Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (198)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday Sandy!

Checked. It was only 103 outside now. Next week a cold front is coming in…it will be below 100 all week…lol

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday Sandy!

Feel better soon, Ron!

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

That’s neat Lorita. I looked up a picture of a roadrunner. Don’t imagine I will ever see one.

All of you dealing with heat be careful.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning.

Ron, hope you are feeling better.

Happy Belated Birthday Sandy.

Heat and humidity are supposed to be more tolerable here after today. no rain forcasted for the nest 10 days. The weekend was just too miserable outside. Our utility bill increased by $100 this month.

Dentist appointment for me today. That is the only activity on my calendar for the week! Maybe if DH continues to improve we'll head to the lake midweek.

Hope everyone has a good day. BBL.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning rockers!

Can't remember when the last time this happened, but I slept 8 hours last night. Still have some blood spots mixed with sputum when I have a heavy cough, hopefully the medicine is working. One is antibotic, another for inflammation and of course one for cough. Church remember called and said he was bringing me some onion soup today or tommorow. Said that when his wife had pneumonia onion soup helped.

Ron

• Mint

JeriLynn nice to hear your husband is feeling some better.

Thankful you got a good night’s rest Ron. Hope you continue to improve and that a big bowl of onion soup does you good. Reminds me of my grandma. I never saw her make one of these as I can remember, but she was always talking about making onion poultice. Hope I spelled this right. I think she put them on her chest for colds, etc..

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Happy Birthday Sandy 🎂 I hope the day was special for you.

Eaglemom— I am glad you were able to post. Every so often the site acts up on me, too— "Vanilla Server Error", refusal to allow tagging members, not accepting a post or posting multiples. It's kind of you to supply hydration for those working in the heat. I sometime leave a frozen bottle of water for my letter carrieron hot days.

Mint— Maybe it was the sugar that made some of the difference in peaches. I feel like cooks had a much heavier hand with the stuff in the old days. I recall as a kid my mom would buy a 5lb bag of sugar weekly. Even in the 70s when I was working as a cashier during college, most families did the same. I probably buy 10lbs a year and most of that goes into baking.

Lorita— How cool to have seen a road runner so close. That's a real treat.

David— What is this "after COVID" of which you speak?

Jerilynn— I'm glad to hear your DH is feeling better. Here's hoping the dentist goes well for you.

Ron— I hope you improve quickly with treatment and homemade soup. My mom was hospitalized with pneumonia/BP issues 2 months after dad died and in the ER again, a month after that. They assured me this is common after so profound a loss. Try to rest when you can.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DH had some sort of stomach bug over the weekend, so we missed our dinner out with friends. I spent some time with mom yesterday. The purge continues and she even admitted that she hasn't been sleeping well thinking about all of the stuff. She seems unable to close this task for some reason, so I took charge of the chaos because I can't talk about this anymore.

We went to Target and bought under-the-bed totes to hold the photographs and such that she wants to keep for now. Target was crazy— schools around here start just before/after Labor Day and many of the older kids will be heading to campus in the next couple of days. I was able to pick up shaving cream for DH; he hates the gel formulas, and it can be hard for find the old school stuff. Plus, they had the limited-edition Pepperidge Farm Frank's Hot Sauce Goldfish so it felt like a win.

Mom goes to Rockport with my niece next week which will be a nice for both of us. My poor DH must be feeling a little neglected though he is a very good sport. It will also be nice to get a second set of eyes on her day-to-day behavior which concerns me. I still haven't heard back from the scheduler at the memory center and should by the end of the month. I suspect we won't get an appointment until March 2015 but it's early days so that's probably better.

Costco and the dairy today.

HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

HB, going to the dairy? You don't buy milk at the grocery store? Are you purchasing raw milk from a farmer?

• harshedbuzz

It's a local farm that runs a dairy store. It's their own milk, cream, ice cream, and butter but pasteurized. I especially like the skim because it's made without added dry non-fat milk. Their chocolate and strawberry milks are amazing. It's fresher since it's processed right on site and in the store same-day. It's a little cheaper than the local grocery store and they also have nice produce, baked goods and specialty items at very reasonable prices. Since it's a mom-and-pop outfit, sometimes vendors and rack-jobbers offer him awesome deals on excess product with short expiration dates. I've been buying DH bags of fun sized Pay Days for $1.50 lately and 6 full sized Hershey Bars for $1.99.

HB

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

"AFTER COVID " during COVID the church stopped giving out the Wine with the host because the church was afraid people would get COVID drinking the wine. About a month ago or so the Cardinal said it is o.k. for people to take wine at communion along with host

• harshedbuzz

There's a bit of a summer surge at the moment.

• jfkoc
    edited August 19

HB…the space under all of my beds is full of those long storage boxes…lol. Hmmm. Mom gone for a week, How much stuff can you get out of the house?

Ron…a good nights sleep does wonders. Onion soup? Let us know how it works.

Going to the dairy store sounds like fun.

Iris…are you feeling better?

Jeri…almost a free week…love those

back later………

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, HB, that sounds like Braum's here in Oklahoma. They have their own dairy and make their own ice cream. The nearest one to us is 25 miles south, West or north. Mike worked at the dairy while he was in college. Really wish there was one nearer. Their frozen yogurt is delicious.

Nice morning, some cooler. Stormy and I took down this weeks trash to add to last weeks. They didn't pick it up last week because the roads were flooded. Then drove up in the pasture to pending $5,000 to remice the trees above about that much for a carving is just too much. see the girls. No pears on the ground, guess they had already eaten them. I think they check first thing in the morning. Saw five little babies standing at the hay ring munching on hay. They are so sweet. The grass up there is good so girls are enjoying it. Saw a coyote or wolf on the way home. Looked bigger than a coyote.

Ron, glad you had a good night. Hope you feel better today. Drink a lot of fluids.

I have to figure out how to get Sheena in the car to get her nails trimmed. I think I'll try it again first. She doesn't want to get in the car and is too heavy for me to lift. Also time for Stormy's allergy shot.

Judith, about those stump stools, did you use a wood preservative to keep them from rotting? I may do that. Spending $5,000 to have the trees removed and about that much for a carving is too much. I can have them leave the stump about two feet high and put plants on it.

Heat index in this area was around 120 yesterday - supposed to be around 102 today. Some improvement. Yesterday was terrible.

• Mint
    edited August 19

hoping for a little help from my friends

as you know, we’ve been dealing with urinary incontinence with my mom. Today when my sister went over, she had bowel incontinence also. my sister is calling me later, but what I got from what she told me earlier it was mainly on her clothes there was just a little bit in the floor. It happened the day before. She cleaned herself up, but my sister had the clothes to deal with and there was still a little bit in the floor, though. My mom had tried to clean that up too. The question is , is it a one time thing or is it going to be a continual thing? I’m very thankful there’s no carpet in the house. my question is do you guys know how to go about in the best way to keep her clothes from being stained with it? my sister was just in the process of washing them when she called me so I don’t know if what she did worked or not. she’s gonna call me after she eats her lunch. I do remember some people on here mentioning Persil one time. Do you guys have any experience with it? I seen online there’s one that tide makes also that works well supposedly. On the tide website, it said to use cold water and to wash it by hand with dishwashing detergent first and then wash it in that detergent of theirs, has anybody tried that? That’s going to be mine and my sisters plan for now. If we’re unable to get it out of her clothes, that’s gonna be an expensive problem. Course there’s no willingness so far on her part to wear depends and we can’t make her, she’s way too with it. You do need to do this quickly though. So my sister asked my mom to call us when this happens so we can come deal with it. The answer to that was pretty much negative, you can get no cooperation. my sister did say though that then she said I’ll call mint probably. My sister said if it’s my day it’s my day till the next morning and you call me if she calls you. I said thank you and I was going to ask you about that. My my mom is bad to call me and at first I would go ahead and do it so my sister didn’t have to. And then my sister told me Sara don’t be doing that it’s my day you call me. So I’m glad because that makes it easier for me.

my sister tried to ask her what was going on but got no answers which is normal . I do believe that my mom has a lot of physical issues going on but she denies everything so what can I do? Her stomach has been quite big for a long time, quite a few years. My mom was a tall, thin lady. Now she’s a big belly lady, and I have to order her larges to fit, she had a stroke so I know there’s cardiovascular things. if she would have a cancer of some type we probably would seek no treatment unless mom wanted to but it would be nice to at least have someone to work with for pain, etc. I know on here they tell you you can call hospice without a doctors order, but I wonder can you call hospice when your mother doesn’t even have a doctor, hasn’t seen a doctor since her stroke in March 2019. I’m not interested in calling hospice right now because it’s far as I know she would not qualify but if things really term south then what do you do to get help? I do know that if I would find her in a unsafe condition that I could call the police. And they can take her to the emergency room for evaluation if they observe it because a patient told me that was how he got his brother help. The brother was never agreeable to receiving help and one day he went over there and found things going on and he called the police and they brought him to the emergency room so I always have remembered that. His brother was then placed in a safe place after hospitalization. I want to give her good care, but due to a broken Reasoner many times I cannot. She has no idea her reason or is broken.

• Iris L.

Judith, after five days of the new medication, I actually am doing better! I can go several minutes without shortness of breath and when I do have SOB, my recovery time is lessened. I don't feel scared in the house like I use to.

I have boxes beneath my bed, I can't remember when I last looked in them. Aldi's has some underbed boxes with wheels, I might pick up a couple.

Iris

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Mint, regarding the Hospice and no recent PCP. It won't matter. The nurse will come evaluate your Mom and then the Hospice physician and Team make the determination if she qualifies. The Hospice physician then authorizes all orders, meds, etc. I know you're not ready but maybe one less thing to worry about when the time does come.

Regarding stains: dawn (the blue works best), baking soda and peroxide. Make a paste. Scrub it in. If the stain is bad, let it sit a while, then scrub and rinse. Big hugs for these developments.

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

hi Iris I see your in LA I’ve visited there but live in the east, New Jersey near Atlantic City

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Mint, you are so lucky to have a sister that helps you with your mom, and your mom is lucky to have the both of you. I'm fortunate that my LO does not oppose diaper underwear; I don't think he even knows the difference. Anyways, I use Persil detergent and also add OxyClean odor blaster powder along with Downy beads (they do not have an overpowering scent and I only add 1/2 capful). This has worked for me in getting rid of the urine smell on his clothes when it seeps out or if he misses the toilet and wets his pants. He is not bowel incontinent yet, but he doesn't know how to wipe himself clean so I take him directly to the shower to clean his tush. For stubborn stains, I spray OxyClean liquid stain remover on the stain and so far has worked for me.

What JeriLynn suggested should also work, I just lack the energy to make it. I've never done so much laundry in my life! xo

• jfkoc

all of my storage boxes are from the Container store…they come in different sizes including one for long rolls of wrapping paper. I have forbidden my self to buy any more paper! So much easier to get white bags from Amazon. With colored tissue (also Amazon) and ribbon they are good for any occasion.

• ricardo

I’m here alive and well in NJ

• ricardo

Love corn bread congratulations

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Mint, my DH had a colonoscopy. We had many times where he would remove his bag. I always used Arm and Hammer detergent with stain remover. It worked well for me. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Sandy

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I just hope that we do'nt get it when we go to N.H. this weekend for our anniversary.

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments
    edited August 19

Ron, I like your corn bread, it made me chuckle!

Lorita, thank you for the birthday phone call and card. We’re now the same age. It’s odd but my GD called yesterday and mentioned a road runner visiting her boyfriend’s parents home in California. She sent me a picture. Thanks again.

Sandy

• Lorita
    edited August 20

Hi, it's been a quiet, uneventful day here. The girls were out front so watched them a while. They've gone down to the NE pasture to see if the grass has grown any. Made some vegetable soup in the slow cooker which took all afternoon. I make a thick soup"stoup" really with some rice in it. Took a nap and that's it. Watching some of the convention now.

Ron, hope you're feeling better today. Interesting cornbread, literally cornbread. Reminds me of Bobby's World where he took everything literally.

Sandy, aren't those interesting birds? Darwin grew up quite a way north of here and he said he would see them occasionally but not for years. Thanks for posting the picture. Yes, we're really mature now as Jo used to say.

Mint, you got a lot of good advice today. Hope it can help you and your mother. Does she stay by herself at night?

It's 20 degrees cooker today but still really warm and humid. Tomorrow will be better, less humidity. Hope all of you have a good nights rest.

• Mint

yes i did Lorita

i appreciate everyone of the comments and appreciate all of you. I shared them with my sister.

JeriLynn thank you for explaining that about hospice also, that eases my mind some.

Good night everyone

• Lorita

Go out and look at the full moon, it is gorgeous. Wish you all could see it reflecting in the pond. Goid night everyone.

• Iris L.

Hello everyone! Is anyone familiar with this flowering plant? It is in a yard in SoCal, I thought it is so pretty.

I have a another question for you gardeners. One of the palm trees at my rental unit is covered in aphids. A gardener recommended spraying it to get rid of the aphids. Wouldn't spraying just spread them to other plants? I know for smaller plants, aphids can be removed with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, but this tree is too tall. The other suggestion was to remove the tree. I would like to save it, if possible.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney