Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Catastrophic Reaction to pain

wctraynor
wctraynor Member Posts: 13
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
My mother, 83 , Mixed Dementia (Vascular & Alzheimers) mid to late stage, lives with me and has been Physically able to transfer and walk with a walker us to this point. However, she had a fall last week, and even though she didn't fracture her hip or pelvic area, she is reacting to the pain in such a severe and dramatic fashion, i thought i was making it worse by helping her up and down. I was sure they missed a fracture in there at the ER, but even second opinion Urgent care said no fracture and she is reacting this way out of fear. The last two days have consisted of me not being able to get her to go to the toilet without very loud child like cries and moaning, even though she can be distracted very easily to stop that and look at a squirrel or something out the window. It is very strange. She reacting like she is being cut in half with a saw, if i just get her to shift a tiny bit. Yet once she is up and using the walker she is strong and has a good gait, but just freaking out. I don't know what to make of this new behavior. It has gotten slightly better every day since, and they gave us muscle relaxers to un-tension her back muscles. But she has definitely declined in her speech abilities and been more anxious than ever before. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this kind of over the top reaction to pain or anticipation of pain.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

some pelvic fractures can be very hard to detect, will only show up after several weeks or with special testing like a bone scan. I wouldn't count on an urgent care for an accurate diagnosis. An orthopedic surgeon, perhaps. that said, treatment is always conservative, use of walker and pain medication. Have you thought about hospice evaluation?

• wctraynor
    wctraynor Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Yes I thought i needed to start with paliative care but now I am thinking Hospice. Not sure what stage we are supposed to do that in.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

doesn't matter. You don't need a doctor's order, just call yourself and ask to have her evaluated. Guidelines are a bit looser with dementia, doesn't necessarily indicate death within six months. If she can't walk, she'll probably qualify. Nothing to lose by asking.

• Lynn24
    Lynn24 Member Posts: 82
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Your mother is eligible for hospice due to becoming frail and having recent falls. My mother was admitted to hospice comfort care services, a month ago due to her progression of delusions, paranoia and she has now become very combative towards baths or changing her clothes. It is a great service of which is paid by Medicare. It also provides respite care of which is wonderful, in order to get a little breathing space to rejuvenate. It covers up to five days at a time in one of their nearby facilities, of which they will take care of your mother. All of respite services are coordinated through an appointed social worker.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more