Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (139)

12346»

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Jo,   Thank You for the other thread. I did read it and it was very detailed and it says a lot. When I got my vaccine it also was very organized the setting was pretty small and I felt very safe. It is amazing how organized bigger places are. I am glad I got my vaccine and I am looking forward to my 2nd one on the 24th. Hugs Zetta
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Waiting for ourd second one too which is well into next month.  When I was thinking of it, I recalled a fleeting very short lived and light headache so transient yesterday afternoon I did not call it a side effect and it may not have been; I am not a headache person.  Had one episode of fleeting feeling of dizzy lasting about a second, but so fleeting it in all probability was not an effect of the vaccine.

Both of our sons had no side effects to the first vaccination.  On the second vaccination, one son had deep fatigue and slept for 16 hours - it lasted about a day.  Other son said with his second vaccination he had a light headache, fatigue and was a bit sore but it too was gone within a day or so.  We shall see.  What I want to do, is after about three weeks post second vaccination, is have  labs run on myself and husband to see if we have the antibodies.  Even if we have to pay for the labs ourselves.   Just would be good to know for sure.

J.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jo I’m smiling and I’m thankful that you and your husband did well.  

Well it snowed all morning.  Probably got around 1.5inches.  Shoveled both drive ways .  Just thankful I have been able to do with out significant muscle issues.  

• SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

I was just informed the MC that I put a deposit down on has 2 rooms available. I have 48hrs to make a decision. My heart is breaking right now.

Nicole

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Space heaters;

Some space heaters use kerosene or natural gas for fuel. Newer models have oxygen sensors that shut off the heater when the oxygen level in the room falls below a certain level. Older models don't have this safety feature. Because of these safety problems, some states ban unvented space heaters.

There is no way I would have a heater  with a  yellow flame on in my home. I don't care what the guy said. I have an electric one near my bed but I turn it off when I turn off the lights.

Boy Howdy...it is cold. Never the less I went out and voted. First I had to get the ice off the wind schield. EVery one had masks. no one touched my ID and you took a clean pen and then put it into the used box for sanitizing.

Garage remote still not working all the time...brand new ....not happy. Clothes washer not working...still. I will have someone look at it. Fixing will be a gamble but the new ones are soooo expensive.

All that talk about broccoli soup made me defrost my chicken stock to make some. I will cook the broccoli in the stock with a bit on onion, blend it then add some cream and a little cheese. Hopefully I will  have made the bread to have with it. Wish I had gotten some good butter. Oh,well.

• Mint
    Nicole know this is a hard decision.  Tough on all.
  • jfkoc
    agree...such a hard decision but then if it is really not a fit you can change  your mind
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Nicole, I know how you feel.  A few months before I lost Charles we put applications for his admission to any of our State Veterans Homes in Oklahoma.  I received calls from two different ones telling me they had a vacancy.  I can remember how I felt - like I'd been punched in the stomach.  I didn't accept either one.  Like Judith said, if you do accept one of the beds and then decide it isn't working, it isn't written in stone.  Would you be able to visit him if he was there?

Jo, glad you and your husband got your first vaccinations and that all went with - with no reaction, how great.  Thanks for all the information - sounds like everything was really organized.  I did call our local Health Dept. today to see if they were giving the vaccinations.  They are but are booked up for the next two weeks.  It, of course, is by appointment only.  She said I could call 211 and get more information about when and where.  

Zetta, I can't sleep with a cat either.  Wouldn't even try one of them except Max and he wants to sleep on my feet.  I move my feet a lot during the night so just doesn't work. 

It misted lightly all afternoon and all the grasses are covered with ice - none on the trees, thank goodness.  I fed the girls Saturday so felt like I should feed them today.  So, got bundled up - could hardly walk.  I wore all the usual things plus I wore my Boggs for the first time.  I was afraid I'd get them on and couldn't get them off so finally ended up with the thinner pair of socks I've been wearing.  Really kept my feet warm but they're heavy.  The hardest part of it was getting the feed sacks opened.  The moisture, tiny bit of it, had frozen the pull tabs so had to take off my gloves every time I opened a sack - but got it done and gave Rose Bud her feed when she came through.  Saw one still up at the hay so drove up and it was Billy and a couple of babies.  He finally did come down.  After I fed I cut ice on the water tank in the lot and filled the other two.

Finally was able to get into the car with the help of a hammer-type thing with a thin blade - after I'd sprayed with de-icer.  Left it running for about 20 minutes. Didn't een try to get into the PU - would have had to take off the tarp and didn't want to do that.  I had six sacks of feed in the Gator - fed four - and by the time I got back to the carport the windshield was iced over.  The next hardest thing I had to do was get 50 lb. of feed out of the PU bed and into the bed of the Gator.  If I'd ever let it get down on the ground I couldn't have gotten it back up but I made it.   I feel better that they had some feed.

Jack called a while ago - he's having a rough time with all that's going on - weatherwise and losing Patsy.  We had a nice conversation and he said he was going to call his daughter - she was having an MRI and a couple of other tests today to try to find out about her headaches.

Judith, I don't leave the stove on at night or if I'm gone.  If there was something really wrong with it I don't think the pilot light would stay on.  I feel like the man I talked with was probably right but I don't like the yellow flame either.  I'll try to call the chimney sweep again tomorrow.  Guess I could ask my SIL - she and her husband owned a propane company for years and now their son has it.  She says he always cleans out her fireplace before use.  I may use the compressed air and see if I can get it cleared.  Our heaters are propane and I leave a window open a few inches so they get enough air.  I'd be afraid to use those other kinds, too.  I installed both of our heaters years ago.  I remember I installed one for my parents and needed some different pieces so went to our hardware store and told them what I wanted and the guy told me I couldn't do that.  Got the pieces and I did do it.  Not sure I'd be able to or want to do that now.   I was always afraid to leave these on when I left the house - afraid the flame would go out and the gas would fill the house.  I think it was the chimney sweep who blew out the flame and showed me the gas went off - they hang these on the wall but I wouldn't want to do that.  We have an electric wall heater but I'd be afraid to use it - we had it put it 20 years ago and only used it a few times so don't know what condition the wiring is in. 

I use a small electric heater in front of the kitchen sink and usually leave one on in the LR during the night and in the bathroom.  They don't blow air, just soft heat.

What's going on with your washer - thought you had it fixed?  What happened to your garage door?   Wish I had a garage - would really be nice in weather like this. 

It says it's going to be zero Sunday morning.  How awful is that?  The first year I worked at the VA Hospital, 1961 I remember being at work, after 8 a.m., and the radio saying it was zero.  The wind chill is what will be bad if it's blowing.  It was bad enough this afternoon.

Sounds like this is soup day for everyone.   I'll probably make potato soup again tomorrow.  I like it with cornbread crumbled in - think I still have a piece or two frozen.

I ordered another 50 ft. metal hose, some Hershey's kisses and a new thermometer - forehead type from Amazon.  My e-mail said it was to come today, by UPS.   I waited and waited and it never came so checked again and it said it was delivered - left on an outside porch.  So, called UPS to find out where this outside porch might be.  She got in touch with the driver and he used the excuse couldn't get through the gate because of the tree so he left it a quarter mile from the house.  Needless to say I did not go down and get it.  She sent him a message to follow through so don't know what that might mean.  Not sure it's the same driver because the new one has been good - brings everything to the porch.  Guess the chocolate will be frozen in the morning.

Better stop and see what's going on in the house - awfully quiet for some reason - everyone must be asleep.   Hope you all have a good night's sleep and can stay warm.

• LizG55
    LizG55 Member Posts: 151
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Hi Sayra..

How/re you doing? That's cold!! brrrrr

• LizG55
    LizG55 Member Posts: 151
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Hi Lorita,

Yes, I know. My house is not very clean anymore but what can you do. Sometimes I can't stand it so then I do. Yesterday I did clean my bedroom and two bathrooms because I just had to. We had rodents in the attic, so I had a company remove all the insulation in my bedroom and then took them a while but blew in new. So my bedroom had to be cleaned up I could never  sleep in that mess they left me. added some extra fuel to my body and got two bathrooms looking decent which was important. But the rest of the house forget it. There are so many priorities. Husband, birds (they can't clean their own aviary) and just keeping up with keeping up. I keep thinking maybe I'm going to have to downsize because I don't think i can keep this house going, Too many things break down and a lot of problems. But I don't have the energy right now to do much more than get the jobs done a little online time and then pass out to start another day. I racking what's left of my brain to figure out how to make life easier...  

• Mint

Good morning,

Twelve degrees.  No snow to shovel yet, but giving 70% chance so we will see.

Liz I’m doing ok.  Thank you for asking.  Don’t know if this would help you or not with your rodent problem.  My sister lives in a wooded area so they have trouble with mice.  They just have an exterminator out on a routine basis to keep things under control.

Lorita be careful, ice is the worst.  Sometimes you can’t see it, so have to be cautious every step.

Still thinking of you Ron, Lou and Laurel. 

Take care

• jfkoc

Liz....crockpot and swifters

Lorita....I over react when it comes to gas...sorry. Be certain to put your alarm on in this cold weather.

Weather report...a thin sheet of ice and dark as night outside. Trying not to worry about getting my second vaccine Saturday....not so much the cold unless they get screwed up again and there is a line outside...the high will be 14 and on Monday is high 7 and low -3. My poor crocus that have just started.

Second day of the impeachment trial...we are living what will be in the history books. I keep telling my grandchildren it is like being at the Boston tea party...

• jfkoc
    NEW THREAD STARTED

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia