Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Aussie friends, Barbara, hope you're well and writing more good books. Sandy,you are indeed a world traveler. I can't imagine seeing all those wonderful places but bet it's good to be home. We need pictures! Glad you are able to post agsin.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Everyone! Beth, where did you move to? The sunsets are really nice.

Jo C, when I was so, so tired from lupus, I only bedrest helped me. After a while, I was able to have little bits of energy. Also, make sure you are not anemic, because inflammatory diseases cause anemia. You might need some packed red cells. Enjoy your visit with your daughter. Is she close to a Buckees? Where I live we have not had Trick or Treaters in years, and I'm glad about that. I don't like strangers showing up at my door. I turn my lights off and I go to the bedroom where no one can see me.

David, I'm glad you enjoyed your Elvis impersonator. I saw a good one also last year.

Lorita, do you know how in a scary movie they will show a face that devolves into a monster face? Well, this is what I have been seeing lately as I am trying to fall asleep. I keep seeing horrible faces and other horrible images devolving from normal images. It's been happening about the same time as I began my new medication. I hope this is a coincidence, and not a side effect. I'll have to look into this.

Sandy, how nice that your new hubby wants to show you the world. Does he have a single brother? I'm not kidding.

Littleme, my travel club is offering a trip to Australia and New Zealand in 2026. I'm thinking about it.

I had great news today! I had a visit with my neurologist whom I began consulting in 2008. He gave me a diagnosis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified and started me on Exelon patch. Today, after years of cognitive tests and MRIs and PET scans and cognitive blood tests, he changed my diagnosis. He declared I have no evidence of a degenerative brain disorder. He changed my diagnosis to adult attention deficit. This was quite a welcome surprise for me! My latest cognitive tests were all in the normal range, although my working memory was somewhat low, but still within normal. Hallelujah! I am so happy!

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

What a nice surprise this morning to see you in your rocking chair Sandymac. Glad you are doing ok. Good yo see you too Littleme.

Hope everyone is doing ok, has been quiet on here a couple of days it seems.
    Sorry Lorita I don't know anything about those types of medications.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Wonderful new Iris!

So very glad that you and your doctor have stuck with it to get the improved outlook.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning all.

Iris that is such wonderful news. I bet you felt the weight of the world left your shoulders with the new diagnosis.

Lorita I certainly don't know anything about any type of medication like that. I will dig around in some info that I have for you though.

Beautiful day day, I need to get outside to make the best of it before it gets too hot. Be safe everyone.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

Iris, that is such wonderful news for you. It made my day.

It's a lovely day here. Sunny, warm and breezy. We're supposed to meet friends for dinner if I can get my residual cough under control.

It's been a roughish week. The hurricane aftermath pictures are difficult. I have a little PTSD from a couple of floods— once when I was evacuated with my son when he was 5 months old which was harrowing and later when our home was destroyed. Those poor people. I lost stuff— mostly replaceable. Some of these folks have lost loved ones in the context of a community that has been wiped out in the same event. I can't imagine.

I've had a nasty cold the beginning of the week. No flu or COVID— just a miserable cold. I had to take mom to her post-op appointment, so we masked up and opened the windows, but somehow she still got sick. I took her to the grocery story while I waited outside, so maybe she picked it up there. Who knows?

I met up with my niece in the city for haircuts and happy hour. It was nice, I don't get to see her often enough because she's so busy. She filled me in on her trip with mom to MA. She noted a lot of what I am seeing and fully supports the next steps with the memory center when they call back. I would have gone forward anyway, but having some consensus is reassuring. She did complain about me packing for her, lol. It seems she thought I'd forgotten to pack 2 tops she asked for— they were dark-colored and on the bottom of the bag so she didn't see them. Poor thing.

Niece's oldest and dearest friend (they met in dance class when they were 3) was recently treated for triple-negative breast cancer and it seems to have spread. This is very sad and ominous news. Another friend of hers died last month after a fall that left her in a coma for months. Facebook sent me a memory this morning from 10 years ago when we participated in a walk to benefit one of her late boyfriends' pet charities. That was such a sad time. These are/were such young people. Niece's wedding anniversary is this week, so she and her DH are headed to a resort in the Caribbean for the week.

HB

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning , we just went out for a wonderful breakfast my wife had fresh peach pancakes and I had banana spot pancakes.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

here….

• Lorita

Iris, what wonderful news!! I bet you're on cloud nine.

Darwin's cell phone is not working right so I went over last night when I could not hear him when he called. He could hear me but I could not hear him. Talked to two of his daughters and a neighbor so they would know. He bought. a new phone and one of them will transfer numbers, etc. I just got back from his house and we have it worked so I will know if he needs me.

Sorry about your cold, HB, and your mom's. Get well soon.

Eagle, it's supposed to be about mid 90s today and cooler Monday.

• Iris L.

I'm glad not to have a cognitive impairment diagnosis, but I have had significant memory loss, more than I believe is associated with adult ADD. I still have memory loss, but apparently it's not too abnormal. I know that Best Practices has been helping me.

Lorita, I hope Darwin did not have his phone on mute so that you could not hear him.

HB I hope you are resting and recovering from your cold. When I have a cold, I cannot do anything. But I have lupus, so that probably affects my virus-fighting abilities.

Iris

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

A quick note. We are in Iowa, only about 11 miles from where we were before. The town has around 8000 population. Still no wi fi or tv hooked up. They schedule about 2 weeks out. Went to grandson’s soccer game today. Bus tour to “Bridges of Madison County” Thursday. That was fun.

• David1946

Iris L,This the third time that we have seen him . He said that he hopes to be in the area for Christmas and I hope he does return to the area an d we will see him again

• Mint
    edited October 5

Good evening

Nice to see all of you.

Iris glad you were blessed with some good news.

HB hope you feel a little better this evening.

Lorita I am so glad you and Darwin can help each other.

Has been a pretty day here. Got to bake a little today, had been awhile. Made apple muffins.

• Lorita

Beth, I bet the tour of the bridges was. Interesting. I loved that movie. Irus, we tried tgst. One if his daughters came today and took the phone to a bugger town to be fuxed. They found liquid had gotten inside and melted the battery. Now the problem is that he can increase the volume. He can hear, barely. Wears a hearing aid he has to take out to use the phone. Another will be there in a day or two who can check it out. Told him how I increase volume on mine but it didn't work. At least he can communicate now.

I need to lay some new tiles(about 20) in the kitchen. Finally found where I had put them. That's for tomorrow.

I was just thinking that it's been over two months since we lost Sarah. Hard to believe, time goes so fast.

Getting hungry so I better find a bite to eat. Down 35.4'lbs. With about ten to go. I can wear things I wore ten years ago. Hate to donate those things.

• Lorita

Good night, Everyone. Sleep tight.

• Lorita

You all won't believe this, or maybe you will with the luck I've been having. There's no water in the shower and it's leaking around the kitchen faucet. So, maybe Jerry , the handyman who is coming next week for something else can fix it. If not, another plumbing bill. So, that's my sad story. Think I'll go to bed.

• Iris L.

Oh, no, Lorita! If it's not one thing, it's another! Rest up!

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

Lorita hope the guy coming can help you

• Lorita
    Morning. Thanks,guys. Seems like if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. That's what they always said on Hee Haw. I'll. be okay. Enjoy your Sunday.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning and Happy Sunday,

My daughter and her family are on the way home from Disney and the beach. The other daughter is in Biloxi, MS for work, so she's flying home to Ohio tomorrow, Prayers for safe travels.

So this afternoon, we will be a houseguest and dog free home again. It will be good to spend the next week cleaning and getting ready for fall/winter.

Have a good day everyone.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Back from having coffee and a business meeting with my daughter. I must constantly remind myself to be grateful that Dick left me without financial worries but taking care of finances left me with a lot of learning to do….

Big chore today…washing whites and trying a dryer sheet to see if it "softens" things. I have been using dryer balls but my towels are stiff. I will report on this later…lol

Lorita…can use get to your water meter to check to see if it is running when every thing is turned off?

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My goodness Lorita, you are having a difficult time with water at your place. It doesn't even make sense to me that the shower doesn't have water. You have water everywhere else? This has puzzled.

It's back to being warm here. Mid 90's every day, its just getting old!! But I certainly don't want to complain, we have a house and an air conditioner - two things so many in our country don't have right now. The damages from the hurricane are simply unbelievable. So many people affected and now another hurricane is heading for the Florida coast.

I have paperwork to catchup on, be safe everyone.

• Lorita

The faucet only leaks around it when I turn on the water. May need to be tightened or a new one. When they fixed the water leak it go t dirt in the water line. Cold water in the bathroom sink didn't work and when he flushed it, a lot if dirt or mud came out. So that's probably what's wrong with the shower. I hope Jerry can fix it.

I ordered a few things from WM yesterday and it said it would be delivered from Oct.8-12. I just got them! WM, really a third party company ,will deliver out this far!! I talked to the girl who brought the things. Asking about frozen things. WM gets the order ready, calls them and they pick it up and bring it right out. I will try that this week. How nice that will be in the winter. No charge if you order in the morning to be delivered from 2-4 p.m. that day. She said she had delivered several times in our area already.

Just turned on a football game from California and it is 95 out there. It's 89 here.

Just finished putting down the kitchen tiles. Not the whole floor, just replacing worn out ones.We laid those 25 years ago. Found the same tile at WM. They're stick on so easy to do. Judith, managing everything is a job. I don't have as much of that since I sold the girls and leased but I still keep watch on them and worry. I am a worrier ,-Did you all know that?

I need to take a nap. Got the trash ready to take down and,of course got one sack too heavy.

• Iris L.

Judith, I use dryer balls and I'm satisfied with them. For my blouses I use the dryer sheets that are supposed to remove pet hair. I just purchased laundry sheets. I liked the results of the one load that I have used.

Iris

• Lorita
    edited October 7

I use washer balls and those flat things in the dryer that attracts hair and fuzz. We talked about them a while back. Saw them on Shark Tank. You get a set of two, blue and yelliw. I haven't used a dryer sheet in years. I have those two big white ?Pyrenees and never have hair on clothes I dry. May go to bed early, lifted or bent too much and my side hurts. Good night. Found them on Amazon - Fur Zappers, $12.99. No hair and towels and clothes are soft.

• Iris L.

Lorita, I have those fur-catcher things to use on the washer too, but I haven't used them yet.

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

My 12-hour cough syrup only lasted until about 4am, so it's another early start to the day. Ugh. My lack of sleep is leaving me feeling like a real slug of late. My major accomplishment yesterday was organizing my first aid kits. DH stubbed his toe on the leg of the desk in his library and ripped the skin which triggered me digging around for just the right stuff. The big box was like some kind of time capsule— Bactine that expired in 2003, bandages from Eckhard Drugs which was taken over by Thrift in the last century. Yikes. I have a tidy box upstairs, refilled my kitchen stash for cooking injuries, and made smaller kids for my purse and car.

I got this done just in time, DS sent me a picture of his hand which he got caught in a trap (that's the floor piece that covers the steps in a passenger car vestibule if boarding is done from a platform. He's going to need a tetanus shot today. He said the other trainman said the same. Evidently this man "was a doctor". This should be an interesting story. I figure he can hit CVS between classes.

Lorita— I'm sorry to hear of your continuing plumbing woes. I wonder if your shower head got clogged— they can clog up pretty easily. I've sometimes removed the head and soaked it in distilled vinegar for a bit which does the trick.

About Darwin's wife, does she take any medications? SSRIs like Zoloft, Prozac and Lexapro can cause very vivid dreams and nightmares. If she's been prescribed one of these medications, that could be part of the problem. He'd want to discuss with her doctor as stopping a SSRI cold turkey can be dangerous.

Beth— That sounds like a fun tour. We have about a dozen covered bridges in our county. The nearest on is 2 miles away in a park, but a number of them as still used as bridges. It's always a treat when I find myself detouring, aka lost, on some back road and find one.

Jerilynn— Enjoy your empty nest for the moment.

Judith— If your towels are stiff, it's likely you're using too much detergent. It was a hard habit for me to break— I'm a "if less is good, more is better" kind of person— but using just a couple Tbs of detergent is best. But first, I had to get all the residue out of them. I did several washings with baking soda for the wash and a cup of distilled vinegar for the rinse. You shouldn't use fabric softener of any kind on towels. Some folks go so far as to strip their linens by soaking in hot water with a mix of 1 part borax, 1 part washing soda and 1 part detergent for a couple hours. Wring out and run them through a cycle in the washer without detergent.

I use dryer balls almost exclusively these days when I can find them. I like fabric soften for my clothes, but DH and DS have such reactive skin, I'd never get out of the laundry room.

HB

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning.

I've been up since 3:30 am and have begun the cleaning frenzy. Two small bedrooms down with dusting ceiling to floor, furniture, and window washing. There is dog hair EVERYWHERE. Now I'm sneezing and snorting but I plan to soldier on and get two more rooms and one closet done.

I cooked this weekend in anticipation of the need to clean. And good thing since we had unexpected family guests for dinner last night. But, we have chicken marsala, spaghetti and meatballs, sweet potatoes, potato salad, sandwich meat and other veggies, so I don't plan to cook anything for a couple of days.

HB, I hear you on the sensitive skin issues. DH is about to undergo allergy testing this month. Without any noticeable provocation, he breaks out in hives all over. Another allergist told him just to take Allegra 3 times a day as they might never know what is causing this. Well, not if you don't test him we won't. We'll see.

Lorita and Judith, HB gave good advice on both issues.

Iris, take the trip!

OK, back to cleaning for me………

• David1946

Good morning on the way to the grocery store.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more