Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Calming meds for anxiety?

patiron
patiron Member Posts: 11
First Comment

Hi, when music, diversion, soft textures, fresh air•••golf kart ride etc won't comfort Mom's agitation, sundowners type intense anxiety. Are there any prescribed medications that work well in anyone out there's situations

Thank you

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi patiron. Yes, there are multiple medications that could help and improve her quality of life-the agitation is unpleasant for her as well as for you. Two categories of drugs are commonly used, the SSRI family of antidepressants such as Zoloft and Celexa, and the atypical antipsychotics like Seroquel. They can be used together; my partner is on both Zoloft and Seroquel. I personally think the Seroquel helps her more, particularly with sundowning and sleep.

• patiron
    patiron Member Posts: 11
    First Comment

Thanks for the insight---appreciate that

• korbkelly
    korbkelly Member Posts: 10
    First Comment

Hi there! I used to work in geri psych and low doses of seroquel, risperdal and trazadone seemed to work pretty well with our agitated folks. Def. talk to your doctor though and see what they recommend.

I would discourage any use of benzodiazepines like lorazepam or clonazepam; they can sometimes cause rebound agitation (saw it MANY times). good luck!

• melissad65
    melissad65 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Seroquel really helps my mom.

• Anngalyon
    Anngalyon Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Seroquel has worked well for my LO. He started at 50mg and within 2 years has gradually worked up to 100mg. It helps him to sleep and wake up refreshed.
  • sharimcclure
    sharimcclure Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Does your person take Seroquel during the day? My DM is getting Seroquel 3x day for anxiety and 50 mg at night for sleep. She complains of brain fog. I worry it is too much Seroquel. They took her off Zoloft and then added the daytime Seroquel. I’m thinking she needs the SSRI not so much Seroquel.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more