Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello, I just took an on line took a test from the Dementia Society of America and on a scale of 1 to 8(being the best),I scored a 5 ( and my wife took it also and got an 8 ).

I have noticed the last couple of days (i just can't explain it) I just feel blah. I've noticed and my. wife also has seen it I have a slight tremor in my right hand.

I wonder if this part of Dementia.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dabid, my mother had alz and her hands shook a lot. I could put my hand over hers and the shaking would stop but restarted after I moved my hand. Charles had vascular dementia but I didn't notice tremors. My hands shake a little sometimes, too. Probably nothing to worry about.

I still feel weak. Walked out to the corral to fill the water tank, then drove to the mailbox. When I got back in the house I was worn out. Need to start walking but hard to do with my knee hurting. Guess it really is "use it or lose it".

Just saw a huge load of big, round bales of hay on the road. I know they're baling North and West of us. Gotta make hay when the sun shines.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

getting close to "all better"

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Judith, keep healing!

David, many older adults can develop a tremor, it may or may not be connected to dementia.

Lorita, my cat Sammie weighs at least 16 pounds, perhaps more, I can't lift him with one hand.

My toe does feel better after wearing those sandals. I rarely wear sandals because I always wear custom orthotic for plantar fasciitis.

I had trouble walking because of my right knee, but I began walking short distances and doing knee exercises and warm-up before walking. I can walk longer now, without stopping.

The other problem I had was being very short of breath when walking. The shortness of breath is improved now, also. It's not gone completely, but it is lessened.

We are supposed to be in a heat wave, it was hot yesterday.

Iris

• Lorita

Glad you're improving, Judith. Keep going.

That's what I need to do, Iris. Slow and easy, I guess.

A few days ago FedEx delivered a big box , 33 lbs. Of canned dog food. Got it inside the LR and the cats have been laying on it. This morning I decided I had to get it into the utility room, so opened it and got the two cases on that roller basket both Sandy and I have and got it to the utility room. No sooner was that big box opened and empty that two cats got inside. They do love boxes. . They're fussing now. Iris, I can't lift Sammy easily either. It was hard to get him weighed.

I wear socks, summer and winter with Dawgs mostly. I had plantar fasciitis once and it was very painful. My Morton's is beginning to affect my balance and walking now..

Stormy has loose stools sometimes so am changing their food to Science Diet for sensitive stomachs. Sure hope it works. He seems okay but I know the loose stools are not normal. This food is really expensive but they are my family now. Back later.

• jfkoc

Lorita …it is very likely that your socks and shoes are the cause of the chronic Morton's since the cause is usually pressure..even a little pressure.

Does anyone else remember having something new to wear on the first day of school? What wereyou looking forward to studying?

• Iris L.
    edited September 5

I heard that pumpkin is good for constipation in dogs and cats, I don't know about diarrhea. I have purchased pumpkin in a packet for Simon, he doesn't seem to care for the taste. I have been adding chia seeds to his food, because they do help me with regularity. It can be hard feeding animals.

Temp is 92 degrees now.

Iris

• Lorita

Judith, neither socks or shoes are tight . I remember the first symptoms - a feeling I had a rock in my shoe. I wore heels to and from work and to the canteen but wore what we called pixies in the office. Now I can feel two little nodules on the bottom of the right foot and one on the left. Has something to do with nerves in the feet. I was told shots, probably cortisone, would help at the beginning but now? Should have started them at the first.

Iris, it is a job taking care of animals, of all kinds but well worth it.

I don't really remember much about first days of school. Now they talk about how much it costs to get each kid ready. Back when I was going to school it was a pencil, Big Chief tablet and a box of crayons, maybe a new dress or two. I always liked math.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,670
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

ttt

• Lorita

Mint, how are you today? Also, how is J?

Getting read to watch the Chiefs at Arrowhead in KC. Brings back so many memories of the times we were there to watch them.

• Mint

im doing ok Lorita and hope you are too.

J has been doing ok. She started soeech therapy this week. Hope it helps. She gets so frustrated when she can’t say what she wants to say.

you know a little over 2 weeks ago my mom had her bowel incontinence. We did get her clothes clean. Thanks again for all your help. Since then she has had neither urine or bowel incontinence. We never expected that but Im thankful for the help.

Good night Lorita

Hope every one is able to get good rest

• Lorita

Glad your mother has gotten over the incontinence.Makes it easier for you and your sister. I know J must get frustrated and hope the therapist can help. Hope you can sleep well. Good night.

• Iris L.

I talked to a vet on the radio this evening. She recommended Metamucil to help Simon with his pooping. I'll get some tomorrow.

It was so hot today, even for me. We reached a high of 98 degrees. Right now I'm wearing a cooling towel that I had purchased early in the summer, but it wasn't that hot before. It's helping a little bit, but not much.

Good night all.

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Good morning!

• Lorita

Morning, just got up so must have slept well. The TV was already on when I came into the LR. I thought had it turned off last night at MN. Guess the cats wanted to watch. Hope everyone is well this morning.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning all. Beautiful start of the day here, it almost feels like fall is in the air.

Who stayed up and watched the Chief's win? Don't you know the new phrase is going to be 'by a toe.' I had a hard time settling down for bed afterwards.

I give my puppy pumpkin with every meal. I just put it on top of her food. It's very good for dogs.

I'm facilitating a meeting so I'd better get showered and dressed! This is a last minute commitment helping someone out. Back later.

eagle

• jfkoc

here…

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 6

I had to wear a uniform because I went to a Catholic High School and I liked all my classes except Latin which I had to take because I was thinking of becoming a priest. After high school I did enter the seminary and after 2 years I decided it was not for me and eventually joined the Navy and eventually got married to my first and she died after 40 years and I joined the Senior Center and met my second wife,who was also a widow now we have been married 6 years. I do not think that I would be alive if it was not my wife as she is my caretaker and helping me with my Dementia.

• jfkoc

Back from routine Drs appt.

David…I studied Latin. . I think that it still comes in handy. My teachers name was Miss Joiner and she had a sense of humor. I also studied French and remember a little. I can say Bon jour well enough that French is spoken back to me. At that point I am exposed…lol

Cooler today…yea!

• Iris L.

Good morning! I slept almost 8 hours without having to get up!

I remember getting new clothes for the first day of school, also new notebooks and BIC pens. Nowadays, student work on Chrome books here. I don't know what grade that computers are introduced.

I never studied Latin but I became fluent in French. Now I have a hard time remembering, but I keep trying, to help my memory.

Iris

• Lorita

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Lorita

No idea what happened. I stayed up, Eagle. Really a nail biter and good game. Poor Raven, bet he wishes his feet were shorter. I also like the Ravens so rooted for both teams but guess I will stick with the Chiefs and wear my Ravens c.ap. Surely were a lot of people there, upwards of 75,000-80,000. Surprising that you really don't feel.crowded and it empties out quickly. Beautiful field.

d

• Mint

my mom got us some new clothes for school. My favorite subject, math always.

Looks like we are going to have fall the next two days.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Mint, it's been breezy and cool here all day. I think we are sending the fall weather your way!

My favorite subjects were social studies and English. I also liked "Office Practice" where we learned to type on manual typewriters and do shorthand.

• Iris L.

Mint and Beth, we are still in summer, a very hot summer. It reached 109 degrees where I am, and I'm by the coast. We didn't get any coastal breezes today! 115-120 degrees further inland! I've been on my balcony all day. It's finally down to 94 degrees, at almost 7 pm. I just felt a breeze!

Iris

• Lorita
    edited September 7

I heard on the news today that this year has been the hottest year on record, all over the world. Hundreds of people have died from the heat. And. It will only get worse if the Countries don't work together to try to reverse climate change, if it isn't too late.

I know this summer has been one of the worst I can remember. It's really scary. Just imagine how hot it will be in 30 years. People may have to go underground to survive. Climate change is a real thing . So many animal Species are nearing extinction because of it.

You know, Iris, if we who live in the country away from concrete and are still so hot I can not imagine how it must be in the cities. I hope it cools off soon.

Hope everyone sleeps well. Good night.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris do you not have air conditioning? If that's the case, could the heat be bothering the Simon and he's not drinking enough water? Just a thought that rambled through my brain.

Be careful out and about everyone, I know several who have Covid. All are pretty sick. Ugh. We don't need anyone getting sick.

Nite

• Iris L.

Eaglemom, I keep a close eye on Simon. I add water to his food so it is like soup or stew. Plus he drinks from the water bowl. Nevertheless, he is slowing down.

No, I don't have AC. That's why I stayed out on the balcony. But it's cool now, 77 degrees.

Lorita, California Is always hot in September and October. The earth heats up, the earth cools down. The record high temp for Death Valley CA was 134 degrees, back in 1913, before there were cars or much electricity. There are many weather-tourists at Death Valley now, wanting to be present if a new record high is reached.

I'm turning in now. Good night, everyone!

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia