Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

2 Parents with Dementia - HELP

BWomack213
BWomack213 Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Hello, I’m new here. I’m 31 and over the last two weeks, both of my parents have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s/Dementia. My dad is only 56 and has ben diagnosed with mixed dementia - doctors are still trying to figure out his “unique situation” as he has no previous health conditions. He hasn’t been has a cavity before. They believe it is associated with environmental but are not certain as he’s had no breathing/lung problems or no blood work problems. My mother has had health issues her whole life, but it doesn’t make the diagnosis any easier.

I’m torn with my dad right now. Bc he’s had no previous health issues, he’s experiencing so many firsts: first time taking prescription meds, first time having “symptoms” that are out of the ordinary, first time having to be dependent on someone. He’s tried his best to be cooperative, but it’s been rough. My problem I have that’s bothering me is he’s quickly losing his ability to communicate with me. He tries to tell me things about how his hands feels, his stomach feels, etc. & I find myself deciphering every other words. Eventually, he gets frustrated and just says “it’ll be okay.” I want to help him, but I’m having trouble with the way he communicates & he shuts down.

I’m new to this, so any guidance or resources will be great. While my mother has this issue as well, she’s in the earlier stages and has bouts of the symptoms. My dad on the other hand shows severe decline throughout his brain at a rapid speed. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• machelriller
    machelriller Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi, I am so sorry you are dealing with this with both parents and at a young age. With my dad, I sort of fell into a rhythm of understanding what he is trying to communicate based on context even if the words or wrong, but it sounds like your dads decline has been really rapid. I’m not sure if this will solve your problem, but one thing I have found really helpful in communicating is giving options, not asking open ended questions. So instead of asking “What do you want for dinner?”, ask “Do you want pasta or burgers for dinner?” Maybe a similar strategy could help with your dad?

I have found this forum and the Alzheimer’s association support groups really helpful.

• pacoannie
    pacoannie Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Is he having a hard time finding his words? Is it possible pictures he could point to might help him communicate? I’m sorry. This must be really hard for all of you. That’s a lot on your shoulders. I hope you have a support system for yourself

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more