Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mom forgets that Dad has passed

dschafer
dschafer Member Posts: 1 Member
We helped my mom move from her home of over 45 years into a retirement community last December. I'd say she's in Stage 5 of Alzheimer's, but still in independent living. She doesn't love it and hasn't embraced being around other people, mostly because she knows her memory is not good. She recently started forgetting suggesting that she doesn't know why Dad "put" her in this apartment and left her there. Dad passed away back in 2005. I know in some cases it's best not to remind someone that a person has died. It can't be better to let her believe that her husband has left her, though. I try to carefully guide her back to remembering why he isn't around, but I'm just not sure what is least painful. Any suggestions?

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi dschafer - welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason.

A lot of folks use the fiblet that their partner is away on business. Is your mom realizing this move is permanent? Depends on how your mom sees the situation, but you could tell her the house is having repairs. That could help, but again, depends on your mom, and how far along she actually is.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think this is pretty common, but how to handle it may vary depending on your mother's temperament. My partner repeatedly forgets that her parents and sister have died, but it doesn't upset her to be corrected/reminded. Probably a judgement call.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more