Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (192)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I mix Morton sea salt with my Redmond real salt also, to get iodine, I don’t want a goiter lol. Kind of forgot about that until you mentioned it. I just keep it all mixed up in a big container and haven’t done it in a while.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sara, what is the Redmond real salt? I use iodized salt, any brand but prefer Mortons. Think I have some kosher salt but seldom use it. Same with oils like canola or EVOO if I have it.

• Lorita

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Lemon....Amazon has some powdered "lemons". Gremlin does not seem to have any preservatives.

• Lorita

Sara, lemon powder would be great no spoilage and no refrigeration. No help here with cooking roasts, etc. Good suggestions from everyone though.

Ron, saw on the weather you are having some showers today. It's getting dry here, toi, but the rest of the week will be dry until Sunday. I think I'll look into closing that back barn door if there's not too much digging.

Toad fed our cows this morning for the first time - not hay, just grain. I had rather him feed that behind the barn but not my place to say so. He feeds the heifers first which brings all of ours down to the barn, then goes around and feeds ours. By the time some of our older girls and especially the one who was injured and can't walk fast gets there all the feed is gone. Has to be a better way. I know why he does it - he feeds as he comes to the pastures. Guess they'll learn how to cope.

Just ordered the neatest thing for the GPs. When I have both of them on a leash it's hard to hold them and the leashes get tangled. This has a handle and a place to attach both leashes. Should be a lot easier and it comes with a 4' leash. I have one already and two 6' ones so will have a choice.

Hope all of you are well this morning.

• Mint

Here is what Redmond real salt is in a nut shell. I have no clue if it has a bunch o.f health benefits. Do kniw trace elements are important but so is iodine. That is why i mix them.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We discussed the Redman before...I was going to order the shaker then. Will do so today!

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I love how the thread meanders around. I'd never heard of Chocolate gravy before, I know that DH would love it. New cars - I love "the game" of a new car purchase. Matter of fact, I've gotten several of our friends their vehicles because they hate the process so much. My favorite part is walking out without purchasing anything - ya I do that. I want a fair deal, not the dealership to gouge the purchaser. Baptisms are special, always. And so much more on this thread. And I'll act perfect like Lou if you offer me bbq!

As careful as I am (we are) DH has covid. I've done two home tests on him. Ugh. He's miserable. My huge concern is his lungs. He has allergies and asthma and is very prone to bronchitis. We certainly don't want any complications. Ugh. I have another call into the PCP.

So be careful everyone. We've gone no where except to the PCP for checkups. And the grocery store. But who knows? I'll report back in later.

• Lorita

Eagle, it's out there waiting to get us. I still wear a mask when anyone is around. Now if I could remember to wear it when I'm out in the weeds in the pastures. I sneeze and what I call snough (sneeze and cough) a lot after I come inside. Stormy scratches so the pollen is bothering him, too.

One of the car salesmen I talked with a while back keeps sending e-mails, texts and calls. I don't like that. My mother was the best at threatening to walk away, Eagle, and it usually worked.

Try the chocolate gravy and biscuits- you'll love it. It's a pretty day so need to go out and fix the gate wheel on one of the big gates and maybe a little work on that barn door. It's warm but the wind is chilly. Alexa just said it's 68. Eagle, I can't think of many things all of us haven't talked about.

Iris, how is Simon? Zetta and Joan, haven't heard from you two ladies in a while so hope all is well.

Guess I better get out there while it's still warm.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, Simon has been "bawling", to use your term. I don't know what it means. He doesn't seem to be in pain when I touch his body. I give him physical therapy on his front legs because he is still a bit stiff from his stroke in the summer. He seems to have gained weight. I feed him several times a day, whenever he seems to be searching for food.

Iris

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

CARS: my husband owns an automotive repair shop..

when researching look for the most common repair reasons and the cost of those… parts AND LABOR…

if you have to take half the front end off and apart to do repairs: that gets expensive very quickly..

• Lorita
    edited November 2023

Well, managed to get the gate wheel raised with the help of WD-40, hammer and fencing tool. Walked.over and opened the back lot gate, got tangled up in weeds and almost fell on my nose, but didn't, thank goodness. There is so much stuff to be shoveled that I didn't even attempt to do it. My right knee is really bothering me today for some reason.

Came in and laid down a while, then Stormy and I went back to check the heifers. Saw all of them and babies scattered over the 35 acres. Really pretty to me. When we got back to the house I saw a cow down by the pond, standing still, then saw this baby running toward her. It's supper time and she called the baby to her.

Jeri, I imagine most of car repairs are expensive, parts and labor. I got mixed up with Car Shield for the PU and they wouldn't pay -said my.mechanic had never called tghem. Don't deal with them or Endurance. Talked with a woman at the garage and she had a bad experience with them. Guess if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Used to be able to trust people and take them at their word.

Iris, so glad Simon is doing all right with your loving care. Don't know why they keep crying. Max does it a lot of the time- he may just want attention because he stops when I hold him.

Sleep well tonuight.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Sayra, still haven't found the recipe I was looking for, but you might enjoy this one

Trace Creek Potatoes

1 pkg (32 oz,) hash brown Potatoes.

1/2 cup butter

1 can cream of chicken soup (no water)

12 oz cheese

8 oz sour cream

1 t. Salt

1/4 t, pepper

1/2 chopped onion

2 cups crushed corn flakes

1/2 cup butter.

Thaw Potatoes and place in the bottom of 9 x 13 Inch pan. In sauce pan heat next 7 ingredients. Pour this over Potatoes. Top with corn flakes. Drizzle 1/2 cup butter on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Ron

• Lorita

Ron,that sounds delicious and easy. Could also use fresh potatoes? I don't chicken soup but bet cream of mushroom or celery would work.

• Mint

Ron I have had those potatoes before and they are good.

• Lorita

Morning, It's beautiful out today - a little cool but will be in the 70s this afternoon. After that there will be some changes - think it's supposed to be in the 50s next week. Drove down this morning to see the heifers - forgot to wear my cap so my ears got cold - they're all out grazing except five who are around the bale of hay. I did try to wear my mask while I was out but if I wear it and the sunglasses, the glasses fog up.

Iris, glad to hear that Simon is doing all right - how sweet of you to give his legs PT - he knows you're doing something to help him. Bawling only applies (as far as I know) to cows, calves and bulls. Just their way of making their feelings known. Bulls bellow when they're "girling". I hear one right now. Max sort of screams - just a big meow - no idea why he does that.

Just not in the mood to do anything today. I should work on that barn door because it's going to get wet and chilly next week. Maybe just a little at a time will work.

Need to stop and find something for breakfast - scrambled eggs and hashbrowns sound good but will probably end up with something easier. If I have hashbrown, will grate my own. Made the pumpkin-spice muffins a couple of days ago. One thing I wonder about them - when they come out of the oven the top is firm, sort of crispy. When they sit for a while the top gets really soft - so I freeze them and put them in the microwave for 15 seconds and they're fine. Don't know why the top softens so much.

It's time to start 193 but they're so many good posts and recipes on 192 - maybe I'll wait a couple of days.

Enjoy the day

• Mint
    edited November 2023

Lorita when I make pumpkin cookies, I leave the lid cracked lid cracked. They get too moist If you keep the container sealed has been my experience with the cookies I don’t know about muffins. Just thinking though that it might be the same.

This was the Wednesday to clean mom’s house. It went OK, she wasn’t happy about it, but wasn’t quite as loud about it. The floor looks so nice after I get done with it to me, but she tells me she don’t see any difference lol. Maybe she don’t. I didn’t ask her. She just volunteered the information that she couldn’t tell the difference.

• Lorita

Thanks, Sara, I'll try thst. I bet after you left your mother really admired the floor..

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

DS and I finally finished the fall cleanup of the front garden. Four more lawn bags for next week's collection. The perennials are all gone and we managed to trim the Nishiki willow. The latter needs to be cut back hard at least yearly. DS hates, hates, hates it. In his mind, no tree should require so much attention. It's a lot, and I regret planting it each fall until it branches out in spring.

I need to scrub the hall bath and then treat myself to a long hot shower. Perhaps I'll polish my bedroom furniture. I hate to admit it, but this COVID-related hiatus from chauffeuring Mom to her many appointments is giving me a chance to get sh*! done. My deputy is a lifelong friend of my niece's who is just finishing treatment for breast cancer and unable to work a steady job. She's been doing odd jobs for mom and even drove her to PT yesterday. It's a win-win. My mother gets things done and has company to look forward to and the friend earns some cash.

I am 6 days out from my COVID exposure and still testing negative. Unhappy as I was about the day lost to my initial vaccine reaction, I am delighted I'm sick. Short of the dentist, nobody gets in your face as close as a hair stylist. I was in the salon for almost 2 1/2 hours and it's a tiny space-- smaller than my living room. I seem to have dodged a bullet.

HB

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DH was such a gentleman he has shared his Covid with me. I really don't ever get sick, I just don't. I have knee surgeries, but I don't get sick. Well, that's all changed with Covid. This is miserable just miserable. Oddly we have some similar symptoms and some different symptoms. We're both on antiviral medication and cough medication. I've never coughed this much in my life in total.

When I ask about isolation, etc time our PCP was very guarded with her words. She said the absolute minimum is 5, assuming your symptom free. But we prefer our patients to go off the 7 day isolation which is much better. However, if you can do it 10 days is still the preferred - its still in literature, its still the standard many places go by. You obviously have to live your life, but I certainly don't want a quick relapse simply because you didn't isolate another 3 days.

If y'all hear something, its just DH & I coughing. Ugh. Please be safe.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear eaglemom, so sorry to hear that the Covid virus has invaded your home.

Prayers for you and your DH for a speedy recovery.

Hugs

• Lorita

Eagle, so sorry you and your husband are having such a hard time with the virus. Do you feel like cooking or can you have food delivered?. I'd say to isolate as long as you can and need to. You surely don't want to feel better, then relapse.

This just a hard reminder to us that it's still out there. Carol says she's seeing numbers of cases rising. Had you all had your covid booster this fall? I haven't - still hoping I can get the Pfizer vaccine. Sandy said she originally had Pfizer but her booster was Moderna and she had no trouble with it.. Wonder why there's not more Pfizer vaccine out there.

Cloudy, damp and cool here today.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Eagle, sorry to hear about the COVID. I know from experence it can be frustrating. I remember when we had it; I had to go to the ER for another reason and they tested me. No symptoms but I had it and called Lou's sitter for them to test and they both had it. About the only sympt9they had was dierea.

My high school class had a luncheon today and I was able to go. It was a good turn out of around 30 people which most I hadn't seen in almost 60 years. Really enjoyed it!

Ron

• Lorita

Did you all recognize each other after all that time? Glad you were able to go and enjoyed it!

• Mint

Hope those with Covid get to feeling better soon.

Lorita google where can I receive Pfizer vaccination in Oklahoma. Somethings should come up that gives you the option of putting in a zip code. Here in our area you can get them at CVS.

I did not get a booster last year and so far I have not gotten one this year. I got the flu vaccine and I got my pneumonia vaccine. I just felt like I didn’t wanna take any more vaccines for now. I wear my mask though, I guess I’ll be wearing it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, I feel like I should. What I have noticed, every year there is always a surge right after Halloween and it lasts till about mid to late January. That has been pretty consistent. Started wearing my mssk more first of October. When I go to the grocery store I’m pretty much the only person in the grocery store with a mask on. But I did notice this week , there were a few more people with a mask on besides me, so I had a feeling it must be creeping up a little. The nursing home where my aunt is just had three cases. Ohio no longer thinks its citizens need to know what Covid is doing so I no longer can find out the information that I use to find out about the waste water. It quit becoming public information I think around September. I do look on the CDC website where you can find out a little bit about all the respiratory illnesses.

we had a pretty day today

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited November 2023

Hello Friends,

@eaglemom I am so sorry you and your hubby are ill. I hope you both feel better very soon. My hubby is in a skilled rehab center now (nursing home, at skilled level of care, for rehab from a broken back, ankle, tailbone and humerus) and when I first entered their lobby I saw a sign saying there was a Covid outbreak, and thought oh, great! Well, I found out it was an "outbreak" of 1 patient. Since then, that patient is out of isolation, they continue to test residents and staff very frequently, and 1 staff member has come down with it. When I go in, I wear a mask everywhere except his room and I feel safe (who knows, really?). Best wishes to you.

@Sayra Do you still watch This Week in Virology? I was wondering what they are saying about Covid. I have had 5 vaccines, 4 Moderna and 1 Pfizer. My last vaccine was in September of 2022. I "guess" I would have been eligible for 2 more since then but I am not planning to take any more at this time. Two reasons: 1) If you really wish to know why, go to YouTube and look at Dr John Campbell's videos. 'Nuff said. 2) I got sick after #4: I got nauseated, stood up, and passed out. Also spent the next day in bed. I won't be taking the RSV vaccine either. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. As a nurse, RSV made toddlers and infants pretty sick but I never saw adults in the hospital with it. Also, that vaccine is an MRNA vaccine and I don't want to take any more MRNA vaccines. The spike protein from the vaccine has been found in the heart and brain at autopsy; it's NOT supposed to do that. Everyone please do your research and make your own decision.

Our weather has been very nice lately - have had temps in the 60s! Unheard of for November in Iowa. I have been raking almost every day for about 4 weeks now. (Getting tired of raking - it's hard work!!!) My neighbor next door has a HUGE pin oak and it still has a lot of leaves to come down so there will be more. Oh well. Good exercise, I suppose.

Today is Red Cup day at Starbucks. Order one of their Christmas beverages and they give you a free plastic, DW safe red cup. I went, ordered a peppermint mocha, and now have two of their red cups.

@ronald71111 So glad you were able to attend your class reunion. I had my 50 year reunion in September and had a blast!!! I do have about a dozen "girls" from the class of '73 that I see yearly.

@harshedbuzz It sounds like you need/want to keep yourself busy. Always doing yard work, housework, or helping your mom. I wish I had your energy level! I admire you for your giving spirit too. Glad you are testing negative and pray you will continue to be negative.

@Lorita I hope you and your girls are doing well. Hope you are able to get a new car that you like, and that works for you and the dogs.

@JeriLynn66 Glad you had a good cotton crop. Iowa farmers grow corn and soybeans and alfalfa for hay, primarily. Cotton seems to be an important crop for clothing. It sounds like you live a very busy life!

@Iris L. I hope Simon is comfortable. I have a 15, almost 16 yr old feral cat that I feed. She still runs although she's been known to limp at times. I've noticed recently that she is not taking care of her coat at all. She is full of mats. She still eats well and "travels" well from the pasture/barn behind our house to our house so I don't think she is anywhere close to death...I often have wondered if she will survive the upcoming winter. Her name is Tortie and she is a tortoiseshell color.

@Sayra I wonder how you protect your teeth from the acidic lemon water? Rinse your mouth after drinking it?

There was a discussion on china/dishes recently. I used to have a blog and did tablescapes and at present I have 12 sets of dinnerware but not all are complete sets. I got a lot on eBay and at thrift stores. Some that I had I re-gifted to my daughter and back to thrift stores. I went through a lot! In the winter I like to use 'Friendly Village.' Also, of course, my Christmas dishes.

@jfkoc Good for you cleaning out the attic, etc. We have basements here where I live so that makes one able to store a lot! As I think of the time when we should move to a one level home (hubby's injuries), I think wow, we have a lot of STUFF! I would not look forward to dealing with it.

@ladyzetta I hope you are doing well and have a chance to get to AZ to see your daughter. Glad you cut down your work hours.

@Jo C. I have you and David on my prayer list. Update us when you can.

If I missed you, I apologize but I must close this out before I lose the post

Beth

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Eaglemom and DH, get well soon! I still tested positive after five days on my home Covid test. I tested negative on day ten. I wore an N95 mask from day five until day ten on the rare occasion that I left my home. Here, in SoCal, workers were being told to return to work after five days, with or without a negative test. My doctors are saying that Covid cases are increasing in this area.

I can't believe it! I heard the landscapers with their power tools this afternoon. I thought they were cutting the grass. When I looked out my sliding glass door just now, I can see that they had severely pruned the olive tree just a few feet from me. I don't know if the workers had been able to stare at me inside my home, sitting here in my bathrobe and pj's. It's a good thing I wasn't in my birthday suit! What a shock!

Iris

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

We had inch or more of rain today. It’s clearing out of here now. It looks like we will get more rain and possibly snow on Sunday, and then clear off for the week. All the kids and families will be here for Thanksgiving. I’ll just have one of my sons and his wife staying with me. They will be helpful.

I’m improving some, but still walking with a walker. I’m in physical therapy which seems to help with strength. Boy, it’s almost three months and I have a long way to go. My neighbor just had a hip replacement, so we are walking together every day we can. It’s nice to have company. Jo, I hope you’re feeling better. I’ll read hb’s thread to see if you posted there.

I hope all the friends with Covid are feeling better. We have a few cases starting up here again. I’m glad I’m out of the hospital. Lorita, my pharmacist said it’s really ok to take a different brand of Covid vaccine. I don’t know what I got, but I had no reaction. I think I’m all caught up on vaccines for this year. I didn’t get the RSV vaccine.

I'm sorry the loss of the calves Lorita. It’s always sad to lose the babies, but all part of ranching.

Ron, I haven’t seen my classmates in years. I don’t think I would recognize any of them. I’m sure I would embarrass myself if I ran into any of them.

I need to read and catch up with everyone and what you’re doing I’ll do that after I eat my dinner. Have a great night everyone. Joan

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good and not so good news here today:

The barn is up!! Still have to have the roll up door but I’m happy to finally have a RED Barn in the pasture (matches the red chicken mansion) Now we’ll move the rest of the goats and sheep down from the Huntland, TN farm.. and they’re close enough for me to make morning and evening pasture rounds like @Lorita !!😊

But I won’t be riding the golf cart since someone STOLE it today!! I’m so mad 😡

This land has been in my family over 100 years; never had issues.. so I feel a little invaded. Getting cameras to surround the house, shed and then the barn.

Hope everyone is recovering from sickness. And wishing everyone good rest for tonight.

• Lorita
    edited November 2023

Hi everyone, good to see your posts. Sounds like covid may be trying a comeback but it really hasn't been gone. Beth, I will watch that video..

Sara, I did check about the vaccine and looks like the closest place to get the Pfizer vaccine is 30 miles away. Guess I'll take the Moderna. Good you're wearing your mask better than being sorry you didn't.

Joan, I've heard that and also read getting the different one might be beneficial. Glad you're able to go for walks. I'm sure you enjoy that. Thanks Joan, really hate to lose babies. This morning I only saw two of the three white calves so this evening I was determined to find it. Finally did laying by the water. Just called Mike to tell him. He and Sidney were bleeding pigs so he called back. He said the white one may have had pneumonia. They're seeing quite a lot of it. He said the cow or calf will lay down close to water because of their elevated temp. To be cooler I guess. He did have an idea about the loss if the first one. I told him it was dealer across a terrace and he said it might not could have gotten up. No idea why the cow didn't clean it up though. Hate this part of ranching even though they're no longer mine. I do still have Billy the Bull!! The heifers are getting gentler- I stop and talk to them.

Jerilynn, congratulations on the new, red barn to match the chicken mansion. We used to have a three level red barn - loved it but it burned in 1961 and was replaced by a larger, one level sheet iron one. No red ones around here now. Good cotton crop. My family moved to this farm 87 years ago and I've been here 81 of those years. Sort of feels like home. I was born in the front bedroom. I haven't gone very far in my life.

Iris, I bet that was a shock. Why did they trim the tree? Is Simon doing okay? Need to find something for supper. Enjoyed reading all your posts. Sleep well.

Oh, Happy Birthday, Oklahoma! We became a state 116 years ago today - number 46. That was the year daddy was born.

I

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney