Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fear in stage 7

lhfry
lhfry Member Posts: 3
Fifth Anniversary First Comment

My husband is the last stages of AD. In the last week he seems to have developed fear of I guess falling, but can’t be sure. If I push his wheelchair through a doorway he grabs both door jambs and won’t let go. Same if I move him from one place to another- he will grab on and not let go. It took two care personnel to get him out of a chair he hung on so tight he lifted the chair with him. If he is at a table, he grabs the table. He bends over and concentrates on his shoes or the floor. This is new. Depth perception difficulty is the tentative diagnosis. Something clearly changed, he seems frightened and it is difficult to reach to calm him. He makes sounds like he is distressed. Any ideas or similar experience? What can be done? It’s the fright that I find most disturbing.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I have no personal experience with my dw but I have witnessed first hand what your saying. A resident where my dw is absolutely petrified of falling. He hangs on for dear life. The cna's assure him they have got him but he trembles are they lower him to sit. It has gotten a little better and they maybe because they have learned how to assure him? I do understand what your saying though. I hate this disease and what it does. My wife does have depth perception issues though nothing causing any distress though.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Long shot, but possible UTI?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It does sound like a visual processing issue.

Some people in the later stages perceive dark flooring or a change in color as a hole.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,747
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You might try pulling him backwards through a door.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband had a similar issue. The only time I saw terror on his face was getting up out of the bed to walk down the hallway. Transferring was a scary thing for him.

When he was in the bed he would comment on how happy he was there. I talked it over with Hospice , and we decided to transfer only when needed. His world shrunk but it was better than what happens when they feel like they are falling.

This was a tough one for me and his family didn’t understand . They wanted to see him up and about but I did what kept my husband happy and content

• lhfry
    lhfry Member Posts: 3
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

Thank you for the responses. The Hospice nurse thought it might be a uti but he was treated and it made no difference. Depth perception problems seems right. Riding in the car helps. I took him for a long ride the other day and he talked (few understandable words), sang (tunelessly) and laughed out loud. This went on for more than an hour straight and he seemed to feel good. Maybe it is the motion of the car or that he feels secure enclosed in it and seatbelted. No lasting effect though.

The accompanying symptoms are more vacant staring, great difficulty getting and keeping his attention. After a long slow decline over many years it seems in the last couple of months to be accelerating. I wouldn’t wish this disease on my worst enemy.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more