Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caring for LO when they're sick

Hi everyone, I've been absent for a bit -- we hit a semi-stable routine while we wait for our appointments with the new physician's group that was recommended to us.

This post is one-part me venting/unloading about the Great Excitement of the past few days and one-part seeking wisdom.

For those who don't want to read the entire post + context, here are our main questions:

1. Any tips for caring for LO with dementia who is sick with a cold/flu
  2. Any tips for remaking a bed with LO who is not mobile still in bed
  3. Any tips/game plans you've used for preempting BM messes/accidents

I caught a cold and then despite our best efforts it has eventually made it's way to my Dad. My Mom got sick after me and then a few days after that my Dad started showing some symptoms.

We've never cared for him while he's sick before (in this new post-hip surgery, lower baseline w/ dementia, etc situation) and it has been a trip and a half. I've slept over at my parents' the past two nights to help. My dad is not mobile and is unable to walk, he can usually transfer to his wheelchair or commode. He can also usually maneuver around in the bed. On a typical day, my Mom is able to assist my Dad with using the commode and getting him cleaned up on her own. He's had one accident prior to this while I was home alone with him.

On Sunday night she called me to ask me to come over to help, my husband went with me. My Dad had had a BM accident, had a fever, was slightly out of it cognitively, and was unable to use his legs correctly. This was all freaky and, as you can imagine, not a great time for anyone involved.

We got him cleaned up and my husband got my Dad in and out of wheelchair, my Mom and I remade the bed, etc etc

And then the BMs kept happening (this is unusual for him, we have an entire BM maintenance routine worked out to make sure he is going semi-regularly). After some late night/early morning trips to the only 24-hr store in our area, we are (hopefully) sufficiently prepared with materials. We have reusable bed pads, disposable bed pads, adult diapers with tabs, adult diapers that are more like briefs, a bed pan...

By Monday morning we were running on no sleep. He doesn't always understand or remember that he's just had a BM or an accident. Doesn't think he's sick, says he's never been sick. He's been taking the tylenol we give him for his fever, but everything is met with skepticism and as soon as he's grumpy he becomes resistant or refuses.

We don't know what will work best for us and him, so as ever, it's a learning process.

We also learned that my Mom and I are able to lift him if absolutely necessary. Getting him and the bed clean while he's been sick has been a two-person job.

I know that the automatic reaction is to get him into adult diapers (which we did do on Sunday as a last resort after the first two messes), but we really prefer to not do that because he knows they're not underwear and it bothers him and he fixates on them. They kept putting diapers on him while he was in rehab (he never had any accidents that they told us about -- and I did ask) and he would take them off, which is certainly not ideal in this current situation.

Our current game plan is to keep the bed pads under him for the foreseeable future and if he has the urge to go, we might try the bed pan. But because he doesn't think/understand he's sick and he doesn't remember that he's had all this BM-related excitement going on, it's hard to convince him that it's the best option is for us to have him to go in bed (either in a diaper, in the bed pan, etc).

All this new planning is hopefully for the duration of his cold, because before this he was still able to transfer from the bed to the commode and his wheelchair.

------------------------------------------

It's been about 8 hours since I originally typed this up -- wanted to add some details of how today has been to see if anyone has had similar experiences. He is in an awful, grumpy mood. Says he wants to die, refuses to eat, says he wants to be left alone. Still is not agreeing/understanding that he's sick. Not that we're arguing with him about it, just mentioning that he has a cold and then he disagrees and then says he's never sick. We understand that all of this is a manifestation of the fact he doesn't feel good, but do we just wait it out?

As always, every day is new and tomorrow may be completely different. Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Comments

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 356
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

If he had a fever and increased confusion, I would consider that delirium and a reason to be seen by a physician—-unless your family is not seeking medical care for him? It sounds like he needs a medical evaluation.

• mawvkysc
    mawvkysc Member Posts: 5
    Legacy Membership First Comment

First off I’m so sorry for this tough time.

Question # 2 I would suggest checking on YouTube. I found it very helpful when my FIL became bedbound.

• pookabera
    pookabera Member Posts: 71
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you! My Mom and I did actually practice bed pan usage last night. We watched a Youtube video and then practiced on each other, which was super helpful!

• pookabera

Hi, thanks for your reply. Now that we're a couple days out from the initial set-in of his cold, the fever hasn't returned and he's back to his usual baseline. We gave him tylenol very quickly after we realized he was running a fever and it brought it right back down.

He's housebound, extremely resistant to medical care/anyone in the house taking care of him other than my mom and I. Had his fever not been manageable with the OTC things we had (which we consulted with a pharmacist about for best practice) we would have had to make some other decisions.

Our ultimate goal is to coordinate with a hospice team and we're hopeful that the new physician we're going to be meeting with soon will be a good fit as well.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 356
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

@pookabera great news that he’s doing better! Sorry, I probably sounded really abrupt. Please forgive me. After watching my family member caregiver underestimate the severity of our PWD’s 2 episodes of delirium, I wasn’t sure how much others knew about it. Our PWD had a UTI with bacteria growing from his blood during 1 episode. Luckily you are very capable and informed and doing an incredible job. I sometimes inappropriately assume everyone is similar to my family member. Sending you strength, comfort, & courage going forward.

• pookabera

Thank you! I didn't take it any other way than you meant it - I figured you were making sure I had all the info I may have needed. :-)

He went through delirium after breaking his hip, which then intensified into hospital-induced delirium which was way out of left field for us. The full gamut of delirium symptoms which very atypical for him, it was jarring how out of it he was before his surgery.

I do appreciate you checking about it and providing info! Thank you!

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I think it’s great to get hospice involved! The CNA and nurse can help teach you how to change the bedding with him in it. I got a CNA license in prep for my mom coming to live next door to me and being her primary caregiver. It was invaluable and taught me how to do those bedbound things, along with so much more. Of course that’s not the best path for many. Even if your dad is only on hospice for some months and then discharged, they’ll be wonderful help while they’re there. I imagine there are videos on changing the sheets for a bedridden patient too.

After mom was bed ridden, she was constantly picking at her tabs, adult diaper etc… when alone, which was only while I slept in the next room. In fact, as many here have heard many times, she was always picking at something. At night I learned to create a barrier between her hands and her diaper by putting little stuffed animals in her hands, under the covers and push the sheet right next to her hips and tuck it under her a little. She’d fiddle with the little animals for who knows how long and didn’t have the cognitive ability to figure out the tucked in sheet. That really helped us.

Im so sorry for these troubles!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney