Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help! Handling hyper chatter..?!

Hello, brave caregiver!

This issue is hardly the worst thing that Dementia has to offer, but I can’t seem to find communication tips that cover it!

I don’t know how how to talk to, or even around, my dad!

He and my mom (87 & 86) are together in memory care. Her dementia appears pretty minor, but my dad has no short term memory, and has two ‘settings’: napping or super hyper talkative. The good news is that he seems happy and upbeat, never angry !

The repetitive comments, interrupting, questions (to any and everyone), can be disruptive and irritating. It is quite distressing to my poor mom.

The staff people even separate them at meal times, on occasion. (Mom can’t move her wheelchair herself.). Without her there to talk at constantly, he’ll eat and she gets some peace, but it’s not ideal.

He can be temporarily distracted with photos, or questions about his childhood. These are very short term solutions, and don’t allow for conversations about other things. Ideas?

Thank you!!

-Martha

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Have you talked to his docs about this? I'd hate to sedate him just to shut him up, but there might be medications that would mellow him out a little. My bet is that it would be trial and error. Probably relates to what part of the brain is affected, and what you might try may depend on the type of dementia, if you know.

• Stressed Out Daughter
    Stressed Out Daughter Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I wish I knew how to just refocus his energy and attention, but maybe that’s not possible.

Good point about talking to his doctor (or maybe another one)!! The nurses do give him Ativan at times, supposedly only in the evenings, and he already sleeps a lot during the day, regardless.

Ok, I’ll ask his doctor about something milder, but more consistant.

Thanks !!!!

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Medication may help. I wish I had an answer. Just acknowledging that even though it’s not the “worst” thing, these little changes in peoples behavior can be so jarring and hard to deal with!

the only idea I have is if there are some activities or hobbies he could get into. I have no idea what these would be. My mother watches the news, which seems awful but it gives her something to think about.

im glad they have meals separately sometimes. Maybe he will find someone else he connects with. My mom did: they both have major memory issues so a lot of their conversations are not always the most linear, but they vibe with each other.

either wY, I hope you find some help with this. And welcome. This forum has been a godsend to me.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more