Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Dad

gaynor
gaynor Member Posts: 1 Member

My dad of 90 has dementia and is getting worse very quickly, he’s aggressive and short temperedTwo days ago he went into hospital for edema and now his care home won’t take him back so he has to stay in hospital until we find him a place.

how do you all cope with the verbal abuse and threatening to punch your face when all your trying to do is care for him.

I left in tears yesterday I wonder where he’s going to end up.

its traumatic for him and my sister and I

half of me wants to walk away and never see him again the other half try’s to understand through the abuse.

any advice appreciated

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

gaynor-

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your need to be here but happy you have found this place.

I have 2 thoughts on this situation-

1. Has anyone suggested an inpatient geripsych stay? This is a common strategy for PWD who are aggressive. They would trial medication to help calm your dad down without sedating him. I would advocate for this option with the social worker at the hospital and have him discharged to that unit directly. This route, assuming they can dial back the agitation and aggression, will make more facilities available to you.
    2. The social worker can help you find a new facility; they often know of resources families don't. If you decide to skip geripsych, you will have to be firm that he is a danger to himself and that you cannot care for him yourself. Sometimes an overburdened social worker will shirk on families who they can manipulate-- don't let that happen.--HB
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more