Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (147)

12346»

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning,

I've been awake since just after 4 a.m.  A terrible thunderstorm came through and is just now, at 5:37, leaving.  Heavy, heavy rain and awful thunder and lightning.  I guess the power is off because the generator is on and has been for a long time.  I had taken some of the trash out and set it outside the yard gate but I doubt I'll take any down this morning.  I know the county line is flooded.  There's heavy rain and storms around Tulsa but I think that may slide just west of us, I hope.    The thunder and lightning has been so loud and vivid that I'm worried about the little calves.  I don't know if they're in the barn or out in the pasture - just hope their moms keep them closeby.  I'll be very anxious to see all of them when it's daylight.

Butterfly Wings - glad you enjoy hearing about farm/ranch life.  I'm a little duck in a big pond - our herd is small but larger than the average size.  Our vet and a couple of other ranchers have hundreds of head.  With the pastures we have, we're just about at our limit.  At one time when we were running the girls on the meadows after they were baled we had over 100 head.  At that time I wasn't counting - it would have driven me crazy.  So glad you posted - always glad to have another person with us on the porch and to hear about their life.

Rescue Mom - it sounds like your neighbors are very pet conscious people.  Any kind of pet needs to be loved and petted and they don't seem to be getting it at home.  I'd continue like you're doing - things will work out.  I think you'll probably have a new cat and maybe a dog.   Years ago our neighbor west of us had a couple of dogs.  Every morning they'd make their rounds and visit.  One morning there was a beautiful Great Pyrenees puppy - he looked like a polar bear cub.  I was enchanted by him.  He came with them a few mornings, then one morning he stayed.  Next morning they came back and he went home with them.  This happened a couple of times and one time he didn't leave.  He became our fur baby.  I  named him Prince and he was wonderful.  They never inquired about him and I didn't rock the boat.  We had Prince for ten months.  There was something wrong with him - our vet could never figure it out.  He lost all the hair on his front legs and could hardly walk.  I'd take him over and they'd do laser therapy and he'd be better for a few days.  Finally he got down and couldn't get up again.  Eventually it was decided his quality of life was so bad we had to let him go to sleep.  Our vet came to let him go to sleep - then told me he had forgotten the medicine so he took him back to the clinic.  I know he didn't forget the medicine - just couldn't do it here.   That was my first Great Pyrenees.  I have two now - Sheena who I got when she was one (got her through our vet) - she's seven now and Stormy who is six.  I got him (again through our vet) from a neighbor who raises GPs.  He was a puppy and so cute.  Great Pyrenees are the most wonderful dogs - gentle, great watch dogs and so much fun.   Sorry, didn't mean to have such a long paragraph.   I believe dogs and cats know good people and people who would care for them, so seems you're elected.

I couldn't wait any longer last night so called the hospital about 8:30.  Sarah was back in her room and the nurse who I could hardly understand because of her heavy accent, said she was doing all right and was resting.  I have no idea how long the surgery was.  Sarah had said they would call both Todd and I when it was over and that we shouldn't call - they didn't call.  I'm anxious to know what the doctor found.

Beth, thanks for posting the picture of the horses.  Looks like that was a really big snowstorm you had.   Sounds like you had a really busy week with all the things you were doing - sounds like fun.

Iris, I'd never heard that about guineas.  We used to have some and they made wonderful watch-foul.  If there was any unusual activity we were always alerted.  They are pretty birds, too.  Ours were gray speckled.

Sara - glad your zucchinis are doing well and your watermelon.  Wouldn't it be great if you did get a watermelon?   I still have to plant my zucchinis.  Thanks for the information about the tulle - just wondered how you used it.

Just heard on the weather that there are flood warnings everywhere in this area.  The main road - Hwy. 75 - between Tulsa and Henryetta (goes through Okmulgee) is closed because of flooding.  This Hwy. turns into the Indian Nations Turnpike that goes all the way down to Texas.  I know our roads are flooded.  Will be glad when daylight comes so I can check on the babies.  Hope they're in the barn.

I'll stop before I lose this - thought I did once. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more