Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alternatives to Driving

Daphne28227
Daphne28227 Member Posts: 5
First Comment

Hi Everyone, this is my first post here. I read a lot of the past conversations on driving, but have what I think is a twist on the question.

My best friend's husband was just diagnosed with Early-Onset Alzheimers in his 50's, and like many is having problems accepting that he can no longer drive. My question is about the pressure it puts on her now that she has to do all the driving for the family (they have a child in elementary school). They live in area where you need to drive to get to things (suburbs of Charlotte).

Outside of taking Ubers everywhere, are their resources that can help with transportation? What strategies have you put in place?

Thank you!

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Daphne28227

Such a sad and difficult situation for your friends and those who care about them.

There probably aren't many options to ease your friend's need to take over the driving. She could reach out to the Area Agency on Aging to see if there is a ride service for the elderly/disabled in your area. Uber will work for her DH so long as he's cognitive OK to manage the process but the child is too young for Uber. Perhaps she can reach out to other parents in her community/child's friends' parents and see if others are willing to drive her daughter to places she goes with their kids? Maybe mutual friends could pitch inas people sometimes do in a "meal train" for transportation.

HB

• Daphne28227
    First Comment
    edited July 17

Thanks, @harshedbuzz, for the support and the ideas. I will follow up on the "drive train". I'm organizing a chat for friends and family to take some of the pressure off my friend when it comes to keeping everyone updated. This could be a good task for us to take on there. Appreciate you!

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 566
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Contact your local senior center + dept of aging. many communities orgs have volunteers that drive for people. approaching the kids’ friends parents could turn up someone who would be willing to transport the kids when their own children need to be driven

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 73
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Was it possible that he was in the service? If so va will transport

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Check with his doctor's office or a hospital social worker to see if he can qualify for rides on county transportation for the disabled.

• H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I would just be cautious that he not get lost on public transportation of some sort or confused about where he is going. It’s kind of tricky because if you wait til you think he might get confused or lost then you have waited too long.

• Daphne28227
    First Comment

Thank you @terei. Especially wonderful that there are those that volunteer this way!

• Daphne28227
    First Comment

Yes, @ronda b , he is a vet. Will definitely look into this option. I know his wife found the VA helpful in the diagnosis. I didn't realize they help in this way as well. Thank you!

• Daphne28227
    First Comment

@H1235 and @psg712 , I hear you both in saying that he may be okay to travel independently today, but we don't know when that may change. It is taking precautions ahead of need that presents the challenge for him. But you already know that!❤️ Thanks for taking the time share your insights.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more