonia vax last month.

Lorita, we use "Mane and Tail" shampoo for the big dogs. Though they do not get baths as often as I would like. Lilly has a long, fluffy bright white coat with freckles on her face. Jake has short hair (more Anatolian) and is cream colored. Neither one is a fan of getting a bath. Or being brushed for that matter. They do cooperate, but they don't like it. I couldn't do it without DH. Since the Vet visit, Oliver the Cat is hiding under the huge armoire in the dining room. If he doesn't come out when called, I cannot reach him. I guess he's thinking "just try that again Lady, I ain't going nowhere!"

HB - you are correct on the wine. I made all the reservations for this trip (won't ever do that again).

SIL called DH last night to say she didn't really like the performer on the night I got tickets for them and she doesn't remember telling me she wanted to go on "that night" since she doesn't like that singer. And so it begins….

Had a nice long visit with my oldest daughter yesterday. Just the two of us. Sent her home with provisions, enough that she doesn't have to go to the grocery store. She had to have a new water heater this week, got a spider bite crawling under her house to connect a dryer hose, had to miss work one day to go to Urgent Care for that and just in general had a crappy week. So she was pleased to get a little pampering from Mama.

Well, instead of putting that turkey on the grill, I threw it in the crockpot. It was windy and rainy yesterday, so that made more sense. It turned out well, very flavorful. Not pretty but functional. I got all the dry food stuff together for the trip. Packed in baskets, ready to go. Clothes not ready. I may run down to TJ Maxx to look for some baggy lightweight pants that will be comfortable. I'm not liking my clothes anymore. I don't want anything "touching" me. lol Of course, DH is already packed.

Ok, enough rambling. Hope everyone has a good day.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning! Oldest son and grandson from Dallas visiting for the weekend. Next week will be busy; haircut, stopping mail, washing, packing, etc.

Ron

• Lorita

Morning, sound's like everyone is busy today.

JeriLynn, another pretty cloud picture. Clouds are fascinating with all of the different kinds.

Doing not much today but do want to try to assemble a new pump sprayer I bought to spray the wood preservative on my tree stump. Didn't want to use Darwin's for fear it might clog it up.

Ron, good you have company today. When is your trip to Missouri?

Watching morning news shows for a while, then will work on the sprayer.

Guess I'll get Pfizer booster again. Sandy, what was it you said about Moderna vs. Pfizer?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

No, really. How many. Flu, covid, Novena, RSV???

• ronald71111

Moving 199 back to top

• Mint

Judith I would be afraid to say for sure about that. If you trust your PCP that they continues to truly educate him/herself on the latest evidence based medicine I would ask them or your pharmacist if you trust them.

Last year i asked my physician what are you going to do if I come in here with COVID. He looked at me and when he saw i was sincere and not being difficult he told me. I gave him a thumbs up and said we are on the same page. Unfortunately physician offices here have turnovers frequently and he is gone. So I have to do this again in December with new physician.

If you want to know latest recommendations for any vaccine you can go to CDC website to find them.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

good sdvice…

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What a beautiful sunrise - it takes your breath away. Or at least it does mine. I was on the patio early this morning, and one thing lead to another, to another and now its turned into a project. I realized I kept putting 'stuff' on the patio. I put everything in its proper place. Then swept the floor, but it looks dirty, so out came the power washer! Well, if I'm power washing the patio I might as well wash the ceiling! Since I'd rolled up the outdoor rugs, I wagged them to the front yard and power washed them in the driveway. Oh wait - the front patio…..yup, it was power washed also. Of course I'm soaking wet but don't care. The only thing I really meant to do was wash the puppy - and no not with the power washer! I give her a bath in the kitchen sink, but blow her dry on the patio. She's next on my schedule then I've got to clean up and get ready for some Chief's football.

Ron I'm glad you've got some company and something to look forward to next weekend.

JeriLynn your SIL is a real prize, not. Hopefully you can tune her out. If she doesn't want to go that night, she doesn't have to go. Problem solved! She can sell her ticket and go some other time. Yup, you'll need medication to deal with her.

Back later. Dog to give a bath, a patio that threw up all over the yard, rugs all over the driveway and frankly I'm tired!

• Lorita

Eagkle, just reading what you did wore me out. Guess I'm a pantywaist(Charles' saying). How Happy you'll be now that it's all done.

I pumped up a Gator tire, got the trash together and out to the Gator and put the pump sprayer together and I'm pooped. Still have to take down the trash later and will see if the sprayer works after that. I'll spray the tree stump and tree slices tomorrow morning.

Do you not like the Cowboys? We never even discussed going to Dallas to see them but I did like Don Meredith and their coach back then. I plan on watching the Chiefs, too.

If any of you all have trouble opening jars, check out the jar opener on QVC. I have some arthritis in my hands from years of speed writing and typing so it is really hard to open jars or bottles. Could not make it without the opener. I remember years ago Patsy asked me if I had trouble opening things. The worst thing to open is the 10 lb. box of Milk Bones and the plastic the cereal comes in , inside the box.

• David1946
    edited September 15

Good afternoon, had a nice quiet day. Went to ALDI'S that was the highlight for the day.

• Mint
    edited September 16

Eagle it will feel good when it is all done. Hopefully you can sleep good tonight

Lorita I'm thinking you don't qualify for a panty waist.

I haven't been to Aldis in years. I like them but it is just another stop.

• ronald71111

That is my grandson with the ball who I'm going to Missouri to watch play.

Ron

• Lorita

Thank you, Mint. The little town where I shop doesn't even have a grocery store. Used to have two nice ones until WM moved in. No Aldis closer than ?60 miles. My sister in OKC used to shop there..

Eagle, the Chiefs had a scare, didn't they?

Took down trash and saw Daisy on the other side of the pond so we got back we drove over to check. She did a good job of throwing us off. . A cow will put her new baby down for quite a long time but she watches where it Is. We drove and drove and finally saw the baby stand up. If you search long enough they will usually stand up after a while. Daisy is black white face d and so is the baby. She has had three calves, all white faced. So very cute.

Iris, hope you and everyone else can have a good nights sleep.

Ron how old is your grandson? Bet he loves to play football. When you go, will you go straight up close to the Oklahoma State line or through Little Rock? Sleep well, everyone.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ron, your grandson looks really focused on what he's doing.

Lately I've been buying my wardrobe at Aldi's. I bought jeans shorts for the summer, now two pairs of trousers and a raincoat for the fall.

I drove 40 miles to a Townhall meeting, it was very informative and I did very well with the long drive, 1 hour each way.

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

• ronald71111

Good morning

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

3:45 am good morning to everyone.

Well, yesterday you would have thought it was Christmas around here. DH found a set of; I think they are called "Lift arms". They go on the tractor and enable you to switch out attachments. Like take off the backhoe and put on something else. The place we went was Boaz, AL. In the country. I mean, IN the country. The gentleman and his son run a tractor and truck repair place. The front yard of the house was full of older tractors, equipment and trucks of all kinds. Of course, DH spent an hour talking about tractors. They were very nice people. They used to farm 1200 acres and cattle. Not many small farmers left anymore. Right Lorita?

And wouldn't you know, the town before Boaz had a TJ Maxx! So, two birds, one trip. Oh, and DH also stopped somewhere and bought another lawn mower to fix and sell. The last one he sold was a commercial zero turn and he got $1300 for it. Not too bad.

Today is more "getting ready" for the trip.. And, a new wrinkle. DH has a granddaughter who lives in a travel trailer on his property. The trailer is new but had developed a leak and went in for service, so she and her boyfriend were staying with her Dad. Big drama. So today, they are coming here to stay with us for a while. That actually may be a good thing. The boyfriend is handy and we like him. They will feed the dogs, take care of the animals while we are away. And, he will help DH finish the last of the fencing. Win - win, I hope.

Ron, your grandson is very handsome. He was getting that ball down the field, wasn't he?! Wishing you a very good trip. If you find you cannot wear compression stockings, stopping every couple of hours to get and walk will help your legs.

Eagle my patio is a hot mess. Needs cleaning. Need to store cushions for the winter. But, our guests have two big dogs, so I think I'll wait. Maybe the boyfriend can help! Your cleaning frenzy sounds like me. When I see something, I HAVE to get it done NOW. Drives DH crazy. I'm glad you had a productive day.

Well, I'm going to the garage to sort some things until DH wakes up. He wants to get the grass and pasture cut before we leave so I know what else I'll be doing today.

Have a great day everyone.

• BethL

Good morning!

• BethL

Interesting YouTube video. All that he says, he has the documentation for. Here, in a nutshell:

Based on the high rate of global immunity and currently available data, the State Surgeon General advises against the use of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines.

Stay healthy by: • Staying physically active, • Minimizing processed foods, • Prioritizing vegetables and healthy fats, and • Spending time outdoors to support necessary vitamin D levels. Florida Department of Health, 12th September 2024 https://content.govdelivery.com/accou...

Updated Guidance for COVID-19 Boosters for the Fall and Winter 2024–2025: Season The Florida Department of Health is reminding health care providers of the importance of remaining up to date with current literature related to COVID 19 vaccines and boosters, and the importance of providing patients with informed consent. On August 22, 2024, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved and authorized updated versions of mRNA vaccines from Pfizer-BioNtech and Moderna. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press...The FDA approved the vaccine for people 12 and older and provided emergency use authorization for children 6 months to 11 years old. • Unvaccinated individuals 6 months through 4 years of age are eligible to receive three doses of the updated, authorized Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine or two doses of the updated, authorized Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.The stated target of these boosters is the Omicron variant which is not causing a significant number of infections. https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2024/wha... The most recent booster approval was granted in the absence of booster-specific clinical trial data performed in humans. Furthermore, this booster does not protect against the currently dominant strain, accounting for approximately 37% of infections in the United States. Florida references FDA again, https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-trac...There are currently limited data to inform whether these boosters offer any substantial protection against the virus and subsequent circulating variants. https://www.idsociety.org/covid-19-re...

Although randomized clinical trials are normally used to approve therapeutics, the federal government has not required COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers to demonstrate their boosters prevent hospitalizations or death from COVID-19 illness.

Additionally, the federal government has failed to provide sufficient data to support the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 boosters, or acknowledge previously demonstrated safety concerns associated with COVID-19 vaccines and boosters, including: • prolonged circulation of mRNA and spike protein in some vaccine recipients, • increased risk of lower respiratory tract infections, and • increased risk of autoimmune disease after vaccination.

Based on the high rate of global immunity and currently available data, the State Surgeon General advises against the use of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines.

The video is here. You can also open the description box under the video and you will see the printout of info, some of which I copied and pasted above.

This is food for thought. (Don't shoot the messenger! Do your own research and make your own decisions.)

• David1946

Good morning, nice weather today. On my way to my urologist for annual check up.

• Lorita
    edited September 16

Morning, looks like a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Darwin is off to burn some brush and I'm having my juice. Going to see if the sprayer works and try to get the preservative on my tree stump.

Very intetesting, Beth. Surely wish we had Dr.Fauchi to tell us what to do.

JeriLynn sounds like you all had a busy weekend. You are so tight in that there aren't many small farms anymore. The area where I live has changed from row crops with a few cows to almost totally pasture land and cattle..

Good luck on your appt. David.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning all. First off, Lorita you are certainly not a panty waste. Far far from it. yesterday was just a burst of energy that my knee's and I will be paying for for days. But sometimes you just have to do stuff. I'm got to get things all put back, but that can be slower. And, not everything is going back - less is better.

On occasion I'll shop at Aldi's, but not frequently. I don't like making 4 or 5 stops for groceries.

Boy the Chief's did give us a scare yesterday. Patrick just wasn't himself. Even though we live here, we are not in any fashion Cowboy's fans. Most people are, we aren't.

I need to toss some laundry in and go stare at the patio!

Be safe everyone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney