Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (198)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ron, I love your "corn" bread!

What a great pic of the roadrunner!

Hi, Richard, I used to have a few relatives in NJ, now only one.

Iris

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning Rockers,

DH was feeling so much better yesterday. Still has some issues with dizziness, but he was able to get on the tractor and do some bush-hogging. There was a good breeze and he was just determined to "get back in the seat" of that tractor. I just let him go and asked God to look after him. He goes to Physical Therapy on the 26th and hopefully that will help.

Well, I got a letter in the mail Saturday. TriCare wants an accident form completed before they will process the claim for my father in law's hospitalization. $187,699. I see from the post office delivery notice, there's another letter from them coming soon. I know the accounting folks are standing on their heads. We've hit the 90 day mark so I know there is a report landing on desks about uncollected accounts receivable. I refuse to stress about it.

Today should be a beautiful day and cooler with less humidity. DH want to go the lake tomorrow. I plan to cut some grass today. Gotta figure out what to make for dinner. I could just snack on cheese and crackers but not that country boy. He's got to have a meal. Yesterday was tacos and I put on a pot of white beans and sausage to finish up today. Cornbread will be on the table!

BBL, have a good day.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

good morning everyone

Lorita i’m going to try to remember to look for the full moon. I know it was beautiful reflecting in the pond. Yes, my mom does still stay alone at night.

iris, that is a beautiful plant, I’m not familiar with it. There are sprays for aphids, and I really don’t know what they are because I’ve never used to spray for the aphids. Maybe Beth or somebody else has I don’t know, or they may know something else to do The only plants I have aphids on this year are my calendulas and borage. They tend to just like certain plants so that is a plant that they like apparently I know they like rosebushes to. My experience has been. They tend just to bother certain plants. This year I’ve just sort of left them alone. You can put a glove on and just kind of squish them too. Squishing them works, I’ve use that method before.

i’m glad you’re feeling better, Iris.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning on the porch—

Lorita— I'm admiring your full moon through the trees right now. It is a super rare supermoon blue moon. It's really bright.

Ron— Thanks for the cornbread picture. It was a nice chuckle. It reminds me of a hack I've seen done where slices of bread were thickly slathered with softened butter and the used to apply the butter to the corncob without burning your hand. It's not elegant, but it is effective.

Judith— I hear you on the gift wrap. I have a bag hanging in my basement with rolls at the ready. I find a lot of nice ones at places like TJMaxx but there's also a new The Paper Source next to my Ulta that has amazing cards, wraps and little extras. I keep buying and then I'm in a rush and stuff whatever in a bag.

I'm not spending my week "off" purging. Mom really doesn't have that much stuff left, aside from clothing and china. She has a considerable number of photographs as one would expect of a woman who is 86. But mostly, she has piles she "organized" which she moves around which means she's not really making progress which leaves her discouraged. And she's keeping odd things. She insisted on keeping her artist's projector; she has not drawn or painted in 20 years and has a significant essential tremor. The girl who is getting the antique quilt would love this thing and have a use in her studio, but mom isn't ready yet.

JeriLynn— I am sorry you're still in the paperwork siege with your FIL's estate. You must be anxious to be able to close on this chapter.

Iris— I'm glad you're feeling better on the new medication.

I know swat about aphids, but the shrub looks like a Rose of Sharon (some folks call them hibiscus). They're pretty enough but can be very invasive. My neighbor has several she doesn't maintain which have sent volunteers to my yard. It's a constant battle with these things. The neighbor on the corner planted them on a raised berm she installed on her side lawn to offer a little privacy. She always maintained hers, so they're full and blooming from mid-July until frost typically.

Mint— I am sorry for this latest development in the laundry room. The time is coming where you may have to be a bit more direct about incontinence care. A lot of people find swapping out other underwear with the decorative panties style Depends to be an option. Others have started with incontinence pads in the undergarments she's used to as a bridge. The larger Always Incontinence Overnights Number 8 has a fair amount of coverage in the back— they're about the size of a size 1/2 infant diaper.

One of my friends had issues with her mom destroying clothes and often throwing them away. She eventually took to shopping thrift for things because her mom couldn't afford the expense of new clothes weekly. She also took to buying darker bottoms as stains were less of a problem.

You got good options for dealing with the stains from Sandy, Caro-lynne and JeriLynn. One downside to scrubbing is that it will wear the fabric down depending on what you're dealing with— you could end up with fading, pilling and even holes. But sometimes soaking does quite cut it. When I dealt with this in the past, I did a Tide and enzyme cleaner soak— a day or more if needed— and then scrubbed if there was stain left. I often find Fels Naptha soap gets tough stains out. This stuff is even better as a stain remover-

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I never made it to the dairy. There was road construction, and the front entrance was blocked off. I took DS with me to Costco because he needed a new laptop for school which starts tomorrow. We just replaced DH's ancient laptop (it literally fell apart) last month; I expect a hefty membership rebate this year.

I'm meeting a friend at the feed store (she'll follow me to a local park and we'll chat over some takeout iced tea). I should make some cheese bread for her. After that I'll take the backs roads to the dairy store and hope they've brought in some tomatoes and melon. I think tonight will be a BLTs for dinner kind of night. Maybe I'll do a cucumber salad and some local corn.

I hope all have a pleasant day.

HB

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ron, the cornbread is fresh from the oven and the beans/sausages are “cooking down” to make a nice thick roux. Potatoes are out to peel later today. I’m going to fry up a mess of cabbage and onions and we’ll be ready to eat on the porch about 5. Sweet tea to drink and fresh cantaloupe and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.. y’all come hungry 😋

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I live in Southern New Jersey near Atlantic City but 10 minutes from the beach and ocean

• ricardo

Anyone here?

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning!

Ron

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, no idea, Iris,but it is a pretty plant or vine. I bet Sandy will know, I think spraying would just kill the aphids and not spread them. Good luck. I always hate to lose a tree. Cool this morning , 72 and will only be in the upper 80s.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Rose f Sharon?

• ricardo

Richard here good morning

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hi Ricardo, I live in SE Florida and am 24/7 caregiver to my ex-partner with vascular dementia.. Hot and humid here.

• Lorita

Judith, Rose of Sharon or Althea. We have had lots of those.Ours are purple or white.Had one white one blooming earlier and the hoppers are every leaf and bloom. Ours make a pretty big shrub and they do produce several little ones. After this summer and losing so much I may have to hunt for them to rebuild. Had forgotten what the leaves look like. The blooms do look like a small hibiscus and also okra blooms.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks everyone, it might just be a hibiscus, they are plentiful in my neighborhood. I never knew they were also called Rose of Sharon plant.

I think that ladybugs eat aphids. It's hard to manage from afar because it's not my personal garden.

JeriLynn, what time is dinner? Do you say dinner or supper?

Iris

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning, just got back from my exercise class and I am exhausted.

Computers suck i tried logging on my bank and said my info was wrong. So I changed my password and it was accepted so I tried to log in again and was told info was wrong. So I called the bank and they helped me. I tried to login again and WOW I was able to finally login. Who knows what will happen the next time.

I think My dementia is slowly increasing I am losing my train of thought when talking to my wife and coming up with simple words is difficult.

• Mint

HB thank you for the tips. I’m going to look for that bar of soap. When I looked into it seemed like maybe it’s pretty good. I found a website where a mother told how she got her children’s clothes clean from blowouts when they were still in diapers so I wrote down her instructions. I hope it works for an older adult to.

my mother is very different than your mother. She has no interest in fashion. She’s all about it being what she’s comfortable with and wants. She wants you when something wears out to replace it with the exact same thing. As you know that’s impossible, so she’s frequently unhappy with what I get. She does not wear normal underwear, she hasn’t for years. What she wears now is not underwear, but she wears it as underwear and it’s not formfitting. so there wouldn’t even be a way to put in an incontinence pad.

this summer I tried to increase her gown supply because at first she was getting quite a few gowns wet. She only had three, so if she got two wet during the night, then we had to get it washed and dried for the next night or she might run out of gowns. So I tried to increase the supply so that i wouldn’t have to go back after I had washed her clothing because I’ve been doing wash at my house. Well I ordered her three she didn’t like them so I just kept them for myself because I don’t have very many and they were fine so I kept them. So then I order two more well, she says ones OK but not the other. I wash them both folded them up, put them in the bottom of her drawer, and if she wets enough of them that’s gonna be the option. But actually, she’s not been getting her gowns wet now for a while. She gets what she wears for underwear wet part of the time and then somehow she uses towels and her bed has not been wet in a long time we’ve not had to change the bed extra in quite a while now. I have armed myself with your guy suggestions and I am going to go get that bar of fels naptha soap if nothing happens. And I’m just gonna have to learn by trial and error what works for me? I believe my sister said there was nothing in the shower this morning. That’s where she puts all her special dirty stuff😊. Tomorrow is my day. It’s also the day to clean the house. I wish I didn’t feel dread, I dislike that I feel that way.

Ricardo I’m from Ohio. Guess you have figured out that I’m helping care for my mother. Are you here as a caregiver or someone with dementia? .

• Lorita

Iris, hibiscus and Althea aren't the same. Probably in the same family, but different. Altheas are beautiful when the entire shrub is covered with blooms. The blooms are much smaller than hibiscus.

• ricardo

I have early stage Alzheimer’s with very few symptoms

• ricardo

Still high and dry in New Jersey

• ricardo

Been to Pa alot generally Philly never been to Pittsburgh or Ohio

• Mint

welcome to the porch Ricardo. We have a lot of people here from all over. Some on here are dealing with some type of cognitive impairment, others have lost their loved one and some of us are caring for someone we care about.

Many of us enjoy visiting on the porch as we can talk about problems but yet we can relax and takk about daily life too.

David sorry you are having a rougher day. Hope tomorrow is a little kinder. Those logins can give you a run for your money sometimes.

• Lorita
    edited August 20

Well, lost another good FedEx driver. . Jason has been the driver for a few months . He is the one who was carrying a heavy load of dog food to the house from the main road, They're dividing the route so will get a different driver. Just get to know them and they leave.Pay is not good, hours are long. he will go to work for Pepsi. Things never stay the same when they're good.

• ricardo

Always seems to happen

• ricardo

You around to chat?

• ricardo

Anyone around to chat