Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When to move?

My husband was diagnosed with MCI a year ago and is declining. We had planned to downsize, but now I'm wondering if that would be too disorienting for him. He already carries a lot of anxiety before this diagnosis, and I worry that a move will accelerate his condition. On the other hand, it really is time to get out of this house--too much to take care of. He might consider a move to a retirement home, but I think it must have memory care and the ones near us (where I can stay connected to our friends and family) are huge institutions. I'm so NOT ready for that...

Comments

• Lkrielow99
    Lkrielow99 Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

I’m sorry you are having to make such a big decision. My husband was placed a few weeks ago and I need to move also. It’s all so overwhelming and any change in his world causes massive confusion and agitation. I would image if my husband was at home, a move would not be possible without him declining. Everyone is different. Right now, unless I’m 100% certain of anything, I do nothing. Stillness is my friend. No move for me yet. Much love to you in these trying times.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum Sally. I say do what you need to do with your own future in mind. He is going to decline, regardless, and whatever makes it easier on you. We didn't downsize when we should have -long and complicated story, and I regret it. Now I'm stuck with a large farm to manage that for tax reasons can't be sold until she dies, and it's almost overwhelming. Your moving is not going to hasten his deterioration, you may be better off doing it sooner rather than later. However, the majority of the packing and cleaning up may need to be done after you relocate, rather than before, to minimize the disruption to him.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My mom moved in with me when she was in very early stages. We did it then so she could adjust more easily. It did not cause a decline and she did well.

Everyone reacts differently. Hopefully, if you move, it will go smoothly for you. Also, there can be temporary setbacks. When there's a change, there may be a decline and then the individual can return to baseline. There really is no way to know.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 169
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Sorry you have to make these decisions on your own. We moved to FL and drove with a dog and cat in the car. We did not care for the heat and moved back to Ohio after 1 1/2 years. Then we moved for the last time into a retirement community. This all started 5 years after his diagnosis of Alz. I must say, I don’t think he declined any more than he would have without all the moving. It was so much work for me, but he just went with the flow and was fine. We are at year 10 now, and he does ask me occasionally if we are moving again. When I tell him “no” he says, “Good.”

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am 13 years younger than my DH. I love my home and the less populated area we live in. My DH has always loved this place as well. I have made the decision that we will stay put. There may come a time I need to place him, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. He will and is progressing. But I need to think of myself as well and where I will want to live. My point in a round about way, is each decision we make is our own. All of us have individual needs and ideas of how we proceed in life with this disease. Whatever decision you do make, please include yourself in the decision making.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 265
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree that you have to make the choice that works best for you. Also, if you decide to move, prepare yourself for having to do all of the work by yourself. My DW, a major helper in things all her life, sat there in utter overwhelm, apathy and depression from her dementia and I had to pack the entire house and arrange every, single thing. It was not an easy move on that front. Good luck!

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 55
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My thought process was similar to @trottingalong. We downsized into a townhome where I knew I would be happy and it is suitable for him to age (and decline) in place for a while. He’s aware he has Alzheimer’s and actually suggested back when we bought it that the house should be in my name only. This gave him (and me!) comfort that I have a home of my own and will not have to worry about moving regardless of what may have to transpire down the road with his care.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

I too downsized 6 years ago. I actually made the decision to move based on what I felt I needed for my future without him. We downsized from a very large home with a huge front and back yard into a much smaller home with min. maintenance. He was unable to really assist in the move or purchase of the new home. I did the packing , unpacking and made arrangements for the move on my own. It was work for sure.

DH adjusted to the new home and now doesn't even remember living any place else. I am glad we moved when we did. I am enjoying not having a hugh house to clean, cool and heat. Yard work is fun now and is just watering a few plants and planting flowers during the different seasons.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

as others have said, do what is best for you. Caring for your LO consumes much of your time and energy. The less house and yard work the better. We moved into a one bedroom apartment, ground floor. Even cleaning that alone at times was exhausting while caring for my DH.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

PS: the sooner the better.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

My advice is to find the place you want to be in stage 8 and move there.

That said, I would address his baseline anxiety by discussing medication with his doctor. This is often treated with a low dose SSRI.

FWIW, my dad was the PWD and mom deferred to his preferences which was to avoid a diagnosis and me. He sensed I recognized his increasing incapacity and knew I would take steps to take away his independence. He wasn't wrong.

By the time things went completely sideways, dad was too impaired to participate meaningfully in any decisions made and mom was too busy as a caregiver to manage the logistics or execute the actual moves. Plural, because the initial move was made under emergency circumstances with little input from either. Their moves were complicated by them having 2 homes quite a distance from me.

I moved them into a 55+ active adult apartment complex which they hated— it was lovely, but they missed the room, views and outdoor space their other homes which overlooked a pond /golf course. The first move was while dad was in rehab after a hospitalization. I moved enough to set up the apartment and arranged the sale of the home.

Once it sold, I was able to find a house in a 55+ active adult community that backs up to woods and a small lake which has many amenities and is walkable to shopping/dining. Dad's since died, and the house is ideal for mom as all the external maintenance is done for her by the HOA. My niece found the house, mom and I toured it, it was titled in mom's name only on the advice of her CELA. She did go through the theater of having dad tour the house with his brother raving about it which made him feel as though he'd made the decision which helped with his acceptance of the move.

I put them up in hotel for the weekend and oversaw the move again. Then I arranged to rent the FL house for the winter season while it was up for sale. I sold that one turnkey, so moving the stuff was a mere PODS container and shipping a car. We never told him we sold the second place.

The window on moving is going to close soon. TBH, we moved dad fairly late in the game. He'd already split his year between MD and FL; perhaps he was more used to moves than most. He didn't seem to progress as a consequence of the moves and overtime became confused enough that he thought he was in FL rather than PA.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney