Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia and Muscle Weakness

Kimikazi
Kimikazi Member Posts: 1 Member

My mom has been diagnosed with Dementia / Alzheimer's for about 2 years now. This past year i have been staying at my parents house as the adls for my mom are getting more difficult for my dad to care for her alone. We would like to keep her in her home as long as we are able to still care for her.💓

My mom's left side of the brain isn't working properly, especially when it comes to thinking and processing. For example, when she holds an object, she doesn't realize which hand it's in and has trouble letting go. It's as if her brain doesn't fully recognize what the right side of her body is doing.

Is it common for someone with Dementia to have one side, like the left, weaker than the other?

She had an MRI a couple of months ago and there wasn't anything noticeable. 🙏 All together she's a one assist but the left side is sure giving us trouble.🤔

Taking care of my own mom with dementia is the hardest thing I've had to do. I've worked with other patients before, and while it was challenging, it wasn’t nearly as difficult as caring for someone so close to me. 💓

🥀Blessings,

Kim Wetterstrom

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care