Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Books that were recommended to me

The Social Worker, Tessa, at The Memory Center Clinic (Dept of Neurology) at the University of Chicago Medicine recommended these 2 books to me, at Ray's appt last Fri.

Have any of you checked these out? I read the reviews over at Amazon.com. I ordered these. I'm a retired dinosaur RN.

"Travelers to Unimaginable Lands" by Dasha Kiper

"Loving Someone Who Has Dementia" by Pauline Boss

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello, @DinosaurRN and welcome to the community. I recently read "Travelers to Unimaginable Lands" and found it very helpful. It explains the problems we have visiting "dementia land" and how much we want to see our LOs as they were, or at least in such a way as it makes sense to our brains. I would highly recommend it, and found myself looking back and rereading certain portions of it. I hope you find wisdom in it, too.

I have not read the other title, so I can't comment on that, but perhaps others will be able to.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I have read "Loving Someone Who Has Dementia" by Pauline Boss. It was a great book and gave me insight into what I was feeling. Definitely worthwhile.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I read both books and found them interesting. Pauline Boss's exploration of ambiguous grief helped me understand the devastating grief I was feeling as my DH slips away into his own world of dementia. She has written another book, "Ambiguous Loss: Learning to Live with Unresolved Grief" which is out of print but is available used. I haven't read it yet.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I started a thread called Books about Alzheimer's. You might want to post your recommendations also on that thread so more members can see it. It's on the General Caregiver Board.

Iris

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I read the Dasha Kiper book shortly after it came out and found it really helpful. It explained why it is so hard to "join them where they are," as we're often advised here. I should probably read it again!

• bayje
    bayje Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I like Remember, explains how the brain works and how we remember
  • Cwsovereign
    Cwsovereign Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    The 36 Hour Day - John Hopkins Press
  • Grandot
    Grandot Member Posts: 7
    First Comment First Anniversary

Another good practical book is Did I forget to Tell You? By Pam Johnson.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you can, please also post recommendations on the "Books about Alzheimer's " thread on the General Caregivers board. Then members will be able to find your selection more easily.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney