Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (191)

1363738394042»

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Myra; what kind of bed did you get your husband? Is it a twin or larger and is it one easily controlled up and down flat? Can he work the controls? Is it hard to get into or easy . . . just wondering as my DH is having trouble with lying flat in bed and I wonder if that would be a good choice for him.

Can you use a headboard with it?

J.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Joan, good for you on your recuperation! I'm glad you're doing well. My cousin was hospitalized for five weeks after a routine knee replacement surgery. Keep healing!

Iris

• Iris L.

I don't seem to have trouble with the pages, I'm on an android phone.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

For each cup all purpose flour add 11/2t baking powder and 1/4T salt.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,315
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 2023

Hi,

When I do start a new number of our thread, will it still be possible to go back to 191 if we might want to? I'll probably do that tomorrow.

I just had the most relaxing, peaceful hour just before sundown. I went down, with Stormy, of course, to check the heifers to make sure they're okay for the night. Only about ten had come out into the open meadow - still drove over to the fenceline where there are lots of trees and good shade. Stormy and I just sat and relaxed with the nice, cool breeze and sounds of moms talking to babies and them answering. There has been one cow, somewhere, today that has bawled and bawled. I drove up earlier to the MH to check but couldn't locate her. With my hearing deficit in my right ear (I'm sure resulting from 33 years of answer telephones, I can't tell directions of noises. It took Charles and I both to locate directions.

That 35 acres is clear so I can see all over it except it's hard to see black angus cows against the trees in the fencelines. However there's an adjoining 20 acres that is not so open. We drove over in there and it's wonderful! There are wide open spaces, cedar trees, all other kinds of trees and areas of snow on the mountain that's at least 4 ft. tall. I found one area that had a huge, 5 ft. tall area of yellow daisies or small sunflowers. I know there's been daisies back there because I've picked them before, years ago. I found lots of goldenrod so I know fall is here. That's one way you can tell the cooler weather is here to stay.

There's two ponds back there - one really deep and completely surrounded by trees - my parents had it dug to use the water for the bathroom (before we got city water in 1995). There's another one that is larger, again surrounded by trees. I remember my mother and I sitting on the pond dump looking at the water when there were no trees back in that area.

I was trying to locate all 30 head of adults - never accomplished that - too many places for them to be that I couldn't get into. I could see only their backs when they were in the tall weeds. It was so great - just like we were in a world of our own - you couldn't see our house or either of our neighbors - only trees, grass and cattle. Had to be careful where we were driving because there were babies laying in the grass - they'd jump up when we got close. Moms had put them down to rest while they grazed. I didn't see any wolves or deer - only a young, dead opossum when I came through the gate by the driveway.

I didn't get into the eastern part of that pasture - it's closer to the driveway. It just made us (at least me) feel so good and close to nature which I do love. All the other pastures are open so you can see half a mile or more if you need to. Back there you have to drive around. It was pretty warm and the heat from the Gator was very warm.

This winter Mike and Toad are going to clear it out and get rid of the smaller trees that are so close together and prevent grass from growing. Will also get rid of those berry vines. I remember years ago picking huge blackberries. The vines were growing up into the trees along the fenceline and I had to reach up to pick the berries. They've since migrated out into the pasture and make it impossible to get through. I think probably the last time I was back there was when Stormy, a bull I had nursed back to health got down and couldn't get up. I called Darwin and he came to help him go to sleep. He said he called Mike to make sure there was nothing else to be done (he was in Tulsa at a meeting). I didn't go back into that area - you know why.

It was just wonderful - Stormy and I will surely do that again. Normally we wait until about 6:30 - by that time the girls have brought their babies out into the open - we went earlier tonight.

Joan, I'm so glad you're getting along so well - please don't overdo. Walking a quarter mile - that's great. It's a little over a quarter mile to our mailbox and I don't think I could walk that far and ever get back to the house.

I've gone on about our trip out into that pasture this evening. I wish you ladies who live in town could experience being out like this and being with the girls and babies. It's a completely different world from living in town. I did enjoy the short time I lived in town but this is far better - for me, at least.

Wishing we could hear from Zetta. Hopefully, she is working more and maybe pet sitting.

Barbara, I've thought of you today and hope your fibromyalgia is improving. From seeing Carol contending with it, I know it is painful.

We're supposed to have rain in the morning and again tomorrow evening and Wednesday. Hope we do get some to make the grass grow. I'll start a 192 tomorrow - if there's a way to get back to 191 if need be. Sleep well tonight.

• Iris L.

Lorita, your day sounded wonderful! It truly is so nice to be in the open air and seeing nature all around you! My extended family had an opportunity to buy a lakeside home years ago, but decided not to. I would love to have bought it myself, but I'm not ready to buy rural property on my own.

Iris

• Jo C.

Whoops! Sayra, the melon? How is it doing?

Lorita, yes; you can go back using Search and get earlier Threads. I just tried it and got (190) with no problem. I think (189) may also be available since the new Platform started. We lost the older ones when the old Platform was discarded with so much of our older Threads and Posts. Should have no problem going forward and be able to find the prior numbered Threads without difficulty.

J.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Haven’t looked at the melon for a few days. It has still been green. Will try to remember to check out today

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Just checking in to let everyone know I'm still around. Lot going on right now with family and my own health! Be back when I feel better!

Ron

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sara's recipe does indeed sound delightful. I googled substitute for self rising flour and here's what I found:

It's easy to make a self-rising flour substitute at home. Here's our Test Kitchen's simple method to make self-rising flour: For every cup of self-rising flour, substitute one cup of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon baking soda.

I agree about starting a new thread. A couple of times when I've clicked on the link for our thread, I've been taken to the very first entry (page) of this thread, instead of to the posts I have not yet read.

I have begun garden clean up. It's a major undertaking - will take me weeks to complete. Our lot is approx 1/2 acre and more than 50% of the backyard is garden. We also have flowers and bushes on the front and both sides of our home. The tomato plants are full of green tomatoes but now that it is cooler they're not ripening. I will not be saving them - you can ripen them inside by wrapping the green tomatoes in newspaper but I'm not inclined to do so.

Prayers for Joan and Ron in their healing journeys. Take care everyone!

Beth

• littleme
    littleme Member Posts: 70
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Lorita, thanks for thinking of me, here in Australia.

I did cancel my holiday, the thought of sitting in a bus for 6 days just didn't appeal. Disappointiing, but the wildflowers will be back again next year, so I will try again then.

Still having fibro problems. I am on two new pills (one from each doctor), low dose of Lyrica, and also low dose of colchicine, which is used for gout (and no, I DONT have gout!) For whatever reason, the pain has eased a lot, but I am still not feeling good. Still very stiff, and with muscle and joint discomfort. Get very fatigued quickly, which rheumatologist is probably due to onging pain. Also tend to get mentally muddled, a symptom of Fibro, but I don't remember ever having it before. But then, I am also having some memory problems, so who knows?

Am using the time to do decluttering. Have been through study drawers, and recycled lots of paper, including records we brought with us when we moved here 10 years ago. Haven't looked at them since then. Now have lots more free space in drawers etc, which had become very crowded. That's a very satisfying result.

Just wish I felt alert enough to get back to writing. Have started a story about a dog ( a blue heeler) who is travelling across country, trying to get back to his home on a cattle station a couple of hundred of miles away, after he was 'dognapped' on the side of the road. I know what comes next, but haven't been able to write -- due to the mental fuzziness-- for at least 6 weeks. Bother!

Barbara

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,315
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Barbara, I answered your post on #192. Sorry you had to cancel your vacation - like you said, there's always next year to see the pretty flowers and then you'll feel better and enjoy it more. I'm curious, when you posted, did you see #192 and was #191 still on the list? Still don't know how all of this works. Jo says we can get back to 191 and I hope we can. Many of us like to look back to see recipes and pictures. Feel better soon.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita, 191 is still available. Just saw your message to Barbara and wanted to let you know. I so love hearing about your cows and their babies. I saw on 192 when you were out watching and checking on all the babies and I could just see you setting there enjoying all the beauty that only God can create! Please never stop sharing about your paradise!!

• Jo C.

ATTENTION: STOP!!!!!!! ATTENTION: THIS IS NO LONGER LORITA'S PRIMARY THREAD - SHE HAS REPLACED IT WITH THE SAME TITLE EXCEPT THE NUMBER HAS CHANGED AND IS NOW 192 . (INSTEAD OF 191.) PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS OLD THREAD.

THIS THREAD, NUMBER 191 IS NOW CLOSED AND A NEW THREAD, NUMBER 192 HAS BEEN STARTED WHICH REPLACES THIS ONE. PLEASE USE NEW THREAD NUMBER 192 SO THIS ONE CAN RETIRE SO MEMBERS DO NOT BECOME CONFUSED OR MISS COMMUNICATIONS.

REMEMBER: YOU CAN STILL FIND THIS OLDER THREAD TO FIND INFORMATION AND PHOTOS BY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE USING THE EXACT TITLE AND NUMBER 191; IT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FULL. NOTE: THREADS NUMBER 190 AND EVEN 189 ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AS THEY WERE THE ONLY ONES TRANSFERRED TO THE NEW PLATFORM WHEN THE OLD ONE WAS REPLACED BY ADMIN.

PLEASE RESPECT THIS. IT WAS NECESSARY TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO A NEW THREAD AS THE OLDER THREAD, NUMBER 191, WAS HAVING PROCESSING PROBLEMS; PROBABLY DUE TO THE HIGH NUMBER OF PAGES.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

• Bundy
    Bundy Member Posts: 26
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

how do I get to the new thread

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Look for Need to Talk to my Friends #192

• Bundy

Need to talk to my friends "192

• Bundy

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Type “need to talk to my friends “ in the little microscope at the top of the page and then click it

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more