Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mental Health Care

rosecoloredglasses
rosecoloredglasses Member Posts: 27
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
edited February 7 in Caring for a Parent

Hello everybody! I am currently looking for some mental health care options for myself (CG) and my mama (LO), but I am having a difficult time finding therapists/psychiatrists that have experience treating those with dementia/caregivers for LO with dementia. Every one that I've been in contact with either does have experience but does not take mine or my mom's insurance, or they do take insurance but they don't have any experience with dementia patients and are not willing to take her on as a patient. Is there a specific title for the type/types of therapists and psychiatrists that do handle those with dementia/care givers?? Any advice is highly appreciated, much love to you all!

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@rosecoloredglasses

I would be highly suspicious of any psychologist or counselor who would be willing to take on a PWD beyond the very earliest stages and probably then only if the person was an existing client. PWD don't have the memory, empathy, executive function or reasoning skills to learn the strategies taught in therapy, identify when they'd need to apply them and actually recall what they are. Psychiatrists generally only do medication management, not therapy. Most psychiatrists do not accept patients over a certain age-- typically 70 or 75. If mom needs medication management then the professional you would need is a geriatric psychiatrist. They specialize in medication in the elderly and those with dementia.

The insurance situation is not unusual. IME, I have a son with special needs who has seen a psychiatrist, a clinical psychologist and talk therapists over the years. None of them have ever accepted any insurance he's had at the time. I'm told the record keeping required for insurance and the minimal reimbursement makes taking insurance unsustainable long term. DS's professionals have wait lists without having to take insurance so they don't.

It can be really hard to find a therapist with dementia-caregiver experience. I was able to get my mom-- who doesn't have dementia-- in with a general psychiatrist who referred her to a talk therapist but the fit was not a good one. I never found one better who was reasonably close. Often hospitals with memory centers will have people available working in this niche. Mom got more out of her IRL support group.

Good luck.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Rose, you should find mental health options for yourself, but I doubt if therapy is appropriate for your mom. Dementia typically precludes being able to benefit from therapy because there is no capacity for insight or behavior modification. Now, she might need to see a geriatric psychiatrist if she needs medications for behavior control, but that is a completely different issue from "therapy."

• rosecoloredglasses
    rosecoloredglasses Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My mom is only 59 though, would a geriatric psychiatrist still be helpful? I'm 24 and don't know really anything about this stuff so I'm learning as I go haha.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

yes, a geriatric psychiatrist would still be appropriate IF it were for a medication issue. Good for you for seeking help for yourself--this is a lot to deal with at any age. Your local Alzheimer's Association Chapter--or as harshedbuzz said, a regional Memory Care center--might have names of therapists with experience in this area.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@rosecoloredglasses

It must be difficult assuming the role of caregiver for a PWD as a 24-year-old. There are so many other important things you need to be doing at your age to make a life for yourself-- establishing a career, building a social network, perhaps finding a romantic/potential life-partner, planning for your own future wants and needs while trying to enjoy what should be a relatively carefree time in your life. Plus, this is something your peer group just isn't going to relate to.

If your mom has EO dementia, then a geriatric psychiatrist would be the go-to professional for medication management.

HB

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

If you found an experienced-in-dementia therapist, I could see your mom going if you went as a couple at first? maybe. Depends are where she is on this journey. You’re so young and I’m really sorry this is becoming your reality. Your Area Agency on Aging may have some ideas on therapists who are knowledgeable.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more