Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (194)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 11

No, it is not vegetarian. Go ahead and make without the meat. It will still be good.

My nail was delivered.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Judith, everyone should always have a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce on hand. Take it everywhere with you, if what your eating is bland, add the hot sauce and it will be alright. I know Louisiana hot sauce saved many k rations in Vietnam. Why would anyone not have a bottle on their table!

Ron

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ronald71111

Only one?

Hot sauce takes up so much real estate in my fridge. Tabasco, Tabasco Scorpion, Texas Pete Original and the little peppers kind, siracha, El Yucateca and some Thai Chili sauce are in play here currently. I don't use it as a condiment, but it does find its way into a lot of things I cook. DH and DS splash it on liberally.

• ronald71111

HB, got both and take up very little space, also keep Trappey's Louisiana hot peppers on hand.

• jfkoc

I only use the Louisiana Hot Sauce. It has the flavor and not the heat.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Trappy's is also a MUST have for greens... DH puts the red stuff on his if it's handy.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

We always had tobacco and Louisiana hot sauce. I can't handle Tobacco but use the other on lots of things. Can not eat scrambled eggs without it. I add some to soups andbbrown beans, too. Charles liked hot things so we always had canned jalapenos, too I'm tired this evenings been laying on the divan the last hour or so. Just put on my robe and gown.

Our mail ran after 3 today. She usually runs about noon so must have had pickup troubles - the roads are okay as far as I know.

I watched On Golden Pond last night and alternated laughing and crying. That was Henry Fonda's last movie. He passed away the next year.

I think I have enough of the soup I made left for supper. Always add hot sauce and a big table spoonful of cottage cheese. May make some more before I lose those onions. JeriLynn, I like hot sauce or vinegar on spinach. Also like creamed spinach.

• littleme
    littleme Member Posts: 70
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hello from a very hot down under. Officially we started autumn (fall) at the beginning of March, but the last few days we had had summer--- 4 days over 105 midday, and the nights were in the 90s. So glad I had airconditioning during the day, and a fan over the bed at night. Coundn't sleep otherwise.

Yes Lorita, the wide verandas (porches) around the houses are to cope with the hot weather. Lots of other benefits too. Increased the living area cheaply, without having to build outside walls --lots of people used light wooden blinds or over-hanging creepers to block the sun on the west. The whole veranda would become a sleeping area in the summer, with beds scatterd around. I especially loved to lie there and watch the lightning during electrical storms. Then, as family finances improved, the outside walls could be built; in my Dad's case with windows above sill height. Then you could open the windows and still catch any breezes.

Sorry about all the details. You got me remembering.

Barbara

PS I'll find an old photo taken before the windows went in.--- 1946

• ronald71111

Just saying good night to all where I can get 194 back on top.

Ron

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Great trip home, but the things I have to do for Bill to have military burial and transported To SC from Fla cost an arm and a leg!

Will take a month to get VA benefits started!

Had a shocker! The company Bill retired from sold the company and his life insurance was cancelled and we were not notified!!

We will have the Funeral on Tuesday at Ft Jackson SC cemetery

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited March 12

Shirley sorry some things are not going so smoothly.

Nice to hear from you Marie, glad you are ok.

David i like scrambled eggs for breakfast too. Have them several times a week. Usually mix some salsa in with mine. Apple nut bread sounds good. Usually have an Oatmeal Pancake that i put different fruits in the batter with my egg. Do you cook other meals too? If you noticed your post isn’t here it is because it is under Just Need To Talk To My Friends (193). Lorita starts a new post once in a while as it seems to go more smoothly that way. We are now using her new one which is Just Need To Talk To My Friends (194).

HB glad you enjoyed Rons recipe. I have never learned to like sausages. Think it is because growing up we did not eat them. Don’t eat much hot sauce either. Have a bottle of Siracha on my island as my nephew likes it on his eggs. I do put red pepper flakes in some things. Maybe I should try the Louisiana sauce, sounds like i might like that.

Beth your granddaughter did a good job drawing the picture, sky was beautiful.

Have found a You Tube channel where this guy makes pizzas. Can’t say I’m learning a lot as he is very professional and a bit over my head. But I enjoy watching him and learning a little. Think how I found him was I searched can you use fresh mozzarella on pizza . I discovered that it is a very low in sodium compared to other cheeses. So I learned from him you can. You need to cut it up the night before and let it drain in refrigerator overnight so don’t make pizza wet. Then saw him make a pizza with thin sliced steak and fresh mozzarella. I can make a pretty low sodium pizza that way. Hope to try it before too long. One slice of regular pizza can have a 1,000 or more mg. I do pretty good at keeping mine in the 1509-2000mg range each day. I had been making with seasoned hamburger, think steak will be better. If i keep watching may get more ideas.

Goodnight 😴🌙

• Lorita

Barbara, I enjoy reading about your memories. They bring back some of mine, too. Your memory of sleeping on the porch in the summer reminded me that we did the same. We didn't have air conditioning or a water cooler, only a fan. When we were in the midst of an Oklahoma heat wave we'd sleep on the porch on pallets. Sometimes it would be almost full. Mother had three brothers and many times a couple of them would be here helping daddy on the farm. The year Eisenhower was elected they moved their bed out under a tree.I remember when it was because I was young and they bought me a white leather fringed jacket! Now I'd be afraid of spiders or snakes but no one seemed to worry about that.Keep on writing about your memories, Barbara.

Shirley, sorry things are so expensive for you. You know the VA will pay some on the funeral. Seems like I had to waif a month ot so for VA benefits to come through. Lots of paperwork. Knowing you, you'll do just fine getting it done.

Mint, I like salsa on my scrambled eggs, too. I often think I'll have scrambled eggs and hash browns for breakfast but never take the time.. Charles and I used to make deep dish pizzas from scratch. Had leftovers for lunch next day. Seems like now I just don't take the time for cooking much or trying new dishes. I do think I'll try French bread pretty soon. Have you made that?

Thanks, Ron for brining 194 to the top. Having two going while we change over can get confusing. See you all tomorrow. Reminds me Okla. i s trying to get a bill through to lock the clocks but they day it's so we'll have an extra hour of.sunshine. We'll have the same amount either way just st different times. I don't like the changing. Bad for our health and more wrecks the first week.or teo. Sleep well.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Here's some giant Tabasco for you all:

• harshedbuzz

Good morning porchlings.

I'm still adjusting to DST; it's almost 7am and still dark. I don't mind the dark mornings, but the change always messes with my sleep for a week or so.

@ronald71111 I'll have to add Trappy's Louisiana Hot Sauce to my cart if I see it. The boys are always happy to try something new. I've been adding 3-4 of those little peppers to beef stew and pot roast which gives it a bit of warmth and interest.

@Lorita My boys are fond of jalapenos as well. I go through almost a jar a week.

@littleme The house is awesome. Such a brilliant design for a hot summer. Both my mom and my DH grew up in homes that had a sleeping porch with 2 walls of nearly floor to ceiling windows that could be open to whatever breeze was available.

@BethL Your granddaughter is quite talented. That is an amazing piece. Sharpie is an unforgiving medium.

@Mint Thanks for the tip on the fresh mozzarella. I'll have to try that as I have found it does make a pizza "damp". It can be difficult to cut it into slices that are thin enough to melt nicely even using a wire cutter.

I make pizza a lot. We had it last night. DS had a pepperoni and DH and I split and "Italian Flag Pie"-- mozzarella (white), chunks of San Marzano tomatoes (red), and spinach sauteed in olive oil with garlic (green). Last week DH and I had a gorgonzola and chopped walnut pizza.

Do you make your own crust? Do you make a thin Neapolitan-style crust or more of a midwestern thicker crust pie?

@VetEly I am sorry for unwelcome shock about the insurance policy on top of the loss of your dear husband Bill.

HB

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning Rockers!

been up since 2:45 am and took the opportunity to clean the fridge, do some laundry, work on my home office and haul stuff in from the garage, moved all the tax stuff to the dining room table for sorting, answered emails, wrote checks for the Shop and swept the kitchen, cleaned 2 bathrooms and talked to my SIL who also has insomnia. Thank goodness for someone to talk to at Darkthirty in the morning! Now I’m taking a break and wondering what to make for dinner?

Lilly and Jake left us a gift yesterday. A nice SNAKE right between the feed box and the water trough… kind of “thanks for feeding us” I guess. It’s funny how they bring the results of their guarding work for us to see. I let DH take care of feeding yesterday, I’m not a fan of snakes of any kind though they have their purpose.

Sunny and 70 degrees today but the wind is still very cool. The sunshine is wonderful except for highlighting the need for windows to be washed 🙄.

Oh well, back to work for a bit. Hope everyone has a good day 😃

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

How do I post on 194 ? Have not tried salsa on my eggs I will check with my wife to see of it's o.k. I make Omeletts sometimes.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

David, you just posted on "Just need to talk to my friends (194) - good job!

• Lorita
    edited March 12

Morning, Must have been a night for insomniacs. I woke up at 3 and couldn't get back to sleep. JeriLynn, J didn't get up and get anything accomplished- just thought about things and kept changing positions. Finally got back to sleep and didn'\t get up til 8:45- unheard of. Now I remember why I woke up- the phone made a funny noise like a message was coming through.

So far my GPs haven't brought gifts to me which is fine. I've had enough of snakes after getting all of those out of the house two or three years ago.

Gray Lady gave up on me giving her feed this morning. She's down the road grazing. It's too windy to even feed the birds. The feeders are swinging in the wind.

Iris, are all of those Tobacco sauces at your house?

David, try salsa on your omelet or Louisiana hot sauce either.

There is the cutest Alegria sandal on QVC this morning but I don't feel like paying a hundred dollars. I have a couple of pairs of Clarks sandals I wear in the summer and that's enough for no more than I go somdwhere.

What is it about this time change? I can't get over being sleepy and not wanting to do anything. Doesn't look like one hour difference would do that.

Thinking of you and your family today, Shirley.

Need to take something for my headache and sweep the floors which is a daily thing. Guess the GPs track in the dirt. Sandy, I still need to trim my toenails. How about you?

• Mint
    edited March 12

Thanks for sharing picture Barbara. Im pretty sure it is the closest i will get to seeing Australia .

HB interesting that you say it is hard to sliced fresh mozzarella. He did not cut slices, he cut it into like small cubes and just threw it around on top. It wasn’t always cube shaped either. Sometimes it is rectangular shaped and a little thicker than a slice. When it melted there was just like little puddles of the mozzarella all over the top and I don’t literally mean in a puddle but the whole top wasn’t covered in a layer.

I usually make a thicker crust to a medium crust. I like all crust including a real thin crust. I guess I just never have learned to make that one yet , maybe in the future. Do you make your own crusts? Do you have a recipe for a thin one? I make my own crust so I can use the oils etc. that I want to use.

Oh, and that’s another thing he always drizzles a little olive oil on the top of the pizza before he bakes it. I have never done that. I also watched a couple of channels on picking out a good olive oil. Because a lot of recipes will say use a good extra-virgin olive oil well I’m clueless whether it’s good or not. So I picked up on a few things question is will I be able to find anything like that in my small town, we’ll see. I guess there’s always a Amazon, I know it should be in a glass bottle, maybe it can get here unbroken.

Oh my JeriLynn it is no wonder you are dizzy. You surely have much more stamina than I do.

David you got it. Just at the end of the title you click on it should say 194 at the end not 193. 194 will always stay at the top unless someone else would go in and post under 193 again so hopefully you won’t have that problem anymore. Lorita had just started the new one so they both were there. It should drop out of sight soon if it hasn’t already. Don’t worry about It’s OK even if you do. We’ll get it figured out. So nice to have you sitting on the porch with us.

Saw a girl i worked with at grocery store today. So nice to run in to one of them.

• jfkoc

Gray Lady is in the road? I guess cars are not going fast enough to hurt her.

Daylight Saving Time was initiated in WW1 to conserve energy. It is a good thing to keep.

Hi to Jo.

• Lorita

Sorry, Judith, she's in the xriveway. So far she hasn't gone down to the road -

gate is closed anyway. A few months ago I had come through the open gate and a car stopped wth a couple of men In it. Two cows had gotten out and they got them back in for me. Those vehicles usually go ninety to nothing except there's a low , rough place just to the left of the gate so they're going slower now and there's new gravel on the road, too.

How does changing the time save energy? We stop all have the same hours of light. For Mike it's better because he has time after the clinic closes to do other things before dark. I like moire light in the morning but I wish they would leave it one way.

The wind is awful this morning. Think it's going to blow in something not good.

• Lorita

Well, I got that done and put iodine across the ends of my toes like Charles' Podiatrist always did after cutting his toenails. Bur, I wonder how this happens -the older we get, the shorter we get and the farther away our toes get!

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I like salsa and

MY wife also but she doesn't like it on eggs since I will find something else to change the taste of the eggs. I'll try peppers and ham,and cheddar cheese and whatever else I can think of.

• jfkoc

I can not find where I read about time and WW1 but here is another article;

Why and when the US started changing the clock | CNN

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

FYI for anyone having trouble with finding this thread...once you find it on the discussions board look to the right of the title...there is the outline of a small flag...click on that and it will fill in with black. This is like setting it to your favorite.

Next time there is a post on that discussion topic you will see a red circle with a number in it on the bell at the top right of the banner at the top of the page. Click on that and it will bring up a list showing the topic you are looking for. Click on that and it takes you right to the comments you have not yet read.

• jfkoc

Iris...looks like you are going straight to Tulsa. The Philbrook is lovely. I can't comment on the Mercantile or the sewing machine museum. Sorry you have no stops here in OKC. I would certainly try to find you here if only to say hello. I am interested in what you are seeing in Texas.

• harshedbuzz

@Lorita Those sandals are something else. I imagine the floral ones might not work with many outfits-- for a shoe I'd wear maybe 4 months out of the year, I'd want something that goes with most of my wardrobe. I treated myself to some Big Buckle style Birks last year on final markdown, so I'll be good for the next 5 years anyway.

@jfkoc I can appreciate the energy savings during WW I, but many factories producing goods for the world wars were operated around the clock. <shrug> A lot of sleep specialists claim the change interferes with optimal sleep.

@Mint I do make my own dough. I started with the recipe from Romagnoli's Table cookbook but have tweaked it over the years.

Pizza Dough

enough to make 2x 15" round pizzas

2 3/4- 3 cups of "00" Flour-- I use either imported (Anna or Caputo are good) or King Arthur.

I mix the flour in my food processor (you could use a stand mixer or do it by hand old-school) and a scant tsp. of salt (I use fine sea salt-- you could reduce the amount or skip it entirely).

I proof dry yeast in 1 cup of warm water (There is pizza yeast but I don't think it makes a difference)

Add the water/yeast mixture to the processor and wait for it to form a ball and the continue to process the ball (You may need to add a little water to get the ball to form)

Turn out into a floured bowl (some people use olive oil instead) and cover to rise. Once doubled in size, punch it down and allow it to rise again for the best flavor.

Cut in half, turn out onto a floured surface and roll out. (I use a pasta roller, but any rolling pin will do. So will a wine bottle in a pinch)

I bake on a flat cookie sheet with parchment at 500F until the crust starts to take color, then I pull it and add the toppings for a more crackery, crisp crust. If I'm only making one pie, I bake it in the upper 1/3 of the oven for best results.

Some people add a splash of olive oil to the dough. I don't feel it adds anything and it can make it harder to handle. I don't add olive oil to DS's pepperoni but there is some in the pizza sauce I make. I do drizzle a bit on the spinach tomato one, but not the gorgonzola. Normally you would drizzle after cooking because olive oil isn't stable at such high temps-- but they're not in the oven long enough for that to happen.

I'm sure amazon could get oil olive to you in one piece; I get many of my hot sauces that way. Or you could buy it in a tin.

You know, it never occurred to me to tear the fresh mozzarella into pieces or balls. I wonder if the person you're watching has access to a proper pizza oven-- they run about twice as hot as a home oven. I may give it a go.

HB

• Lorita
    edited March 12

Another excuse for the time change - daylight savings time- was that kids wouldn't have to wait for the school bus in the dark.

I buy those small cheese rectangular party pizzas. I add oregano and more cheese. Pretty good.You have to have oregano to get that good pizza smell. HB, I saw.one of those small pizza ovens on QVC Sunday. Heated to 700 degrees. Somewhere around $200 I think.

Those shoes are pretty but you're right that a solid color would be more practical. I have to wear clogs or mules - can't have a strap around the back.

• Mint

I compared our recipes, thank you for sharing. You use a bit more flour but you make a bigger pizza than i would. Mine calls for a 1/4 t sugar too and i used all purpose flour. Once my dough is ready i coat bottom of my 10” cast iron skillet in olive oil and sprinkle yellow cornmeal over it. Then i set it in oven with just the light on for 20 minutes. Then i do add a light coating of olive oil before adding toppings, feel it protects crust from toppings and keeps it crispier. Now this is where I do something some might feel a little crazy. I got this hint from a different You Tube channel. Then i set it on a med burner for 5-7 minutes, til bottom browns nicely. Then place it in 500 oven for 10-15 minutes. I really like this. Thinking that i might try a thin crust one on my cast iron griddle.

One time he was using a home oven and believe he suggested 550 F if I remember right. Other times though using professional oven. He sells a pizza dough mixer. I usually do mine in my bread machine. Don't know if you watch You Tube but channel is Vito Iacopelli if you are interested. I have not used 00 flour but know it is suggested. Saw it at the store the other day in King Arthur brand. Plan on getting it and trying it. You use 00 for whole amount, correct?

Thank you look forward to trying this.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, those life-sized Tabasco bottles are at the Tabasco factory on Avery Island in Louisiana. Here is a photo of a tourist gazing at a 'gator (not recommended).

Mint, can you take a look at the General Caregivers board? Butterfly Wings posted a problem she is having giving her DH his nebulizer treatment.

Judith, I don't know if we will travel through Oklahoma City to get to Tulsa.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney