Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Struggling with my stress

caroap
caroap Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Hi. I’m new to this group. My father passed away a few years ago. He had Alzheimer’s. We had full time live in care for him. Last year my mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia. She is getting worse rapidly. She has a flat that is part of an independent living community. However she is now struggling to live independently but won’t accept that. I am struggling emotionally with trying to organise her life and care. She is adamant she doesn’t need help - but she clearly does. For example often she can’t remember if she’s eaten. I have power of attorney so could take full control and arrange more care - but I don’t really want to take charge in that way and arrange things against her wishes. The stress is now affecting my health so I cannot go on line this but don’t know what to do. I’m verging on tears all day and it has got to the stage where I now dread talking to my mum.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here but glad you found this place.

I am sorry you are living this nightmare a second time. Do you hold a durable or springing POA? Can you act now, or do you have to get a physician to sign off on competency?

I feel like some of the stress you are feeling would be mitigated-- or perhaps replaced with another kind-- if you thought about this differently. When she was of sounder mind and having lived through the dementia of her spouse, you mom chose you to act on her behalf if and when that became necessary. She picked you and in doing so obligated you to act in her best interests.

This won't be easy. It sounds as if she has some anosognosia and is unaware of the changes in her memory and cognition which means this isn't a situation where you can reason with her. You'll likely need to create some sort of ruse to get her the help she needs.

HB

• caroap
    caroap Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you. I have what is known in the UK as a “lasting” POA.

Mum is aware her memory is very bad. However when I talk to her about arranging more care she gets angry and says she won’t let carers in. I feel as if I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know for her physical health I should get her more help but am worried that will impact negatively on her mental health. She will also be very angry and upset with me (although after a day or 2 she may have forgotten to be angry with me!).

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@caroap Does the lasting POA obligate you to protect her?

Three concerns I would have would be:

1. Her being scammed by a bad actor.
    2. Her safety around things like cooking or wandering.
    3. Her social well-being. Many PWD in senior housing can be bullied by older ladies who don't have dementia and don't particularly want to interact with those who do.
  • MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Could you come up with a fib she might accept, even if it takes some time? Maybe the caregiver is a friend down on hard times and you're helping her out by paying he to do some chores. Or you "gifted" her a cleaning lady for her birthday and the person starts with just cleaning and slowly starts adding more services, or it's a nursing student who needs contact hours with the elderly and you're really helping her out by letting her come be with you etc. And sometimes we jut need to accept our LO will be angry with us when we do what needs to be done to protect them. I had to put up with much ire and irritability from my mother, it's a normal part of having a LO with dementia unfortunately.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Time is of the essence. Later probably won’t be easier. If you start soon and find one or two caregivers that stick and can build a relationship with mom and you now, it will be better for everyone as her disease progresses. The “fiblets” MN Chickadee proposed are great ways to introduce someone into the home. Soon maybe you can get some respite relief you desperately need.

I do hope you can find a solution and some relief soon. I’m so sorry for your losses.

• jjoyce3
    jjoyce3 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I am struggling with the same thing as my dad has been recently diagnosed with Vascular dementia; hes very mean, easily agitated, no flight of ideas, thinks he can walk in to peoples yards, get into other peoples cars, do whatever he wants. He is living with me, my husband and I are going crazy with all of this. I feel your pain.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@jjoyce3 Hi jjoyce - Welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason. You are replying to an older thread, but a lot of what has been posted is relevant. MIL has Vasc and alz, and it is not easy.

Do you have DPOA and HIPAA accesses - very important. Do tell his doctor about the agitation, as there are meds that can help without making him 'zombied'.

You can call the alz line, and also search other threads for more insight and ideas for some assistance.

• jjoyce3
    jjoyce3 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I am conservator/guardianship via court, judge stamped, etc. and HIPAA.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more