Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends ,(193)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What cute baby kids! Five pounds sounds like a big weight for a newborn goat, considering that a human newborn weighs seven pounds.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Cute baby goats.

zetta know you will be glad when both eyes are seeing well.

Take care everyone

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited January 29

Morning, the sun is shining brightly and it's supposed to be in the 60s most of this week.. I've gotten in the habit of getting up around 8-8:30. Have always liked to get up early but surely feels good to stay in bed and hit the snooze. Zetta, take care. Will your son take you in for your extraction?

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sweet little babies, @JeriLynn66!

@jfkoc I got my Ninja from my neighbor at her garage sale. I don't know the age but it works well. On the front it says Ninja Professional 1000 W. It is a large machine, not for single serve smoothies.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning all.

@BethL Thanks for the tip about the Uniball pen. My favorite pen is a different Uniball gel ink one-- it's the one I don't lend out. My concern is as much about the scammers taking a pile of outgoing checks and having missed payments, late fees and cleaning all that up. Yech. It's best to avoid it.

@ladyzetta Good luck with your upcoming eye surgery. My husband found the weeks between #1 and #2 surgeries a challenge. He's pretty myopic with a mild astigmatism-- he couldn't read (he spends most of the day reading normally). The TV was on a lot during that time.

@Caro_Lynne Nut butter is like peanut butter but made from different nuts and even seeds. My niece makes them-- sometimes with a almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds. She doesn't cook much, but she makes her own smoothies, ice cream, dehydrates and makes fermented things.

@JeriLynn66 Congratulations on the babies. They are adorable. Who picked the names?

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Welcome to the world Miss Jilly Jelly Bean and Jax Jr. - sooooo cute!

Pulled the trigger on the Vitamix - QVC has a way of making it easy to buy stuff ..lol Hope I like it. When I receive it I'll be asking you all for what to do with it.

I know what you mean about sleeping in Lorita. I usually wake up around 5, out of bed by 5.30, so I can have time to myself before LO wakes. Today I woke up at 5 and went back to sleep until 7. Felt so good to stay in bed. I always feel if I sleep in I'll miss something SMH. I bet the girls are enjoying the nice weather too. How's your ankle.

Ron, hope you are feeling better. We worry about you.

Beautiful day here too. Sunny and 60 degrees - yay.

Zetta hope all goes well with other eye surgery.

HB, you will definitely have to give me some recipes to make with the blender.

Thanks for the info Beth, HB, Judith all.

xo Caro

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

HB, I picked the names 😂 DH doesn’t much care and probably thinks I’m a little silly 😜

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Went to zvA ER this morning@ leg ultrasound, ct scan with contrast and xray. Now waiting on results!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Caro....holding my breath waiting for a report on the Vitamix

• Lorita

Hope the ultrasound results are negative, Ron.

Caro, which color did you get?

Ankle is sort of stiff and sore but walking on it okay. I'll wrap it or see if I can put on one of those ankle socks I have. I think I got them to see if they would help with Morton's Neuroma.. I think they may be too tight. Not any more the doctor can do. It will just take time. The day is beautiful. No WI d, warm and sunny. Girls have been fed, hay at least. Fed from tractor again.

Kind of worried about Sheena. She slept in and isn't very active but she did go outside a while.

How are the babies this morning, JeriLynn? Bet you were anxious to see them this morning. I need to see our baby today. He's two weeks old. I think Gray Lady is about due, too. Miss getting out and seeing them every day.

• jfkoc
    edited January 29

Lorita....the Dr can xray, diagnose and treat. So far you have diagnosed and mede your own treatment plan.

BTW...did you get your Covid shot? Were you able to meeteith your attorney and if so any wisdom you care to impart?

• Caro_Lynne

Lorita, I got it in black, I'm pretty basic and boring. How old is Sheena? We worry so much about our fur babies. My little chi had a mast cell tumor, had surgery to remove it however the vet could not remove all of it because it was wrapped around a femoral artery. That was about four years ago and she is doing well. She has a yearly scan to check if spread and a heart test to monitor her heart. I decided I would not take her to doggie oncologist since I think treatment would have been very hard on her tiny body and vet agreed. I give her the best life I can and I am never without her - I think I've mentioned that.. lol

Judith, your post reminded me of when, a few years ago, I was feeling so so bad, everything was off. I google diagnosed myself with occipital nerve damage and went to doctor to get a referral for an MRI to confirm my diagnosis. Turns out my blood pressure was over 220/95 and had other issues. My doctor could not believe I had not had a stroke, heart attack or was even alive. He wanted me to go straight to ER but I told him I've survived two weeks like this and I am not going to the ER. Scary times but once BP normalized I was fine.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Back home with instructions to follow up with primary care Friday. Had ultrasound of leg and no blood clot, cat scan with contrast, xray and blood work. I was dehydrated and was told that could cause some of my issues. Also, heart rate was OK this morning but was told if it elevates again and doesn't go down come back to ER, don't wait on primary care appointment. I do have a oxymeter and wrist blood pressure cuff.

Stopped on the way home and picked up some fried catfish, will warm them up and have some french fries for supper tonight.

Ron

• jfkoc
    edited January 29

Caro......Black is never boring and basic is alway classy in my mind. Yep, I would have gotten the black too. ..lol...I simply did not like the colors added to a black machine. Mint was my least favorite.

Lorita.....you should take care of yourself at least as well as you do your cows. If you go down the cows get no care.

Ron.....good update...thanks

• Caro_Lynne

Ron sounds good so far. How did they determine you were dehydrated? Good advice to go to ER but pray you don't need to. Haven't had catfish in a long time. How was Lou when you got home?

Caro xo

• jfkoc

Ron...you may need to replace electrolitesas well as up the water. I have packets of Pedialite powder on hand. Always. You can order on line or get from pharmacy but often they are out.

• Lorita

Caro, they said the shiny, piano black was the most popular. Really hope you like it. It's been a really nice day. Having sunshine has been a treat.

Judith, I made an appt. With my doctor about noon for Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure things are okay but we'll have the x-ray to be sure and maybe a boot for stabilization. I've been putting refrigerated and frozen things in my WM cart for a while so will pick them up when I'm in town.

Ron, so glad things are all right. I get cranberry juice in eight packs in small bottles so I reuse those bottles for water. Bet I drink six or eight a day. I've always drunk a lot of water. The Urologist I worked with had all his patients drink eight glasses a day along with cranberry juice. One of the last times Charles went into the hospital he was badly dehydrated and I had no idea he was. It can be so easy to forget to drink water. Try to drink a bottle or glass every couple of hours.

JeriLynn, how are those babies? Do they get up shortly after birth like calves do?

Been another lazy day here.

• JeriLynn66

Babies are doing great! Yes Lorita, the babies get on their feet right away. Jax Jr is a squealer lol. Boogie is eating well and her lady parts look fine- so she had a good delivery. Moved Lilly and Jake’s food bowls out of the barn hall so hopefully that will help with Lilly’s aggression.

It turned off sunny today but still a cold wind. Supposed to be better the rest of the week.

• Lorita

Hi, Glad the babies and Boogie are doing all right. I bet they're so cute. Maybe, sometime you can get a picture of Boogie and them together - when they're a bit older. Good idea to move the feed bowls. With cows, there's the worry of them right, then the hurdle of the baby getting up and finally of the baby nursing. Then you can breathe easier.

Someone asked me a couple of days ago (sorry I forget who and can't find it) how old Sheena is - she'll be ten in a month or two and Stormy will be nine in a couple of months. She's not feeling well today - she's slept a lot which isn't unusual - she did eat some Moist & Meaty and has drunk water and went to the bathroom when I went outside with her. She has spent a lot of time in the bedroom sleeping in the sunshine. She moans or groans but I've thought it was maybe snoring but now I'm not sure. If she isn't acting better tomorrow I'll try to get her in the car and if I can't, I'll ask Darwin to help. I wish I had a ditch or low place I could back up to and let her walk in but I can't think of any place at all. Maybe that's something I'll work on later.

FedEx finally delivered - almost 6 p.m. There were two girls and one of them brought in about five loads of things. They were from WM and Chewy and had been ordered over a period of week and half. They haven't been able to make deliveries so they stacked up. She said the roads were pretty bad. Maybe the wind from yesterday and sun from today will dry them out some.

Maybe there will be something good on TV tonight - hope so. See you all tomorrow.

• harshedbuzz

@Caro_Lynne Does the Vitamix come in anything but black? I know my niece's one is black-- probably also from QVC-- she's a fan. I hope you like it as much as she does.

@ronald71111 I agree with @jfkoc you might need to add electrolytes with your increased water uptake. DH has leg pain sometimes; his cardiologist has him taking magnesium at night and suggested adding more fruit to increase his potassium. Bananas and melon are good sources. Lord knows that man doesn't need to increase his salt intake. My PCP added a mild diuretic to my BP meds which has resulted in me having occasional leg cramping overnight-- so unpleasant.

It's been a rough couple of days. On Sunday night, DS was going to drive mom home and hit a car backing out. He was driving our car and didn't see the other one in the backup camera. The neighbor's kid has a friend who drives him from sports-- his car is black and he often parks in the middle of the cul de sac where they finish whatever conversation they were having. He cuts the engine which turns out the light. On Sunday his car was 25' from the curb. I had all 3 boys come in and talked them through the protocol of what to do. This other kid had no idea what to do and just brought in the contents of the glove box and dumped it on my dining room table DS did the same. I made copies of everybody's credentials. The boy was driving his grandmother's car, so I talked to her on the phone a bit assuring her no one was hurt and that the car was drivable and that I would submit a claim Monday and get back to her. So far my insurance has been on it-- I have an appointment at the body shop in town at 1pm, the rental company has already been looped in to meet me when I drop the car off and they've reached out to grandmother to arrange the same for her.

DS was driving mom because we had some wine with dinner. My car is drivable-- the signals work but the taillight lens is cracked-- but DS was too rattled to drive, so I got mom an Uber. She wanted to stay over, but she didn't have her bi-pap (Boy scout that I am I carry a Ziplok of her evening prescriptions and a rescue inhaler) and was all hyped-up growling about those "dumb boys" and I needed peace and quiet, so I sent her home. I reminded her that I would see her next day to drive her to the doctor's office as I put her in the Uber.

My niece's IVF cycle isn't going well. She's not responding as well to the meds as she should be. She's got daily appointments at the clinic for ultrasound and blood draws. She's at a work conference for the week, so she's driving almost 4 hours R/T each morning for these appointments and putting on her game-face at the evening work dinners after getting disappointing news when she'd rather be home with her husband. Meanwhile, he's having a colonoscopy today. Given his age, this isn't a routine screening so I do hope it's nothing serious. My niece has the worst luck of anyone I know so I'm on edge about this as well.

Alas, when I got to her house to drive her to the appointment she looked at me and said "Am I supposed to go somewhere today?". I gave her 8 minutes to put some clothes on and off we went. We would have been on time save a terrific traffic jam. Ugh. She probably didn't have her hearing aids in, so this was probably a pointless exercise. When she flakes like this, I wonder if I'm falling back into Dementialand. My mom's flakiness is legendary but I think I need to be paying closer attention.

HB

• Caro_Lynne

Good morning all.

HB yes on QVC they offered several colors including, red, slate, white, blue and some other color I think. Sure sounds like you had an eventful evening. Glad no one was hurt and the cars can be fixed. That's to bad about your niece. How long has she been trying to conceive? Hope all turns out well for her husband. I love you way you take care of your mom, she's fortunate to have you.

I'm taking LO to dentist, he needs crown and they are filing down tooth and taking impression today. He needs two more but the dentist said we can wait a few months for those since doing the three at once would probably be too much for him. He is, at this moment, looking for a girl that he says is here - oh well, guess I'd better go help him find her!

Caro xo

• harshedbuzz
    edited January 31

@Caro_Lynne

Good to know about the Vitamix-- I had no idea they came in colors.

My niece is older (43) and lost an unplanned, unexpected pregnancy a few months back. They've only been married a few years; her previous boyfriend (who she expected to marry and have a family with) died as the result of a home accident when she was 33. She and her husband hadn't planned on children but were devastated by the loss and decided to try. Her doctor referred her to a clinic because of her age. This is her first IVF cycle and it's been rough. The meds are something else entirely. Odds are not in her favor. That said my mom's dad was born when she his mom was 52. I cannot imagine.

HB

• Caro_Lynne

HB, did I misread this, your mom was 52 when her dad was born .. lol

• Lorita

Hi, pretty day here supposed to be near 70. Been walking on my ankle and it sort of hurt so wrapped it. I need to try those socks I talked about.

Sheena seems fine today. She went outside with Stormy and laid in the sunshine, then didn't want to come in. She's in and sleeping now. The girls are outfront ,first time they've been this close in a while. Saw the new baby who is over two weeks old. Haven't seen Gray Lady - hope she's okay. Don't think I need to go look for her.

Need to shampoo my hair- always dread that. Completed my Wal-Mart order to pick up tomorrow. Always a job to get it all inside and put away. Most of the things will go go in refrigerator or freezer so can't wait too long. Do wish I was in their delivery area.Hope all if you are well today.

Joan, think I hope you're improving daily. How is the sciatica?

Day, also been thinking about you. I hope your injuries are improving. Haven't seen a post lately. Every time I watch QVC I think of you. Post and let us know how you are.

Better go and get my hair shampooed. Should go to the mailbox first.

• Lorita

I did and now I'm worn out. On the way back to the house saw a cow giving her baby supper behind the barn so stopped to talk to her. Gray Lady was back there, too so when I got to the house drove the Gator out to check on her. She got up and looked okay big as a 50 gallon barrel but udder isn't full yet. I watched her and she walked slowly back up toward the hay. Guess she wss just enjoying the sun- all of them were today.

Shampooed and dried my hair- glad that's done. Got my new thermometer yesterday so thought I'd try it out. Temp was 100.2. Then, after taking it again, realized it was heat that was still on my skin from the hair dryer, I hope.

Have any of you ever worn Vionic shoes? Today's special value on QVC is Vionic recovey shoes. It's a mule - the only kindof shoe I can wear. Supposed to have a really good arch support which I know I need. Just wondering. Sandy, I think you have worn them. Did they help?

• JeriLynn66

I have some Vionics and really like them. Your Dr. appointment is this week,?right?

HB- just bless your heart.. what an ordeal. Hoping the best for your niece.

• Lorita

Thanks, JeriLynn. I may try them. Appointment is tomorrow st 1:30.

• Iris L.

Lorita, do you wear the mules outdoors? My podiatrist told me I should always wear supportive lace-up shoes.

Iris

• harshedbuzz

@Caro_Lynne

I did write that. I meant to say, my grandfather's mother was 52. In my defense, it's was early.

@Lorita

I have a pair of Vionics I'm sort of meh about. I have a friend who wears nothing but Vionics. Serious, she donated all her other shoes once she found these. People tend to love them. I needed black loafers last fall. I'm super fussy about shoes-- ridiculously so. I don't like synthetic materials. I have plantar fasciitis. I have a foot that's wider but not extra wide-- I can wear athletic shoes, Birks, Borns and Clarks medium width but generally buy a wide in other brands. And they have to meet my definition of stylish.

I bought the Uptown Loafer and I find they can be painful if I wear them a couple days in a row. It feels like the substantial arch support is not quite in the proper place for my particular footbed. I don't have this with Birks or Eccos. Also, the arch support is quite firm-- it feels harder than some other brands with built-in orthotics or my custom ones. When they bother my feet it's like I have been walking barefoot on goose-egg-sized river jacks. I sized up to an 8 because I wanted to wear them with heavier wool socks, but the arch support didn't feel different in the 7 1/2. I really wanted this to be my holy grail shoe brand but they aren't for me. The pair you're looking at seem to be a more cushiony material, so the arch support's likely less rigid. And you could always return them. They don't look like the ideal footwear for unpaved surfaces IMO.

If you're looking for a comfortable shoe with some arch support, Crocs (hideous though they may be) might work for you at a much lower price point. Their clogs come with a strap that can be worn as a slingback or not. I wear mine to garden because they feel good and are substantial enough to not roll and ankle. And you can hose them off which is nice.

I saw this and thought of you-- a cow Jibbitz.

Gold Cow Skull Jibbitz™ charms - Crocs

Yesterday went sideways. I called to check in on mom as I do, and she sounded seriously winded. She had just brought her wheeled trash bins up from the curb-- this is not strenuous work-- her driveway is a barely inclined and only one car long. On top of her vague symptoms Monday (she gets goofy when her heart or lungs aren't working well), I probed. Turns out she had some chest pain on exertion which is not good. Realizing that it would take me as long to convince her to call an ambulance as it would to grab her and go, I told her to get dressed. She fought me on the ER visit-- she wanted to see her PCP or her pulmonologist first but I insisted. We were fortunate it wasn't busy. She didn't have her hearing aids in, so I got to do most of the talking which worked out well-- she has a tendency to downplay her symptoms as if she thinks she's being a bother. We had blood work, a chest film and EKG within 20 minutes. The results started coming in within 20 minutes-- you have to love EPIC.

Her lungs looked OK for her, but her heart has enlarged since her last chest X-ray in September which isn't good. They're testing for heart muscle damage, there seems to be an increase from her last visit; we should know more when she sees a doctor today. Because her cardiologist is with a different hospital system, I asked for the consult to be with someone from the practice my DH uses. I got very lucky here as well got one of the 2 I know from past visits and like. DH usually sees a guy who is a real jerk but keeps him in good shape.

The doctor she saw is older-- late 70s maybe older. He reminds me of the grandfather models in the LLBean catalog in both features and apparel. While he was scrolling through her medical records on my phone, she looked over at me a mouthed silently "he's old, isn't her?". Pot, meet kettle.

I'm enjoying some peace and quiet with my tea this morning. But I'd best shower and get on with the day. I expect they'll discharge her at some point. They may run some tests first. I suppose they could turf her to her regular guy for tests, but it would be great if they made it happen while she's there. I need to reschedule the appointment I had yesterday to get an estimate on my car. Maybe I could do that on the way to the hospital.

HB

• Iris L.

HB, is your mom on meds for congestive heart failure?

I wear Crocs as my indoor shoes and I love them.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney