Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Mom and Lifelong best friend Dx with Alzheimer’s

1359Pond
1359Pond Member Posts: 4
5 Care Reactions First Comment
My mom was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. She has been my best friend and person my whole life. This disease has changed her personality, morals and values. I am only 50 and I miss my Mom and my person every day. I am so angry at her for having this disease, which I recognize is ridiculous. But I’m already grieving the loss of who my Mom has been my whole life. Most days I’m okay, but every now and then I cry for hours. Am I alone? It all feels terrible.

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi 1359Pond - welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason.

You are not alone. Not by any means! What you are feeling is very normal. unfortunately…

It is exactly why 'this' horrid disease is called 'the long good-bye'. We grieve, even though physically, our LO is still with us. sort of. 'this' thing is not them any more. So yes, we grieve. Go ahead and be angry at the disease. Maybe get some therapy or talk to someone if you need to.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You are reacting very normally under the circumstances. We call it the long goodbye for this very reason. Hugs to you. Keep coming here - there's lots of wisdom and support.

• 1359Pond
    1359Pond Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia