Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Resources for scheduling respite

Hello! I am new to this group but look forward to getting to know you all! I personally feel that one of the hardest parts of caregiving is making/finding time for respite. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources they like to use to schedule respite?

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The VA recommended Assisting Hands https://assistinghands.com/ and I'm pleased with the caregiver they provided. She comes once a week for 4 hours. I can add hours/days as needed. They have offices in many states. Sometimes insurance companies can refer you even if they don't pay for it. Wonder if the ALZ help line might have some options?

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Emily,

There is a site called Care.com, which will show you profiles of potential caregivers in your area. My daughter, a CNA, has been hired as a caregiver by posting on that site. I like it because you get to interview the person , as opposed to using an agency who sends someone they choose. Also, I found someone great who had placed an ad in my local paper. She had references which i was able to confirm, and has memory care experience. This last part is very important. Dementia is in a class by itself. Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more