Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (196)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Zetta, a handyman can pull up the carpet and nail down the squeaky boards. I've never done it, but I gave read about this method of dealing with squeaky boards. I don't think you would have to lower your price just for squeaky boards.

We spent two nights in Newport at Elizabeth suites, very nice. We made s'mores.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning all.

Iris L.— Those travel pictures are lovely. Thanks for sharing them. I saw your post about being separated from your cruise; that is horrifying. I didn't comment there because I didn't want to seem to be pissing in their cornflakes.

David— It sounds like the reboot of the TV was what did the trick. Like a laptop or phone, sometimes a Smart TV just needs to be powered off to come back to life. My mom has a TV in her kitchen that acts out on her. She tends to hold back on telling me as she thinks it's a bigger deal than it is. Sometimes, though, I do have to re-sync her Samsung and Xfinity remotes. I get stuck doing all the tech at my house, too. The great irony is that I am not the person in this house that would watch much TV. When I met DH, I hadn't had a TV for a couple years. This is a great contrast to DH treating is a broken TV as one might running out of toilet paper.

Lorita— It's good to hear Judith is OK. Thanks for that update.

Zetta— I think some buyers have become unrealistic as the result of those ridiculous HGTV shows. Floors sometimes squeak. We have one squeaky spot in the bedroom that serves as my prompt to turn DH's coffee on for him so he can pour a cup by the time he comes down.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm about to enjoy my 3rd mug of tea. I've been getting by on a single mug for the last couple of days, which along with mask-wearing left my dehydrated enough to wake up with leg cramps.

I finally got mom home from the hospital around 5:30pm yesterday. They never did move her to a room, so she didn't get much rest at all. But they did push an additional 4L of fluid and antibiotics, so it really was best I hadn't taken her home prematurely. There were a number of folks from the day before still there; a couple of them were upgraded to rooms but a few were still lining the halls.

Her O2 dropped a bit, but that is often the case at the hospital if she isn't using her OPEP and getting all her medications. A couple aren't on formulary at hospitals so I bring them in from home along with her bi-pap. I did have a set of her evening meds in my bag, so she only missed the AM inhaler and high-dose Mucinex.

She did OK maintaining BP and O2 walking, so they let her go. We stopped at the pharmacy to pick up her antibiotics, but the hospitalist put a on hold on them until this morning. So now I have to run over first thing to manage that. I have to drop my banged-up car today sometimes and get my rental. I was supposed to do that yesterday but didn't have a chance to.

HB

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning. We had another inch if rain last night makes 4.8" just this week. Judy opened the main gate for Toad and walked GL all the way back to the house.. She is amazing, just !ike she can read my mind and does what I want her to do. Back later.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

When we move the TV we tried to pare it with the TV remote not the Xifinity remote it took us some time to figure it out and now the TV is o.k. My wife and I call us Mac and Myer for hire. We always have a lot of fun putting things together. It sounds like you and my wife are alike when it comes to TV and your husband and I alike to I love TV somehow my wife and I make it work

• David1946

Good morning, we are on our way to the COA for lunch and play bingo. If lucky we might win a big pot of 4 dollars we go for the fun not the money. Wish us luck.

• Lorita

Hope you had a good lunch, David.

It is a most beautiful day in East central Okla. The sky is a dark blue with a few, white, fluffy clouds. We have a North wind and it's comfortable, not much humidity - that comes tomorrow.

I have a question; we had a big elm taken out last summer and I had them leave a short stump to sit a big flower pot on. Yesterday I noticed a lot of reddish brown fungus growing on the stump, halfway around it. It's creepy looking and very tough. I just covered it with a big tarp to keep it away from mainly the GPs. They might not bother it but when Stormy was a puppy he ate some little mushrooms that made him sick. It looks sort of like Bracket fungus but not sure. First thought I would try to get it off the stump but decided to cover it instead. Have any of you ever seen this stuff?

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 5

Hello Porch Friends,

Thank you for making me feel better about my squeaky floors. Is this just as common in homes? or is it a mobile home problem? I have lived here for 30 years, and it puts me on the defensive when I hear thigs like that.

HB your mother is blessed to have you for her daughter. I hope your face is healing up.

Lorita. You are so right dogs are very smart. Molly knows what Iam doing just by what I'm doing.

Ron You're in my thoughts and prayers.

David. Good Luck on winning that $4.00, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Hugs to all, Zetta

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 5

Good afternoon my Porch friends.

Thank you for the kind thoughts and prayers. My leg procedure went well. The recovery instructions, however, aren't difficult, just hard to keep a head of. I have to walk 15 minutes of every hour for 2 weeks. No sitting with my knee bend at a 90 degree angle - if seated my leg has to be elevated. In bed it has to be elevated above my head. (Good thing we have adjustable bed!) Support hose can't be removed for 48 hours & then only for 1 hour to shower then back on it goes. Then I only wear them 12 hr on & 12 hr off. No standing in one spot, & if standing I must be moving. I could go on, but I won't. I will follow the orders to the best of my ability.

Ron be kind to yourself. I so wish I could give you a great big TX sized hug.

David, that possible $4.00 win will get you two Sonic drinks!!

Lorita - we had one heck of a rain storm this morning, but its beautiful now. I emptied the rain gauge, in 3 days we've had over 5.5 inches. Unreal.

HB you are amazing. The energizer bunny and then some. Your taking such good care of your mom. I wouldn't have been able to sit in the hospital with all of that going on. I know DH would have looked at me and said "we're gone." Time for you to take a deep breath.

Iris your pictures are wonderful. I'm so glad you are going on these trips. Its good your getting out and doing that.

I know I've left others out, but my 'sitting' time is up. I'll check back in later.

eagle

• David1946

Neither my wife or I won but we a great time talking to our friends. My wife was one number away from winning the cover all in fact she won it last week for 36.00 dollars. This was a good day to win after I went to put my rollator in the back of the car, and I could not unlock it I did not have my FOB and could not find it I thought I had lost it. I searched everywhere I could think of but no luck. So went to the COA and played bingo and had lunch. When we got home I took the clothes out of the dryer (we started a load before we left) and I looked in the washer and dryer but no luck. A short time later I went to sit and read the paper and guess what the FOB was stuck in between the cushion and the arm of the chair it must fallen out of my pants pocket last night when we went to bed.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Zetta-
    Squeaks are common. Especially in an older home. My 1890s house creaked, my grandparents' homes of the same era did as well. Even my current 1986 home built by the builder in my community with the best reputation for quality has that one squeak. Maybe I'm weird, but I find the sound homey.

HB

• David1946

Had an excellent lunch a COA we had a baloney and cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato, 3 bean salad, milk and chocolate mousse and homemade onion soup

• Iris L.
  • Lorita

No idea who Judy is. I opened the gate this morning. Then closed it at noon. That probably should have been "just". My tablet has a mind of its own.- just types anything and changes words. Will need to check it though. The generator had yellow and green lights so called and Anthony came and checked it. I'm sure he closed the gate but need to be sure.

• Iris L.

Did I mention that I saw elk and bison on my trip? But the bus was going to fast to take a photo.

Iris

• Lorita

Buffalo/bison are such magnificent animals. We saw buffalos when we visited Wooloroc years ago. So awfully sad what men did to them. Just think what a wonderful life the Indians had.

Stormy and I drove down among our girls through water. They were content and grazing. The little calves are so curious about the Gstor. This afternoon I see a little brown calf laying inside the gate to the NE pasture while all of our girls were in the barn. Heifers were out front and I was afraid he had somehow gotten through the fence away from his mother. But all seemed well. Someone would be baw!ing if it wasn't.

Ron,been thinking about you today. We would like for you to join us on the porch but just when you're ready. Hope you are resting.

See you all in the morning.

• Lorita

Iris, what did you think about the Redwoods? I bet they're breathtaking.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good evening all, I still come to the front porch daily to keep up with my rocking chair friends.

I'm just having major adjustment problems and feel like I'm close to a breakdown. I try to stay occupied and my grandson has been with me this week, but I can't stop thinking about Lou. I loved her sooo much!

Be patient friends, I'll eventually pull it together and be back without gloom and doom.

Ron

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((((((Ron))))))) Hugs to you, my friend.

• Lorita

Ron,glad you're reading and posted tonight. So many of us know exactly how you're feeling right now. You need time to grieve- it takes a long time and I doubt we ever get completely through it - I haven't. I dream of Charles often and I treasure those times with him. Take your time and remember the many good years you spent with your sweet Lou. We're here if you need to talk.

• Lorita

Eagle, so glad the procedure went well. Sounds like it will be hard to keep up with doing all those things for rehab. How long will you have to follow those instructions?

We've had 4.8" the last four days here with more just three miles east of us. We will be wishing we had this rain a couple of month from now. Watch out for the humidity!!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita.I don’t know specifically about that fungus on your stump. But my experience with stumps is that they do a lot of times get fungus I think it’s part of the rotting process. That’s just my opinion I surely don’t know.

Eagle glad your recovery is going smoothly so far.

HB seems you have a lot of patience and kindness.

Ron this will take some time, but hopefully one day before too long in the future, you’ll think of Lou and smile. I remember when that happened with my dad and it felt so good to smile when thinking of him. Don’t know if this thought will help you or not but I always think about how my dad would not want me to be sad.

Take Care

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning. Lots to do today to finalize our trip. Cut grass yesterday and I am happy to report I did not run over the chicken coop. The little Silkie that will not climb the ladder in or out of the coop now waits for me to pick her up and carry her wherever she needs to be. Problem solved I guess, lol.

Eagle, those exercises and instructions sound quite complex, but glad you have come thru the procedure well. Continued wishes for good recovery.

Lorita, Mr. Google says a vinegar spray to the fungus on your tree stump might work.

Ron, we're thinking of you and holding you close in our hearts.

HB, hope you get some rest soon.

Mint, we have squash, cucumbers and hot peppers (peppers are for DH) coming daily from the garden! I fried some squash Sunday and it was so good. My daughter will tend the garden, cat and bird while we are away. Grandson in law will tend the outside animals and gather eggs. Always so much to manage when you have animals. But, I love having them, talking to them.

David, my late FIL always played bingo at his facility. They had a quarter game with jackpots and also other prizes.

Zetta, glad you got a reprieve from house showings. It can be so disruptive when you have animals. At one time we had 4 inside dots and my then DH had to load them up for car rides when we had a showing. It was a pain. And floor creaks? My home was custom built 5 years ago on a concrete slab. But we're in Alabama with red clay so: cracks in the concrete patio, one spot in the guest hallway floor that makes a "clicking" sound when you walk on it. The clay allows the foundation to settle over time. And, I agree with HB - people watch too much HGTV.

Hope everyone has a good day. BBL

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Good morning friends

• Lorita

Morning, looks like a pretty day. JeriLynn, I will try the vinegar. Amazing how many things you can use vinegar for. Talked wi try h Darwin he is okay and Mike came to get the Gator to check grass. He always calls before he gets here so I won't get scared seeing a truck coming up the lane. Hear cows bawling. Guess they thought he was going to feed.. All of his trucks sound the same. I will he back.

• Iris L.

Zetta, I don't blame you for wanting to wait a year to sell your home. Oregon is so lovely, it is hard to leave. It's like a secret wonderful place!

Lorita, is Stormy better?

Mint, how is your uncle?

HB, are you healing? How far do you live from your mom? One of my neighbors had her daughter come over every morning to care for her, but I think now that one of the two daughters is there full-time. Is your mom recovering from her illness thst took her to the ER?

Judith, what do you watch on Netflix?

JeriLynne, I always thought Sevin was toxic. Enjoy your trip!

Beth, I see you like to read. I like mysteries, but not thrillers.

Eaglemom, best wishes for your recovery period!

Ron, treasure your memories!

Today is the 80th anniversary of D-Day. What an undertaking! I went on a D-Day trip to Normandy a few years ago and learned the history of the invasion in detail. Amazing! The whole story of WW11 is amazing, at what was accomplished.

Iris

• David1946
    edited June 6

HI all going to Thursday exercise and sing along later at COA. There is so much available there it is unbelievable at COA.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 6

Iris. Is that snow on the ground?

Ron…someone is always on the porch with you…you are not alone. I could not bring Dick's ashes home for months. Then I took them immediately to his flight box next to his Lucasse (sp) boots. I still feel no need to purge his things from our home. That said, some things went to children and friends.

Still slogging through a computer mess….ugh

COPY YOUR PASSWORDS OFF YOUR CUMPUTER!!!!!!!

• David1946

At bingo we only have a fifty fifty draw we get half and the rest goes to COA for future activities

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

David…how are you liking your walker?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia