Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (195)

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello Friends. FIL was somewhat more coherent today. He didn’t know my name but said “family” when I asked if he knew me. Then he said “Michael’s!!!” with a big smile 😃. Close enough

I’ve been on the phone all afternoon looking at potential MC facilities. It’s inevitable. But his facility doesn’t offer age in place. 2 person assist and you’re out of there. I’m not wanting to move him twice. Lots to pray about. Thank you for your loving care.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mint, how nice of these young people to help you. I've experienced the same emotion as you when someone helps me. You're young but as we get older we appreciate any help people offer. Glad you're getting your yard work taken care of and have someone to mow for you. I feel so lucky to have Bryon and his son, Wyatt to do mine. Really needs it now but it's too wet and am still keeping grass for Gray Lady. Bryon seems to be able to do anything I ask from mowing to fixing flag pole to getting rid of wasps in a creepfeeder.

JeriLynn, glad your FIL seems to be improving some. I know how hard it can be to find the right placement. I've done that with both my parents and sister and Jack. You and he will be in my prayers, as usual, tonight.

Mint, is Clio the name of the Ortho feet shoe?

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi all, I went to VA for my new rollater today I got one and it will be shipped to my house in a couple of weeks and it will be completely assembled. I will let you know how it works out

• Lorita

That's great, David. Charles had one from the VA and he loved it. The new ones may be even better now - he got hid ten or eleven years ago. I know you'll be glad when it comes.

We got another 3/4" of rain last night so that makes 5 3/4" this past five or six days. More to come tonight and the next two days, then severe weather Monday. Still have water over the main road in several places but our driveway is really good.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited May 4

Good morning everyone

Jerilynn my Aunt did not remember my name. Interestingly though she never forgot our relationship. She would always introduce me as her niece.

Lorita the mower is for mom’s place. LMG ( previous lawn mower guy) had got so he wasn’t dependable. In fairness to him he apparently has some health problems and mom can be challenging to work for. Yes the Clio is from Orthofeet.

David nice that you got the rollater.

Giving a cloudy day with chance of rain. Maybe i can plant a few seeds between raindrops. Yesterday i put out a cherry tomato and a regular tomato.. i had 4 plants of each. Same with my green pepper. I kept two on the porch in case we get a cold snap and they get killed i have a backup plan. I planted seeds for the brandywine tomato. I seen a guy say that he tried an experiment and that the tomatoes he started from seed caught up with the ones he started ahead of time. I got some zinnia and sun flower seeds planted yesterday. Still want to plant quite a few more if it works out.

If it rains this afternoon may go to amish and look through their greenhouses. It’s where we normally buy our vegetables at. I’m hoping to find some parsley plants I need to raise parsley this year.

Take care, everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning

• JeriLynn66

Good morning. Heading to the hospital in a minute. Hope everyone has a good day.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited May 4

Lorita, there are 31 on the trip. We are just arriving into Dallas, the sun is trying to peek through clouds. We're off to see the George H.W. Bush Presidential Center, the Arboretum, and the Sixth Floor Museum.

Iris

Correction: it's the George W. Bush Presidential Center.

• Lorita

Morning, very humid this morning- bet it's 150%, cloudy but no rain.

Mint, I looked on the Ortho feet website but can't find Clio. How do you do that? Sounds like you have a full day ahead of you-enjoy. We always loved to go to greenhouses to see what they had. Guess we all will remember about LMG. Those were trying times.

Darwin called at 8. Guess he's decided to call at 8 am and pm. Toad fed and he left more feed for GL. Had a nice visit with him. He is so busy and still not fully recovered from his illness- not as strong as before yet. It sounded awful.

JeriLynn, hope your FIL is improving. Iris, let us know where you all go today.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
  • Lorita

Thank you, Caro. They look a lot like the Skechers I bought. My angel food cake mixes are a couple of months past best by date. Guess they're still good. I think I'll try baking one loaf in a glass na Never have used a glass pan but Alexa says you can.

There's a big line of thunderstorms south of us with loud thunder but no rain yet. Sheena is sitting in front of the fan that stands about 2 1/2 ft. High and it's just right for her. She is so scared of thunder that I bet she was left outside in a storm when she was a puppy.

Rain is here so guess we'll add to the 5 3/4 we've already had. Girls are in the barn and I opened the gate so GL can get in the carport.

• Mint

cool and damp, lazy and cannot get motivated - now it is raining lightly

Think I will stay inside

• Lorita

Mint, why don't we have a day of rest. I can't get going either. We had a good, hard rain so everything is wet. I'm trying to find a way to kill poison ivy that is growing up the elm. Says you can mix three pounds of salt in a gallon of water and add dish soap. Where would you get three pounds of salt? No idea where the poison ivy came from.It's growing up the tree and is among some of the vio!ets. Need to spray all the weeds in the lot, too.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 4

here…..

I would carefully cut at the base with lopers then spray with roundup

I wear Ortho feet shoes because my Dr said to. I too have Morton's Neuroma.

• Lorita
    edited May 4

If I can find the base-- it's among the violets. That is, if there is only one plant. I have to order a new sprayer and herbicide. There-s lots of weeds in the lot I want to get rid if. The truck Toad sprays with is huge so he can't get in there and doesn't have a wand. I just drove down to the mailbox to close the gate and discovered something else about the car! I had read the book about adjustable steering wheel and didn't think it had that option. When I got in I hit my knee on something and found a lever to pull to adjust it. If was not where the book showed it to be. Maybe by the time I trade it, I'll discover something else.

Felt bad because I didn't take Stormy. He met me at the back door with this sad look on His face. I'll take him when.I take down the trash tomorrow.

Looks like the whole Eastern part of the State is under a flood watch. Trying to watch the Kentucky Derby. Mother always watched it so reminds me of her. Mint, did you ever go to it?

Iris, just saw your post. Sixth floor museum? Will you all spend the night in Dallas? You're just four hours from me and probably three from Judith. I bet your next stop is OKC, up I-35. You may get into rain. The rain we had this morning came from the south. Have a good time!!

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Here

• Mint

well Lorita it lightened a bit and i got in the mood. I planted the rest of my zinnia seeds that i wanted to plant. Think that sounded better than inside work lol.

Never have been to the Kentucky derby.

• jfkoc

I think Iris is headed Over to Tulsa…no stop to see the Memorial, First Americans Museum of Cowboy Hall of Fame. Seems like they are doing food and shopping…lol

Thanks for the Derby reminder…

• Lorita

Wish I had a good place to plant zinnias, marigolds and cosmos. Those three were always the backbone of mother's flowers in the garden because all of them do well in our hot summers. She always had two long rows of flowers and kept a fresh bouquet in the house. We had a little asparagus and the fronds of them were so pretty in the bouquets.

When we lived in the MH Charles made three, big, round flower beds, a little higher in the middles and those were the flowers we had in them. Can't have bouquets much now because the cats take the flowers out of the vases. By the way the butterfly plants the cats and Rusty worked over are putting on new leaves!

Good for you, getting some things done, Mint. I did a load of laundry. Haven't dried them though.

• JeriLynn66

I think FIL may be dipping his toe into hospital delirium. I spoke to the nurse and encouraged her to contact the Hospitalist for medication. He's picking at his gown, the covers, his oxygen. His speech was garbled yesterday, better this morning but worse by noon. And he's mumbling in his sleep. Very confused. And a scary sign: he's reaching upward with both arms while sleeping.

And Mint, there's an incentive spirometer at bedside. Nobody opened it. Nobody asked me if I knew how to use it. I opened it yesterday (POD 1) and tried to have him use it every hour. I'm yelling in his ear "suck!!!". Sometimes he does, sometimes he blows instead. But I doubt they even try.

Deep sigh.

He's getting a unit of blood today. Hemoglobin dropped to 6.6, so at least they're on top of that. Also, no BM since surgery so I suggested a laxative since his belly is distended and a tad firm. Nurse said doctor did order an xray and it looked OK. Well, yes, but…. I guess we'll see tomorrow. But he wouldn't eat lunch, so something is up. I hope I don't have to take the Doctor to school….. I'm taking my own stethoscope, tape, scissors tomorrow. And a razor/shaving cream. They don't do that anymore, I guess.

I've come up with Plan A, B, and C for post hospital discharge plans. Unless there's a great improvement by Monday, he won't be going anywhere. Just trying to prevent post op complications and get him out of there.

All the seeds I ordered (the ones Beth L. used for her zinnias and petunias) are still in the packet. Maybe I can get to that tomorrow afternoon. It rained cats, dogs and frogs yesterday.

Today is 8th grade dance for one of the great grandsons. He's so excited. And nervous. LOL

I'm making fried tacos for dinner. And we are piling up on the sofa to watch a movie. I'm tired.

Iris, this sounds like a fun trip. Beth, hope the granddaughter's finger improves and your storm clean up is progressing. Ron, thinking of you and Lou. Lorita, you be careful in the wet and the mud. Zetta, glad you had a good trip. HB, prayers for your friend and your Mom. Caro, I ordered a pair of Clios!

Time for me to get in the kitchen. Praying for all my friends.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

JeriLynn, I am sorry to hear your FIL is doing poorly. As you know, hip fractures are very hard on elderly people. I'm praying for him, and for you.

I have not planted my flower seeds yet but hope to soon. Also needing to plant my green beans. Spinach and lettuce are in and coming up. Even though the drought monitor says we are still in moderate drought, we've had a good amount of rain over the past couple of weeks (not 5" like Lorita, though!) The ground is very wet - too wet to plant. Soon, I hope. The river levels have increased to almost top of the banks. This is incredible, as they were low enough in places that one could walk across them. So happy for the moisture. Next week we hope to go get our petunias; planning on 25 plants to fill our various pots. Also need a couple of ferns for the front porch, tomato plants and herbs.

Ron, hope Lou is improving. Hopefully they will find medication that will make her more content and easier to manage at home.

• Lorita
    edited May 5

JeriLynn I'm so sorry about all that's happening with your FIL. The things you mentioned are concerning. I think it happens everywhere but it's not right.

Sarah tells me things that never get taken care of when she's in the hospital. She used to be a nurse so guess they think she can take care of things.

.Good that you're his advocate and will see that things are taken care of.. Medical care doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Maybe he'll feel better after he gets his transfusion. Let us know how he is tomorrow..

Took the Pyrenees for a walk late this evening and they so enjoyed it. I need to do that every day. I know I'm sitting too much even though I get up every few minutes to do something. A front came through this afternoon and if was chilly so wore a light jacket and it felt good. I really dread the hot summer. Here I am, already complaining about what's coming.Hope all of you have a good nights sleep.

Beth, just saw your post. Glad you've gotten some rain in your rivers. All the big lakes in Okla. are above normal except one up north. We were in a moderate drought before the rains. Now, many places are flooded. I saw where one semi was washed off the highway into deep water.

Prayers tonight, as usual, for everyone. Ron, hope you're okay tonight.

• Lorita

Judith, just saw a video of a home remedy for killing poison ivy. Mix one part vinegar with four parts water but it did not work so he used bombs,which didn't work. I told him about your cure for ants. He tried it and it worked. For ants is it half and half or what are the proportions?

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning

• JeriLynn66

Morning.

• Mint

Good Morning

Lorita you can raise zinnias and marigolds in containers. The cosmos may not work, not sure. I usually get volunteer cosmos each year. Hope to transfer one to my new bed.

Jerilynn Im old enough to remember when we did not have Incentive Spirometers. Have found that many patients did better, especially those like your FIL, just asking them to take a deep of breath as they can, hold it about 5 seconds and exhale. I would see much better chest expansion that way as they weren’t having to deal with the gadget. Maybe try it that way with him and see if maybe he can do better that way. Unfortunately some cannot participate either way. Hope you find Clios as comfortable as I do.

Beth so nice to hear you have moisture. I am going to try and plant my sunflower seeds next. I do have a few planted.

Thinking of all

• Lorita

Morning, rainy here and cool. Hope everyone is well today. JeriLynn, hope you find your FIL improved today. Back later.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good morning, we're in Dallas!

Iris

• jfkoc
    edited May 5

here…

do not remember a solution for ants but maybe I used vinegar;

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-ants#health-hazards

https://www.thespruce.com/get-rid-of-ants-cheaply-and-naturally-1388157

Google says that vinegar will not work for poison ivy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living