Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (197)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, I'm so sorry for your sorrow. Your cows are like pets, you name them and pamper them and know them well. I'm sad for you. A difficult day.

• Lorita

Thank you. Beth, we've always been close to our cows, walking among them and petting thrm. We've had a couple of huge Brangus bulls, weighing around 2200 lbs. We could walk up to them without hesitation and Jasper would give you sugar. Always had. very gentle cattle.

I jus t had a call from Todd. He was crying because Sarah seems worse. She can hardly open her eyes, i s not taking nourishment and there is no Urine output. She's had a catheter since she has been home. She doesn't seem to have a fever but she is sweating on her head and feels cold. I think he's going to get her back to the hospital. I think I'm right that she can go to hospital, be taken off hospice and then get back on when she goes home? She can only whisper a little bit. I'm afraid the end is getting c!ose. Prayers requested, please.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning.

Daughter and Granddaughter coming from Ohio today. DD has requested breaded and fried pork chops, potatoes, pinto beans and cornbread. Tomorrow is family pictures day and so the whole crew plus a friend and her husband/baby will be here. We'll have burgers, dogs, chicken tenders and the fixin's. Making potato salad, brownies, peach cobbler, got popsicles for the kids. Managed to get the housework done yesterday before going to pick up the boat (6 hours round trip). Already got all my meal prep out on the counter. DH did pintos in the crockpot so nothing to do there.

Lorita, I'm so sorry about Sarah and GL.

Mint, did you get all your corn and beans done?

HB, you sound like us with so many projects at once. DH has finally decided he needs an additional outdoor building so he is toying with buying/taking down a used one (which means days and days of work) vs having the company that built our barn do one for us. These projects never seem to end. But he is right, he needs a building to work in.

Ron, I'm thinking of you. Time with your family will be a good thing.

Beth, I've made a huge mistake with my north flower bed. I had set out some mint a couple years ago in what I THOUGHT was a safe way. Nope. I've got mint all thru the side and front now. It will be the devil the get that out. I'm waiting until fall. Too hot now. Rookie mistake. I do pull a bucket full every week to put in the hen house and yard.

Well, time to get busy. Have a good day everyone.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, praying 🙏 for Sarah!

Ron

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 19

Good Morning all slow day today nothing planned except a ZOOM for my exercise class.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita I'm certainly thinking about you today. Your heart is heavy, I know. You will miss GL, she was your listening buddy. If only you could get her back. And then the call about Sarah. Be kind to yourself.

Ron I think getting away is a good idea. Just a change of routine and some family time will be good. Windstar is a huge complex off I35. We went once just after it was opened just to say we've been!! They have lots of concerts there also.

Iris, how is your sleep? When I complained about not sleeping to my PCP many years ago he told me the first step is to not stay in bed more than 30 minutes if you can't sleep. I did that for several nights, get up and go to the study and sit in a chair to read for a bit then fall asleep. Thankfully I don't have that as an issue anymore. I know it can be frustrating.

I've got a Sam's order to pickup, Walmart order, and Sprouts! I'll be putting away groceries for awhile!

Be safe everyone.

• Lorita

Morning, thank you Ron. I just had a call from Todd. They have given Sarah IVs to hydrate her but the doctor told him her organs are shutting down, she is in the dying process. It could be today or several days Right now she i s aware of things and wants to come home to pass away.

He's trying to find papers he needs to get things in order and just can't think. We all know how that is. We always think there's time. I'm trying to keep him calm but it's hard to do without crying. I'm a mess anyway.

Darwin called and he said he thinks he had a light stroke a couple of days ago when he was cutting up limbs. Said he laid down in the shade for half an hour, then came home. Had a bad night so will stay in today, I hope.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear Lorita,

Prayers for Sarah that her trials will end peacefully and also for you as you deal with the loss of your GL. Here's hoping that GL has a good new home.

Marie

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Lorita, such sad news about Sarah and Gray Lady. Praying for you, Sarah and Todd xo

• Mint

Lorita i’m very sorry.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good morning!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita….you know my heart is with you

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, I'm praying for you, Sarah and Todd.

• Lorita

Thanks to all of you all for the prayers and kind words about Gray Lady. She is missed and I know she misses being at her home. She was born here and raised many calves during her time here. We heard the driveway alarm every time she went down to graze and we miss that. Every time the alarm would go off Stormy would run to the window and look out. I'd tell him it was Gray Lady going to graze and he would be okay. I have to hope and believe she's in a nearby green, lush pasture grazing with the rest of her friends and family. I'm sure she has a daughter or two in the herd.

I haven't heard anything from Todd since Sarah got home just after noon. I know he is busy and wants to spend every minute with her. Maybe he will find time to call later this evening. We knew the time would come but we're not ready. No one ever is. We thought we were going to lose her the end of December 2023 but she has been strong and has made it this long. Quality of life has not been good for her.

Again, thank you for your kind thoughts and words. It's so good to have such good friends who are always there when needed.

• Mint

good morning everyone

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning Porch People,

We got a really good rain yesterday. The DD and GD made it here safely and for that I am thankful. We're set today for picture taking, swimming if there isn't a storm, lots of good food and fellowship. I am most happy when all my girls are around.

Wishing you each a wonderful day. Lorita and Ron, you're in my prayers.

• Lorita

JeriLynn, glad you got some rain. Hope we get some today.Most of the pastures around here are eaten out so we need moisture. Sounds like you have a fun day planned. . Thanks for the prayers. I'm to the point I'm afraid almost to answer the phone.

Sandy, thank you for the call. It helped to sort of get my mind on other things. Ron, let us hear from you. We need to keep in touch with our friend.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning. What a specular morning it is outside. It's 84, that feels so good compared to the temps we've been having. Of course the temp will go up, but for this morning I'm enjoying 84.

Praying for you Lorita.

Be safe everyone.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Beautiful day went to IHOP for breakfast one of our favorite restaurants

• Mint

JeriLynn glad you and your family are able to be together.

Lorita I made a fresh peach cobbler in a cast-iron skillet this morning. I believe you’re the one that mentioned to me doing that. It turned out very nice. But then I froze the rest of my peaches. I think I had 5 pints if I remember right, that’s all I’m going to do. I’ve got so many strawberries and blueberries and blackberries. I guess I’ll be eating a lot of cobbler’s in Chris but that’s probably better than me eating chocolate all the time. I believe this might be when Ron is going to visit family. I could be wrong about that though too.

• Lorita
    edited July 20

Mint, we used to make cobblers, mostly.blackberry ones in the cast iron skillet, however now I use a round casserole dish. I think the Iron skillet gave an odd taste to the cobbler if we let it stay in it. After it wss baked a while I put it in a different dish. If you have a ceramic !uber cast iron skillet, it would be fine. Maybe it was just me imagining the taste orbthe acidity of the berries. . Try it and see what you think. Really sounds good. This weekend is the Porter Peach Festival in Oklahoma. Their peaches are really delicious and they had a good crop this year. Just think how good your peaches will be this winter. Just happened to think the cobblers we made were quick cobbler the crust was a batter. If you made the crust, it might be different.

• Mint

Lorita I made the quick cobbler and after lunch I put it into a glass bowl to store it. I prefer cobbler mom and grandma used to make when I was a child but I don’t know how to make it.

hope you’re doing OK today.

• Lorita

Mint, when I was growing up mother and grandma made cobblers with a top and bottom crust of pie dough. I like them better, too, but also like the quick ones.

Sarah made it through the night but Todd says shes not in reality. She has smoked and is talking about putting out a cigarette when there isn't one. Says he can hardly understand what she says. Told him to call if there is a change or if he needed to talk. I know how he must feel. I'm okay, just worried and there's nothing I can do.

• jfkoc

No one brought donuts…I will try again tomorrow.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, holding you close in my prayers!

Son had to work today but is coming after me in the morning. Told him I could drive and if started getting teared up, I would just pull over for awhile. He said no since me driving he would enjoy the drive here and back to Texas. Been so long since I've been anywhere without Lou I'm just lost right now.

Ron

• jfkoc

Ron…you will be "Fine".

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia