Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (195)

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry Iris, I think that was me. As soon as I hit the post comment button I thought " uh oh" I'm on the wrong thread. But I do agree that something was up with the site yesterday. I noticed the pages seemed to "flicker" or something. I don't know if that makes sense. I looked up the NOAA weather site and there were a large number of solar flares yesterday and more predicted for the next 2 days. ???? Post eclipse activity? Who knows… And Oliver the Cat was just nuts yesterday. 😕😯 And AnnaBelle the Jack Russell would not stop barking at bedtime. DH got up 3 times to settle her. Weird.

Anyway, Good Morning Rockers. Going to physical therapy, the dry cleaners and to see my FIL. So thankful that he was ok while I was gone. I'll have to stop to pick up an assortment of dark chocolate for him on my way. His appetite for sweets has increased tremendously. Just another sign, I guess.

Time to get dressed and ready to go. Have a good day everyone!

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited April 16

David, I also get my hearing aids through the VA. Right now they have been sent off for repair; the right ear would not charge and the left ear I could not get rid of the static. The ones I have was easy to adjust volume, the little control at top of hearing aid just press forward to increase volume and diwn to decrease. Either one adjust the volume on both at the same time.

Guess I'll make myself sick this morning! Been piging out since at noon today a liquid diet starts in preparation for the third gastroscopy looking at the same problem. Still don't understand why they are still looking, all I know is they will use a smaller scope where more of the esophagus will be visible.

Gotta go fir now and find something else to eat and take a bubble bath.

Ron

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning.Cloudy and windy.. No storms or rain. Got GL in the lot and fed. All the girls, both sides are way down in pastures grazing.

Me,too, Iris. Tried to figure it out last nigbt. I think 194 was way down the list, then brought back up. Jo used to take care of this. I'll post on the other one to not post.

Ron, Mint and Iris, glad you checked in.

• Lorita

Decided not to post on 194 since it's way down the list of threads and that would bring it back to the top.

DO NOT POST ON 194!!

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Finally a nice sunny day no rain at least for a couple of days .

• David1946

Good morning everyone going to VA to check out my hearing aids.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

here…

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, I've been having trouble being able to even type in this Comment area. So odd. Clearly today I can post here.

It's the third week of April and ERCOT, the power producer says we'll probably have outages this week because of excessive heat! Its to be in the low 90's. I fear what will happen when our summer comes around.

Iris, I'll go post on 194 for people to use 195.

eagle

• Lorita

Eagle, that will bring 194 back to the top. I thought I would, then changed my mind.

• Lorita

Eagle, if they're already talking about power outage s in the spring I agree what will summer be like. Do you all normally have trouble in summer? Sun has come out and it's near ,80 and humidity is going down which brings fire danger. Always some fly in the ointment. Mid to upper 80s tomorrow.

Mr. Darwin went out again this morning but is back home. He said a 14" limb from a hack berry had blown into another tree so he wanted it down. Trying to keep his place looking good. He said a lot of his hack berries have.blown down.

Toad fed and I got to see the cows and babies go by. The youngest one stays close to mom but is running just like the bigger ones. Gray Lady was ready to go down the drive to graze but I imagine everyone is back in the barn by now..She goes into the carport. They'll come out about 3.

I like my car but am struggling to not have buyer's remorse about the Dodge Charger. It has been sold so should forget it. Saw one at another Dodge dealer with about 18,000 more miles on it. I don't drive that much so what I have is ok. I only have a little over 200 miles on it in a little over three months and still have a quarter tank of gas from what they put in it. If I can just figure out how to get Sheena in it! She's sort of stubborn and refuses to step up. She can because she goes up steps. The hygroma on her left knee is almost gone but the right one is still fairly big. Stormy needs an allergy shot and she needs nails trimmed. I can trim his but not hers. Oh, well.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 16

Eaglemom and everyone, DON'T POST on #194, it comes to the top and confuses people.

I'm up. I have been sleeping many hours, but I had an uncomfortable dream. Last week I had two nights with only five hours each, so I think my body is catching up.

Lorita, can you get some stair steps or a ramp for Sheena?

Iris

• Lorita

Iris, I doubt she would walk up the steps or a ramp. The only thing I can think that of might work is there's sort of a high bank on one side down the driveway if I can back up to that she might walk in. When I had to get Stormy in the PU I laid a board across two concrete blocks, got up on it and he followed and got in. Toad comes about 8:30 and he could put her in but the clinic doesn't open til 10. There's some old hay that I might get her to walk up on and get in. I know she won't get up on something small so it would have to be wide. She weighs over 80 lbs. So I can't lift her. A problem for sure.

Glad you're catching up on your sleep and feeling better. Sleep deprivation is bad.

• David1946

I just got back from the VA had them readjust them I had messed them when I tried to turn up the volume right now they are o.k. if I don't muck them up again.

• ronald71111
    edited April 16

Can't eat until after my procedure tomorrow, but for some reason I'm craving Stewed Potatoes!

Stewed Potatoes (not potato soup)
    If you were raised in the South, you grew up eating stewed potatoes at least a couple of times a month, if not every week. Served with cornbread and blackeyed peas, stewed potatoes were a real treat from any proper old Southerner's childhood.
    Ingredients
    6-8 large potatoes (peeled and cubed, about 1-inch cubes)
    salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons bacon grease (optional)
    1 pinch onion flakes
    2 tablespoons flour
    ½ cup water
    ½ cup milk
    3 tablespoons butter
    Instructions
    Peel and cube the potatoes, put in a medium pot and fill with water until it's about 2 inches above potatoes.
    Bring to a boil (you want the potatoes cooked so they are just fork tender, not falling apart).
    After the potatoes are done, keep them in the same water you cooked them in and reduce to a low heat.
    Put the flour and half cup of water in a bowl and blend with a whisk until the flour is dissolved.
    Stirring constantly, but carefully, add the dissolved flour and water into the pot with the potatoes and water. Allow a few minutes to cook on simmer so that it can thicken.
    Add more flour if you want it thicker, or more water if you want it thinner.
    Add milk, salt, pepper, onion flakes and butter or bacon grease (if desired - it's fine without the bacon grease). Season to taste.

Ron

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

stewed potatoes are good but i have never thickened mine.

• Lorita

David glad you got your hearing aides adjusted so you can hear.Charles had his share of trouble with those , too.

Ron, I had forgotten about those potatoes. We always had them using new potatoes, so good.

• ronald71111

I was hesitant to share this, but I really don't know why.

Sunday during singing a song had me in tears; "I must tell tell Jesus". When we sang I cannot bear this alone, I felt the presence of the holy ghost. The song has such a strong message for anyone going through hard times.

Ron

• Lorita

Ron, I'm not familiar with that dong but will listen to it. Sometimes songs do the same to me. Beth, are you okay? News just told about tornados in Iowa. Let us know.

I spent a time on the phone this afternoon catching up on times with a friend I had 71 years ago. She lives in Ca!if. but lived across the road from us when she was young.

• JeriLynn66

That’s one of my favorites Ron❤️

• David1946

I'm glad I got them adjusted because next Thursday .daughter is flying in from Texas for a visit to go with me and wife and my son to look at the local Veterans Home to see what it looks like. I am on the waiting list do to my ALZ. the waiting list is 2 years. My wife and I are being proactive in case it gets to the point where she isn't able to take care of me

• Mint
    edited April 17

Ron thank you for sharing and i really enjoy that hymn. When i was going through a rough streak before i got so sick I was singing that a lot. Feeling the holy spirit is so comforting.

im going to share this with you. You know my Aunt just passed away few weeks ago. At her service they sang ”Precious Lord Take My Hand” . Understand it was her favorite hymn. My 89 yo old uncle found out recently that his kidney cancer has metastasized to his spine and collar bone. He was unable to go to her funeral. He suggested that since him and I were unable to go to funeral that we get together on phone and sing it so that we could feel a part of it. Told him I cant sing but im sure willing to try and so we did.

My cousin shared something with me about my Aunt I didn’t know and ive been thinking about it. Her dad, my Aunts husband died when he was 31 from cancer. My cousin was 11 yo. She said her mom sat her down once the funeral was over and they were alone and said to her “ I don't know why this happened, but we will not blame God and we will not feel sorry for ourselves.”

• Lorita

Thank you for posting the words to the song. Mint. I have never heard it. I can see why it would bring tears. The words your cousin's mother said to her are very true but sometimes hard to do. I tell Sarah when she's down and scared to trust God and keep her Faith, that God won't take her until it's fulfilled. I hope it helps her.

• ronald71111

Thank you for sharing mint!

Ron

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, Thanks for asking - no tornado in my area but there were several in the state. We had rain and a bit of thunder and nothing more. I'm grateful.

Mint and Ron, thanks for sharing about the song. Faith in God can provide a lot of comfort in tough times.

Beth

• ronald71111

Good morning! About to have some coffee! Liquid diet since noon yesterday and can't have anything after 5 this morning. Hopefully some results will cone from this gastroscopy and it will be the last one.

Ron

• Mint

Good morning

Ron pray the day will go easy for you

• JeriLynn66

Good morning, Ron. I know you'll be glad when the procedure is over. Prayers for you and Lou today.

• David1946

Hopefully you procedure goes o.k.

• Lorita

Good luck on your test today, Ron. You'll be in our thoughts today. Looks like the wind won't be as strong today.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more