Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

memory loss

Maru
Maru Member Posts: 56
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

DH, diagnosed ES ALZ in June has been losing words for some time now, and that seems to be accelerating. This week he lost memory of two of his life events, one the wedding of our 2nd daughter some years ago. Yesterday, he asked me what I was listening to (bible in a year with Fr. Mike). His comment: "that sounds benelevent (sp?). He finished this study last year and had no recall at all, not even of the voice. I was shocked. It was so out of the blue. Does this mean that his memory loss is accelerating or does it mean anything at all?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Maru. Hold on to your proverbial hat, you will be shocked at the things that are forgotten. My partner has lost our whole 30 year history, including my children and grandchildren, her beloved farm , her whole professional career. There have been times when she doesn’t know who I am. It will be painful, but it will help a little bit if you’re prepared for it.

• Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 56
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

It was just so shocking as to this point he has only forgotten words or misused words or even the occasional made up words. He is so slick at it that half of the time I don't even catch it. But, to forget walking his daughter down the aisle, that was a surprise.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I remember one of the events where the impact of my mom's memory loss really hit home for me. I was with my then-eight year old son at a park, and we were on the tennis court hitting balls. It was a beautiful day. I remember thinking that these are the "normal days" of his childhood that I want to remember forever. And then the thought struck me: I wonder if my mom remembers anything about when I was eight? The realization that she likely remembered little to none of my childhood stopped me in my tracks. That was three years ago. I'm sure that all of those memories are gone now, or distorted and incomprehensible to her. Dementia is such a thief!

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I've also found that on very rare occasion DH will very briefly remember something that had been long forgotten. It is as though the brain synapses fire and receive accurately just for a moment. Beautiful when it happens, but not lasting.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more