Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help With Care for My Mom & Myself

Diego11b
Diego11b Member Posts: 2
First Comment
My mother was recently diagnosed with Dementia. Currently, I have in-home help which I plan to continue as much as we can. I am wondering if anyone knows of support groups (the ones I've found in my area are already full). This is completely new to me and I want to ensure I am doing the best I can for my mother. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum Diego. This group, though not in person, has been the best support I’ve found. You can do both- your local Alzheimers association chapter will know of support groups near you. Many memory care centers also run support groups so you might call around there too. Read a lot of threads here and you’ll learn a lot. Look under groups, to the right- there is one for new caregivers with a lot of useful information. Biggest task for early on is getting legal and financial matters in order- look for a certified elder law attorney at nelf.org. You’ll want to have durable power of attorney for healthcare and finances.

• Diego11b
    Diego11b Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    > @M1 said:
    > welcome to the forum Diego. This group, though not in person, has been the best support I’ve found. You can do both- your local Alzheimers association chapter will know of support groups near you. Many memory care centers also run support groups so you might call around there too. Read a lot of threads here and you’ll learn a lot. Look under groups, to the right- there is one for new caregivers with a lot of useful information. Biggest task for early on is getting legal and financial matters in order- look for a certified elder law attorney at nelf.org. You’ll want to have durable power of attorney for healthcare and finances.

Thank you! I thankfully managed to get POA and has helped ease my anxiety due to her finances. I am starting to read the new caregiver tag. Much appreciated.
  • fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Diego, I found a general caregiver support group sponsored by my DH's hospice provider. It is open to the general public; one does not have to have a loved one in their care, nor do they try to 'sell' their services. Of the five of us who have come to the meetings, four of us are dealing with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's with other co-morbidities. The meetings are facilitated by a very knowledgeable and compassionate social worker. This group has been a great help for me.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

You may want to call some of the memory care facilities and see if they have groups that are open to anyone dealing with dementia. Mine does, and I went to one family group and there was absolutely no selling. Also your local alzheimers association chapter should have a listing on their site, with a drop down menu, and i dont think they have space limitations.

• mabelgirl
    mabelgirl Member Posts: 200
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

If you’re aarp aged they have many caregiver resources. Also check your health insurance for programs. My moms own LTC insurance provided for care taker training.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more