Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good afternoon all.

Yes, the Dallas area is crazy with the Red River Rivalry. I predict with the later start time, and the 95+ temp more alcohol will be consumed and thus more ridiculousness will happen. They have firetruck placed where they can spray the crowds down, if needed. I'm betting it will be needed. Also more police are on hand, which clearly will be needed. I'll have it on, such great people watching.

Reading about blueberry muffins, I have a dog blueberry muffin recipe that I need to make. It is perfectly fine for human consumption, but was developed for dogs. All natural(ish) ingredients. I will say our dog absolutely loves them.

We changed the bulbs in six spot lights this morning in the backyard. I hope airplanes don't mistake our lights for DFW airport! Goodness, I knew the old ones were dull, but this is amazing.

Need to unload the dishwasher while DH is busy in the other room. He loves to help, but he put things all over the place. I love his heart, for wanting to help. I save the utensils and plastic bowls for him to put away.

Be safe everyone. Back later, after some football.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Eagle, the game has to get better for the Sooners. Time for them to straighten up.

• Lorita

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Front Porch Friends.

I'm still here just have been really busy since I moved to Arizona.

I plan on trying to get caught up on the 234 post I have missed.

I think of you guys often. When my life settles down a bit, I hope to keep caught up with all of you.

Right now, I am recovering after having the rest of my teeth pulled, I only had 8 left and I planned on keeping them. I went to my new dentist last Friday and he told me it was time to get them out there was infection settling in. I went into his office Wednesday and had them all pulled, and surgery done on my gums and bone to get my mouth ready for dentures, I had post put in for the teeth to go on. I will be on a liquid diet for 3 months. This is the 3rd day Iam in no pain just discomfort. Iam getting ready to take some ibuprofen now and go to bed. Good night.

Hugs to all, Zetta

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

David I didn’t know that. Hope things go smoothly for you. We still hope to see you in your rocking chair, know our porch reaches there too.

I have been watching aYT channel Mark Huneycutt. He has done some very interesting videos. His last one is of him paragliding over Chimney Rock, NC. Felt it was very well done. Before Helene he had his own business involving paragliding. His first video I saw i liked and thought i will subscribe to help him out. His home and business were impacted some by the flood. Don’t remember how many subscribers he had at that time but this morning he had 150000. Know he had nowhere near that when I first found him. I watch for his videos because they are very well done and informative i think.

Lady Zetta i had been thinking about you for awhile. Glad you checked in. Yes you have been through a lot.. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Think your new dentist gave you very good advice. Will be much better for your health.

Caro_Lynne thinking of you this morning. My cousin in Tampa got her electric back on around 5:30 yesterday evening

i e

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning. Still cleaning.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

It's been quintessential fall weather this week. Cook enough for a light jacket and the down comforter but not cold enough to turn on the heat. The leaves are changing; this area has some great leaf-peeping available. DH and I will probably take a drive along the Delaware one afternoon next week as he is very into leafing.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Sandy. We missed the show. DH went to bed right after dinner as he was feeling a little beat up from his combination Tdap and RSV vaccines earlier in the day.

Speaking of vaccines, I had a similar experience with the combination of Fluad and Novavax. FWIW, I never felt poorly after the standard flu vaccine, just the senior version. It's annoying given how relatively ineffective the flu vaccine is most years.

Lorita, I would ignore information about vaccines that come 3rd hand and listen to your own PCP. It could be this person's dad has a reason to delay/avoid the vaccine that doesn't apply to you— it could be something as simple as a recent COVID infection. I'm glad you're enjoying same-day delivery.

David, I hope the move is a smooth one for you. I loved the local Veterans Home when I toured; the atmosphere was so friendly and busy.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The oral surgeon cleared me for a crown on my implant, so now I wait for him to send a letter to my dentist and their office to schedule me. I cannot wait to be rid of my Essix aligner. It's almost a year I have been dealing with this tooth and am ready to be done.

Mom's cold and cough drag on. DS and I are still coughing, too. She called me in mid-meltdown yesterday over a stupid bed she wants. A longtime friend of hers has had to give up her massive mahogany tobacco bed because of its height. She and mom have bedroom furniture from the same design line. Mom has always loved the bed and offered to buy it from her; when my parents bought their set my "el cheapo" dad refused to spring for the more impressive bed which always bothered her. I do not want to get involved in this dog'n'pony show and suggested mom hire either a moving company or hire a team through Dolly. I priced it out for her, and she turned up her nose at the price. I tapped out and told her she needed to leave me out of it if she wasn't going to do what I considered reasonable.

Her friend lives over an hour away in a small condo and would like the bed gone. Mom hatched a plan with my sketchy niece whose sketchy boyfriend agreed to move it for her. Yesterday was meant to be the day. Thursday mom's friend was transported to the ER and admitted so she won't be home for someone to collect the bed. Mom's asking me how much an Uber would be. As if I would know. Her plan is to take an Uber to her friend's house and ask friend's daughter to meet her there and let the boyfriend in. I told her she had to reschedule, and she wasn't happy with me. FTR, her friend's daughter works fulltime and is caregiver to her 90-year-old mother and a DH with severe MS. I'm sure she missed some work the day prior given the ER trip— I explained this to mom. The striking thing about this was the utter, and uncharacteristic, lack of empathy on her part. She didn't even know why her friend was hospitalized and dismissively told me it was probably a panic attack and zippo concern for the daughter's inconvenience.

I stopped by her house for a visit after snapping at her. I reminded her she wasn't some 20-something whose friends will be willing to move them in exchange for pizza and beer. She told me she and I could put the bed together. Yeah, no. I brought her a milk shake and flash drive with her family tree project on it. She was pretty wifty, scrolling through and complaining about "missing" individuals. They were included but she scanned over them. We talked a bit, the word-finding and disjointed topics continue, and I've noticed a couple incidents where she's glaringly mis-recalled events.

On one hand I can't wait for the memory center to get an appointment scheduled, but on the other I dread taking her there. She reports that she's no longer worries about her memory and that's she's fine now. Gah.

————————————————————————————————————————-

I hope all have a pleasant day.

HB

• eaglemom

Lorita that game was so one sided. I'm hearing the OU alumni are wanting the coach out, now. I can't see that will happening, but alumni carry a lot of weight ($$$) so who knows.

Our Chief's are off today, so that's a bummer. Lots of other football to watch though.

Of course lots of things I could / should be doing instead of watching football. Since the tree trimmers did such a wonderful job, I now need to do windows. I don't hate much, but window cleaning is one thing. no matter what I use, or how I clean them the window always looks like three blind monkey's with muddy hands tried cleaning them! It's just not my skill set.

Need to get busy, not cleaning windows. Be safe everyone.

• Mint

JeriLynn don't work too hard

Fall is nosing around here too. Suppose to be quite cooler Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Having the same experience with FluAd HB. Actually don't think it was quite as bad as last year. Your mom is having it rough. Making it very challenging for you.

HB I have to ask what is a tobacco bed? I was born in Kentucky. Tobacco bed had a whole different meaning there lol. Tried googling it and saw pictures but still didn't understand and could find no explanation. The only explanations I could find were for the tobacco beds I am familiar with😊

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I googled too and found a lot of beds…all different.

• Lorita

Morning, warm and windy here. The driveway alarm keeps going off and is driving me nuts! The flagpole and flag are across from it and when it moves the alarm goes off. Guess I will have to unplug it or to outside.

Eagle, the Sooners were really off for sure. I think they needed to change QBs. I think Arnold is a QB so no idea why he didn't go in, maybe he is injured. Hadn't heard that about the coach. I liked Bob Stoops.

I unplugged it. It was unplug it or lose what sanity I have. Hope it works when I plug it back in.

Mint, is this senior flu vaccine different than the one last year? I think I only n had a sore arm for a day or two. I do remember I out ice on it when I got home. Why do they call them tobacco beds? The color? I think they are lovely.

Eagle, guess I'll watch the Buccaneers because of Baker Mayfield.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 14

MIBT, I will know more in November after someone contacts me and sees what kind of help I may need once i am admitted . I will doe my best to keep on posting.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Thank you Mint, Lorita, Ron and all porchers. Please know I try to keep up with all the posts and if I do not post it is because I do not want to always be posting negative, sad things. I know God will see me through this most difficult time in my life. Love to all xo

• Lorita

CaroLynn,when you're feeling like that is when you need to post so we can help you feel better. We've either been there or are there now so we know how it is. Someone uses is always here when you need to talk.

Eagle ,the game I watched today was really good. High scoring and fun to watch. Buccaneers won.

• eaglemom

Oct 13th and it was 100 degrees. Ugh. I'd planned on smoking some steaks, but not at this temp. Come on fall.

• Mint

Good morning

• JeriLynn66

" I now need to do windows. I don't hate much, but window cleaning is one thing. no matter what I use, or how I clean them the window always looks like three blind monkey's with muddy hands tried cleaning them!"

Eagle that made me laugh … I've done the living room windows inside and out and now just see all the spots I missed! Slowly making my way thru the house. Lots going on around here so my cleaning gets put on the back burner some days.

HB, I'm thinking about you and your Mom. I feel the dread in your "voice" here. Praying for you both.

And for you Caro Lynne. Whatever you need to say or feel we'll be right here to listen and care. ❤️

David, know you must be anxious to hear good news.

We had to round up and separate some goats yesterday. One of the Nannies won't let two of the babies eat (not her babies) and Jackson the BiG billy goat is ramming his son. Knocked that baby for two flips! Herding cats must be easier than goats. But Jackson is a sucker for a spoon of peanut butter. I can only imagine what folks driving by our place think; "Look, the crazy Lady is out in that pasture with a peanut butter jar and spoon in her hand with dogs and goats following her!". Yes, that's me.

It's supposed to cool down here this week. No rain. It's very dry. People are asking me to make Brunswick Stew. But it's still too hot! I've got to finish this house so I can get in the flower beds when it cools off. They are also a mess.

DH is up so I'll go watch the morning news with him before he heads to the back pasture to do more fencing. Have a good day. I'll BBL.

• harshedbuzz

Caro-lynn— unless sharing makes you feel worse, please don't worry about posting anything. It's the nature of this experience that to have times of frustration and profound despair.

The tobacco bed is a heavy colonial style poster bed. The posters are carved with a pretty tobacco-leaf pattern in an homage to its value as a crop. Pineapples are another common motif carved into these kinds of beds.

Mom took a turn for the worse overnight Saturday. She looked sicker than I've seen her in a good 5 years. Her O2 dropped into the low 90s even with focused breathing and she was really weak. I took her to the ER where her pulmo practices as opposed to the crazy place where her PCP and cardiologist practice. It was blessedly empty and she was being triaged by the time I parked the car. From there we were taken directly back. She's developed pneumonia (not her first rodeo) and it looks like her CHF has worsened. Her O2 got into the upper 70s on oxygen, so they did a couple of nebulizer treatments and admitted her. I need to grab a shower and go check on her; DS is on cat-duty. I don't see any tests posted overnight, so I assume she's doing OK for now.

HB

• David1946

JeriLynn 66, you're right I'm am very anxious about what's about what's to come. It abig step but it's the right step because I can see what it's doing to my wife she is my main means of transportation she takes me to my Dr appointments any where else I may need to go. Sometimes I feel like I'm a burden but my wife says its no burden.

• Mint

HB sorry to hear about your mom. Hope her oxygenation is improving. That is interesting about the tobacco bed.

David you amaze me, I’m sorry. 🙏🏻

• David1946

Thank you, as I said I will let you know what happens

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hb please keep posted about y our mother

Jerilynn…the same for the goats

David…every journey if different…My husband and I managed pretty well until his last few months and then only the las month was honestly bad. Please be certain that if you do decide to move to a facility that the staff is well trained, OK?

• David1946

Jfkoc, thank you for your concern. My family went with me and wife to visit the Veterans Home and the building is start of the art it has floor to ceiling windows and each veteran has his own room with his own bathroom. And everyone we met was extremely nice and there are supposedly i employee to every 2 veterans.

• Lorita
    edited October 14

Hi, just realized I haven't posted today. It's cool here, even chilly in the house,

HB, hope your mom improves soon. Pretty low oxygen level so hope it gets better.

David, I know you'll enjoy the veteran's home. So much camaraderie with everyone being veterans.

JeriLynn, hope you got those goats separated. Guess everyone likes peanut butter.

I received the aerator for my new faucet and got it put on. Worked on the driveway alarm but not sure it works. I can't test it until someone drives through the gate.The receiver is in the house and I could hear it going off as I took the detector out but not far enough.

Hope everyone is okay or feeling better.

• David1946

Lorita, that is what I'm hoping for after a couple of days I will feel like I've always been there

• Mint

Good morning everyone

• harshedbuzz

Good morning. I'm up early to get some laundry squared away before heading over to check on mom.

She looked awful yesterday when I got there. Color was bad and her tremor was really apparent. I spoke with her nurse and it turns out she hadn't gotten her am and pm doses of Mucinex. I did bring it. I did hand it off to the admitting nurse and double checked that it is on her list of medications. Getting it on the list has been a challenge as they can be pretty breezy about OTC meds. I got the nurse to give her the prescribed amount 1200 mg, not 400mg as often happens. The improvement was, dare I say it, dramatic. Even the nurse commented on how much better she was doing an hour later and commented that she'd alert the night person about giving it.

I need to bring her some tissues. The ones they gave her are about the size of cocktail napkins and rough— they are clearly not up to the job.

I hope all have a pleasant day.
    HB

• JeriLynn66

Good Morning.. 60s predicted today with frost Thursday. Wind is gusty @ 20mph today. More fencing and house cleaning today. Cotton picking has begun.

Made a pot of pinto beans yesterday with a skillet of fried potatoes onions peppers and smoked sausage. Cornbread and then banana bread with some ice cream for dessert. Today is chicken salad.

Thinking of you and your Mom HB.

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Good morning all,

II too would encourage everyone yo share their feelings and know "you're not ranting". Sometimes I think it because we spend so much time caring & thinking of our LO we begin to discount our own needs. We hear you and understand 💞. I hope everyone has a good day.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

HB thinking of and praying for you mom.

Good morning to all. Back later xo

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia