Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to this site and Alz/Dementia info

My husband was just diagnosed with Mild Late Onset Alzheimer's w/Dementia with Mood Disturbance (depression/anxiety). I've been a mess, exhausted, frustrated, angry, then sad, isolate, alone... I'm in Los Angeles, CA and just hoping to reach out to anyone who could talk with me about all of this. Thank you!

Comments

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope you can find the help you need and this is a great place for that. People here have dealt with everything imaginable when it comes to dementia and Alzhiemer's and should be able to offer support.

Possibly some could speak with you in person but most are here on the forum. Please realize this is not an easy road to travel but you are here with people that understand. Hoping you find strength and resilience.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 342
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

This forum has been a lifeline for me. Learned and still learning so much. Members are very supportive and informative. In addition to what GH posted, if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a 24/7 assistance line that may help you further.

• kgorlick
    kgorlick Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I appreciate your kind words. When I said "talk" I did mean online talk. Thank you again!

• kgorlick

I'm looking forward to the support! Thank you!

• Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 46
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I have found a lot of information and guidance on this forum. It seems the resources are so limited. Alot of the workshops and support groups all occur during the day when I am at work. It is very isolating. So this forum has been helpful. As a caregiver, I find it difficult to ask for help but we have to take care of ourselves too. So reaching out on this forum can helpful.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Best advise, I'm so glad I'm here

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome kgorlick. I live in LA but I am not there right now. There are several resources in this area. You can Google Greater Los Angeles Alzheimer's Association for their telephone number, it is separate from the national Alzheimer's Association. Ask to speak with a Care Consultant or an Early Stage Coordinator. You can ask any question.

You can also Google Leeza's Care Connection which is an in-house center for PWDs located in Los Angeles

Nevertheless, the members here are very experienced and knowledgeable and can answer just about any question. You will get a variety of experiences. Read a lot of threads and post whenever you have a question or comment.

Iris

• kgorlick

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support. Another question. My DH cries off and on all day and then sometimes just gets frustrated and burst out some word. The crying does drive me crazy. There are no sensible reasons for it. Don't know how to help when he's like that... anyone? Thank you!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Look up pseudobulbar affect--it is uncontrollable laughing or crying related to brain dysregulation. There is a medication called Nudexta that might help, you could ask his docs.

• kgorlick

aw great, thank you! this is so helpful!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

kgorlick welcome to the forum, but sorry you need it. Rest assured that you will get a lot of help and understanding from people here. When I first joined, I had almost no knowledge at all about dementia. This forum was really a game changer for me.

If you read some of the older posts, you will see just about every subject imaginable. Doctor/patient relationships, dysfunctional families, separations/divorces, sex, you name it. It's all good here. And there is support for all of it. Members here are caring people.

• kgorlick

thank you!

• kgorlick

sounds about right because since yesterday he is laughing at things so hard, even at things he would never have laughed at! better than crying I thing!

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 102
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Kgorlick,

I just wanted to say hello to you as I am pretty new on this journey as you are. My DH has MCI with a diagnosis of ALZ. I will say that after the initial shock, things are getting better as I accept this. I focus one day at a time on finding the best ways to cope with the changes in our lives.

I lurk😄more than I post here but I do find many supportive and helpful things.

Sorry you must travel this road but know others will travel with you.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome and so sorry you have to be here. In addition to getting the right meds, read "The 36 hour day", watch You Tube videos from Tepa Snow and get counseling for yourself when you get overwhelmed. Please keep in touch as this site will definitely help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more