Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need help for my mom

lucyroy2
lucyroy2 Member Posts: 1 New
My step father is caring for my mom who is quite advanced, she doesn’t really get any interaction with anyone, they live in a small town in Nevada so not many resources there. My step dad is slowly losing it with my mom, short fuse and all, he wants to put her in a State home but mom still recognizes everyone , just has a hard time speaking, she was bilingual Russian and English but now she just speaks in Russian and makes no sense and my step dad does not speak a word of Russian.
My father is a veteran and on a budget so can’t afford to hire someone to come help him , what are our options? I am not near them,y sister and I live in a different State and it’s very difficult to get to them to offer help.
Ultimately, we are trying to convince my dad to see about bringing someone professional to help him rather than placing mom in a home where she will get worse . Thank you for listening

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,397
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Did your dad serve during war time? There are some benefits for spouses in that case. I’d contact the VFW ( veterans of foreign wars) in a town close to him. My step-dad was in contact with a representative from the local VFW, who was helping him fill out an application to see if his illnesses could be marked as service connected.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. Unfortunately she will get worse, regardless, and placement in a facility will not necessarily hasten that. It may in fact be the best option, home care is expensive (count on at least $35 per hour) and hard to find in rural areas. Does he have power of attorney for her, and has he consulted an elder law attorney about getting her qualified for Medicaid? Private memory care is also expensive, probably 8-10,000 per month. I am sorry it is all so difficult.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@lucyroy2

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

It sounds as if your stepfather has reached his limit in caregiving. Do you have a Plan B in place is the event he become incapacitated or is one of the 1/3 of caregivers who died before their LO does?

Given the distance, you may not be fully aware of the toll of day-to-day of dementia care and realistically speaking, neither you nor your sister can offer the help he needs.

If they don't have much money, residential Medicaid is likely their safety net for care in a facility. Since he is still alive, she wouldn't qualify for Aid & Attendance benefits as that's for war-era vets and their widows/widowers. Finding care in a small town can be challenging even if he can afford it. Many agencies require a 12-15 hour/week minimum.

One caveat— dementia is a terminal and progressive condition. She's going to get worse regardless of where she lives.

HB

• H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

He has taken on an incredibly difficult task in caring for your mom. It sounds like he is at his limit. I think you should support him. If he doesn’t feel up to it and is over his head then she may not be getting the care she needs. He will probably need your help looking into the VA benefits QBC talked about and help filing for Medicaid. These things can be complicated if he is older, frazzled because of things with your mom and probably tied down and unable to leave her. There is a lot to think about. Would he consider moving to a town that will give her more care options? He needs your help!

• cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Is there an Area Agency on Aging in the area? They might be able to help. We have those in Ohio. I'm sorry if there's no equivalent in their area.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more