Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (198)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited August 7

good morning

I have not seen anyone wearing foam runners. At least if I do now I’ll know what they are.
    Had one pair of Adidas many years ago. My feet did not like them, I gave them away. I just placed an order for two pairs of altras and one pair of topo. Joan I think you are the one who brought these to my attention. They are both zero drop shoes. My old feet are really liking the pair of altras I have. Joan believe you told me that you like the topo even better so I’m trying a pair of them. My feet have been giving me a little trouble here lately and I’m trying to preemptively strike. It’s easier to stop something before it gets too far gone.

just found a new physical therapy site. It is Dr. Charlie Johnson, PT. I’ve been having a lot of trouble for several weeks now with my back being stiff and my one hip being very sore. I found things on Bob and Brad and a chiropractic channel that helped me with my stiff back, but nothing was helping with my hip. Both of those sites have you stretching for what I think is wrong with my hip. But this guy says that’s the problem it’s already over stretched, so you need to contract it. So I did his two exercises that he showed twice yesterday and my hip is so much better this morning. He also had a very interesting video on massage guns. Because massage guns often help me, but sometimes they do not. They helped my back, but they were not helping my hip. He explained the reason for that too , so I have some new understanding of some things. So I am now subscribed to his channel also. As you get older, seems like you spend a lot of time keeping yourself working smoothly olaugh out loud.

zetta sounds like things are falling into place for you.

Iris, sounds like your cousin was a pusher. Dialysis is not an easy thing.

we are having cooler weather too David today, the high is 77. Hopefully I will find some time to work outside.

Lorita you try and stay cool.

there were some tornadoes and some damage in northern Ohio yesterday afternoon. Think most of it was up in the Cleveland area maybe. We were on the very southern edge of the storm and not too much happened here.

take care, everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning! Bad night, physically and emotionally!! Hopefully day will be better!!!

Ron

• Mint

Ron I hope you have a better day too.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello, on the way to our Heritage Days BBQ it's under a canopy so we shouldn't get wet

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Iris, sorry about your cousin. I know how that feels. Thank goodness for memories.

That was a big earthquake. Did you feel it?

We have a wonderful north breeze this morning and 74 degrees, low humidity. I just rinsed off my car,looks better. No more parking where I was parked. Toad gave the heifers hay this morning and put the bale too close to the fence .Billy has been standing there hoping for a bite. They're baling east of us. Wish you all could see all the big bales of hay. There will be hundreds of them. Hoppers didn't eat it because it's crabgrass.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, yes, I did feel the earthquake. It was exciting to get an alert before the quake.

I went outside yesterday and discovered a scratch on my car's front fender. I don't know how that happened. Perhaps from a shopping cart? I suppose I have to get some cover-up paint from the dealership. I'll have to go back to parking at the end of a parking aisle.

Mint, I'll check out Dr Charlie Johnson. My hips hurt, too.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

here….meetings today…later

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 793
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good afternoon,

Hope everyone is well today.

DH got too hot Monday (I think he was just before having a heat stroke) and has been under JeriLynn imposed house arrest ever since! Which means I am also under arrest, lol. He's better today but still has a bit of dizziness. I'm pumping him full of Gatorade and restricting his caffeine intake to coffee in the morning. He scared me, but even better: he scared himself! Now he's listening a bit and resting a lot. He needed it. I've not let him out of my sight except to nap. Of course, I have been in the kitchen making him lots of good food and treats. Today is pot roast with all the fixin's, hamburgers for lunch, cantaloupe, strawberries and German chocolate cake. We're cooking for his brother this afternoon and will deliver food to Scottsboro tomorrow. I will drive since I've not let him do any driving until the dizziness clears.

All the animals are faring ok in the heat. Hoochie is really enjoying his rooster duties (if you know what I mean). He's getting really big but so far has been docile with me. I have a big stick and a flyswatter just in case he decides to change his demeanor. Today we had a white crane in the front pond, the hummingbirds are still coming but no geese yesterday or today. Wonder where they got off to… we have shelled corn out for them and I even tried playing goose calls - no luck. I guess they'll come back when they are ready.

Well, DH has just gotten up from his nap, so I'll go keep him company for a bit. Gotta frost that cake. BBL

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Ron— I hope the day is easier for you.

Iris— I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your cousin. That's always a sad thing.

David— I hope the BBQ is worth dealing with the weather.

Zetta— I'm glad you're settle in your new place. I hope the trip to AZ goes off smoothly. Do your pets travel well? I only ever did 4-5 hours tops with my cat. My parents used to drive MD to FL and back with their ancient cat. He wasn't a particularly nice cat, but he traveled really well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cooler today— overcast and misty at the moment. All-day rain forecasted for Thursday and Friday. We could use the rain, but I'd forgotten how cranky it makes my joints.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 7

The rain stopped around 10 a.m. at d the sun came out for a wonderful day and is was 70 degrees little humidity

• ronald71111

Morning

• Mint

Good morning Ron and everyone else

JeriLynn hope your DH is feeling a little better. My mom had a heat stroke once and best I remember it took a little bit to recover.

iris, it took me a little bit to catch on, but I think Dr. Charlie Johnson is sort of like an infomercial for his consult business. Nevertheless, I did fine exercises on there that did give me relief with my hip.

Take care

• Lorita
    Morning, JeriLynn, hope your husband is improving. Years ago Charles had a heat stroke. He was mowing the lawn and passed out. Found him laying on the ground. I called our neighbor and an ambulance. Mitchell gave him CPR and revived him. They took him to the hospital where they gave him fluids and he was able to come home in a couple of hours. But, it messed up his thermostat. HE was never able to tolerate heat or cold like he had before. Hope that doesn't happen with your husband.
    . Mint, where do you order those shoes from.Never heard of those brands. Do they really help your feet?

• Lorita

Found them. What ate zero drop shoes? I can't wear a shoe that comes up on the back of my foot because of that injury a few years ago. I can wear boots, I guess because they don't press on my Achilles tendon. I wear Dawgs around house, Clarks dress shoes and boots in the winter. Also need something that really cushions the ball of my foot because of the Mortons

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning.

I haven't been able to post for some reason. I've kept up reading, just couldn't post. Very odd.

BBL, I have to pick up a prescription and I'm doing it before the excessive heat advisory comes into effect! Be safe everyone.

• jfkoc

off to the Learning Tree to buy a book for a first birthday. I gave the child a wonderful copy of Jaberwocky when he was born. I decided to continue building his library,

• Mint

Lorita i ordered off of ebay. They are on amazon. Think they have their own websites too.

I have no foot pain when I wear them. The zero drop is supposed to help relieve the pressure off the front of your foot. The front of the foot is where I was having pain and as soon as I put them on no pain. My understanding is with zero drop shoe in the front of your foot and your back of your foot or at the same level. With a lot of regular shoes the heel is higher than the front of your foot putting pressure on the front of your foot. When I get time I’m gonna try to look around and see if there’s any dress shoes that are zero drop.

• Lorita

Thanks, Mint. I'v e been wearing a thing that fits over my great toe and around the ball of my foot with padding. Not too comfortable.

Sandy, are you all okay and getting rain today? Enjoyed our visit last evening.

Got up early this morning so took a nice, two hour nap this afternoon. Cats awakened me playing. Think they wanted me to get up and feed them,

o

• ronald71111

Morning

Ron

• Mint

good morning everyone

• harshedbuzz

Jerilynn— I hope your DH is feeling better. Heat stroke/exhaustion can be dangerous. When I used to camp with the scouts at their summer residence reservation, they always seemed to pick the worst heat wave of the summer. It was a fulltime job keeping those kids safe from themselves. Some of the dads weren't much better.

Good morning, Ron— You're an early riser. I hope you had a better night.

Mint— The PT I saw for my knee was big on zero-drop shoes. He also suggested a more minimalist design that more closely replicates walking barefoot. I usually see such shoes intended for athletic and walking/comfort purposes, but I bet a plain ballet flat could serve as a dress shoe. My crazy aunt has toes that want to cross and pain from neuromas— her doctor has her wearing Vibram FiveFingers which are more like feet gloves than shoes several hours a day. She gets the looks when she wears them to travel or walking around town. She claims they're great.

Judith— What book did you select? I love picking picks for little kids— such fun.

Rain from the storm in the forecast today. It's been drizzling for the last 2 1/2 days from a different system so it's just soggy. Tomorrow is supposed to be lovely. I should weed as my front beds are a hot mess, but I should also take mom to the pool or something as I haven't seen her since Monday.

HB

• ronald71111

Be glad when I feel like cooking again! Pictures like this one makes me hungry!!

Ron

• jfkoc

Made beef and barley soup that was fabulous….leftover roast w drippings… carrots/ peas/broth/ onion/garlic

HB…I skipped the traditional books like Pat the Bunny and went for a had page with tigers and plastic circles that you click.

Fine soft rain today. I will pretend that I am in Ireland!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ron, is that a gumbo? My mouth is watering!

Iris

• jfkoc
    edited August 9

sure looks like a wonderful dark roux with some andouille

• ronald71111

Yes Iris, chicken and sausage gumbo brought to the front porch this morning. Hopefully someone will remember the pecan pie for desert.

Ron

• Lorita

Morning, that does look good, Ron. You' lone back to cooking g y this einter, good soups and stews.

Cooler this morning. Some rain predicted for this weekend. Sure hope it pans out.

HB, does your mother have Morton's Neuroma? What did the doctor do for it and did he recommend a certain kind of shoe for her?

Judith,you're having rain? How wonderful, enjoy it and the cooler temps the next few days. I learned last night that if you go two miles north and one or two south and east there are few grasshoppers. They seem to.be concentrated on our place Darwin's section, the one North of us and about a mile west. Everyone else has had more rain. I hate grasshoppers!

• Mint

HB I looked at some dressy zero drop shoes, I was really surprised they’re beautiful to me. So before too long, I hope to order a pair and try them. It’ll be hard choosing which one I want to try first. Some of them came in a wide variety of colors including red. I love red shoes. I will be so happy if they’re comfortable. The few that I looked at were mostly ballet style, but yet they didn’t all look alike. Tonight I’ll get a better look at all of them. I didn’t have a lot of time right now.

I like beef and barley soup. Can we share on the porch? I’m not much of a sausage fan, but others would probably like gumbo on the porch too.

• jfkoc

It is not rain…it is a drizzle and temp is 71.

Went to bank and Morgan/Stanley to drop off the book. It is wonderful outside.

Absolutely beef barley soup tonight. Would someone please bring a good baguette to go with it. Maybe some watermelon for dessert.

• harshedbuzz

Judith— the little one probably already has the usual first books— Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon and the like. I'm sure the interactive one will be a hit.

Ron— Thanks for the gumbo.

Lorita— It's my aunt with the neuroma. I'm not sure of the specific diagnosis. She's had injections when the pain was bad. Her podiatrist is fine with her wearing Danskos (what she wore to work when she was doing discharge work at Mass General and getting 10+K steps a day in. The shoes he wants her to wear are these which may be even uglier than the Yeezys I shared the other day.

Mint— I'm glad you found something you like. I've had a cranky knee since 2018 and can't do heels like I used to. I can do a really low kitten heel or flat. I've gotten a couple cute pair at Talbots including my goofy butterfly slingbacks that match my shirt dress.

We've had alternating bands of hard rain and mistiness all day. Radar shows one last wave starting within the hour and then things should start to clear out. Between my unhappy knees and bad-hair-day, I'm a hot mess.
    Tomorrow should be lovely.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living