Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (190)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

Thank you Joan.

Sandy would like hearing about your horses. Watch a YT Channel that boards horses for people. All their different personalities is interesting.

Jo C how are you doing?

Lorita hope you found your ring.

Dont know what I’m doing wrong. It says I changed my Avatar picture but it isn’t showing up here.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sayra, I too had trouble with the avatar picture. No indication from the system that it didn't take but no picture showed up.

I had to take the picture and reduce the size considerably to make it actually "take".

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Looks like most of the gang made it.

I suppose there will be a period of adjustment.

Looks like we gained separate Caring for Parents and Long-Distance Boards but lost Young Onset Caregiver. There's also a feature with which you can set certain members to ignore. We can set our preferred pronouns. And we have emojis!!!

The handyman came. It was a nightmare. I am respectful and inclusive of neurodiversity but this man was something else. He not only lied about his skill-set he was able to showtime (it's not just for PWD anymore) so I was surprised by the person who turned up to do the job. He clearly had some ADHD issues and could not plan, or problem solve. He also had the usual time-blindness that goes with ADHD. He was clumsy. He talked and yelled at himself the entire 7 hours he was here. And on more than one occasion engaged in self-injury when upset. He overshared about his surgery (disc stabilization) and bladder medication. And yelled at his dad with dementia over the phone when dad called once to check in.

I felt badly for him but to be honest it was a little scary. And at the end of the day, he swore he hadn't included a basement railing in the quote, he hired a master electrician to complete the final lamp but wanted me to split the cost, he broke a lampshade on my vanity light (which means I need to buy 3 new ones because I can't find an exact replacement), insisted I pay for a blade for his saw to cut a 2x2" (I have saws) and then wanted to keep the tool, and then he insisted I pay state sales tax (there is no sales tax in my state on labor for installation of improvements that would convey with a property). I paid him the agreed upon price but held back $45 to replace the lampshades. I am glad to be rid of him. FTR, I did call 3 other handymen without getting a call back and a neighbor did tell me this guy would be fine. She and I need to have a talk.

HB

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Ooh.

And we can react to posts-- "like", "care" and "Insightful".

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Great to be back on.

Bill is not doing very good. I think it is because he has not been able to go anywhere because of covid and the new virus going around! The doctor told him he is very high risk, which he didn't listen. I will take him next week to see our sons and their family. I hope that will help with his mood every afternoon he tells me I'm tired of hurting and ready to go!

We live in a Florida senior Resort. We call this place Gods waiting room! We lost 20 this year alone.

At least Bill can sit outside on the porch and speak to people walking by and watch the birds on my feeders. At our home we would not see anyone for weeks unless it was a Birthday for grandkids or holiday. Better drink my coffee before time to get Bill up. Have a great day all.

Shirley

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

found my chair

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Good morning. Looks like we’re all figuring out the new format. I had to try several times to get my avatar to show up. It probably isn’t that important because you can’t see the picture. It is too small see. Commenting and sending is easier.

We’re finally getting a stretch of spring days here, starting today. We’ve had snow every day for the last four or five days. It’s so good to see the sun.

I’m getting ready for kids to come for Easter.

HB, I had a similar experience with a guy doing a job in my bathroom after the sewer backup. The general contractor fired him and is now tearing everything out and starting over, at his cost. Seems so difficult to find reliable workers.

It’s nice to see everyone getting back on here to visit. Have a great day. Joan

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,214
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Just took littlebit to the veterinarian, can no longer see and has stopped eating. I'm hurting right now and dont know how to go on with Lou without him. He was always loving and no trouble for over 28 years, but I know we did what was best for him

Ron

• Marion S
    Marion S Member Posts: 4
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

The format is not friendly; type is pale and much too small. Avatars need to be bigger and print bolder. We need help to make this easier to read.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

jfkoc, glad you found your Front Porch chair amongst all the others; great you arrived! So hope all is going well with you.

Ron, if I am understanding correctly, your beloved little friend has been loved enough to be relieved from the pain she had been living with. I am truly deeply sorry for your loss, she was indeed family and deeply loved as you have shared with us over time.

Day before yesterday, our son and DIL had to do the same thing out of mercy. Their little dog was 17 years old and had been a very physically damaged rescue when she was a tiny pup when they saved and rescued her. She was deeply loved and was very bonded to our son - she followed him everywhere in the house, waited by the door when he was out, and when he sat down, she always jumped up and nestled next to him. Like yours, the loss has been deeply heartfelt and very painful. She had become pretty much totally blind, had difficult walking, had seizures despite medication and had cancer which had earlier been treated, but had recurred. She could not eat and was in pain. They loved her enough to be merciful and release her from her suffering.

She was deeply terrified of the vets office, but they knew of a mobile vet who came in a van to the house and performed the procedure there. It was peaceful and calm which was a blessing; but the grief and loss is deep and will take time to process. It was a loving gift all the years you gave to your little one filled with love and great care, you gave her those gifts and a very good life. Big hug Ron for you and Lou, and again, I am so very sorry.

Thanks for asking Sayra, I am doing fine. Got used to my friend Mr. Walker; it does indeed help the pain. Doing my P.T. exercises and I think that the P.T. is trying to kill me inch by inch, but I persist and will hopefully find improvement soon. Had to laugh; the six foot four P.T. put very short me through evaluation . Had to stand without touching anything for a length of time which was fine; had me pick up objects off the floor which was fine, had me turn in a circle which was fine, and more . . . all fine. I have no balance issues, just bone on bone pain in knees when up and doing. Only one evaluation failure - he wanted me stand on one leg without touching anything and wanted it for a period of time - well; it appears if I were to do that, it would be with screaming since one knee was not going to support me without monumental pain. He laughed and said we would eliminate that one. No kidding. Want to strengthen muscles to better help the knees and also increase stamina. It will take six weeks or a bit more to see a difference, so I have made a checklist for my exercises each day. Sigh. I want my old body back from earlier decades but cannot find a magic wand anywhere! If you find it, let me know and if you do, please waive it my way - I would like to be 30 years younger and 110 pounds again.

Weather here is finally without rain which is appreciated. Going through some straightening up of some drawers. When our grandson was a baby, I bought him a share of stock in Disneyland as a gift. He is now of age to hold stock and want to transfer it to him; it has grown to nine shares. I cannot find the stock certificate. I put it in a safe place and it is SO safe, it is still hiding. (Minors cannot hold stock.) The bits and pieces to transfer stock is a dreadful mess of paperwork and gold medallion seals being applied by a bank or credit union, and it will be much more additional paperwork if I cannot find the original certificate. (I had never heard of a "gold medallion seal.") Oh dear. It sounded like a fun gift at the time, but will never buy a share of stock for a gift again. Little did I know. Ah well; as a young child he loved knowing he "owned" a little bit of Disneyland which really was fun.

A bit chilly this morning. Got a nice biscone and a cup of tea with my breakfast oatmeal, so the day had a good start. Tonight's dinner plan is salmon and asparagus with couscous or rice; that just sounded good. With the new Platform, it came to me that we have lost that long, long, long, recipe group Thread we had. Drats, it had some really good recipes from Front Porch Members. If anyone has that, it would be nice to re-post it.

So glad to see everyone at our new house so to speak, will be thinking of all of you and hoping all goes well for one and all today,

J.

• Mint

Ron I’m so sorry about your loss of little bit.

Lorita is still missing I believe. Sandy if you talk with her, if she is unable to find her email from alz ask her to look in spam or junk file. That’s where mine was.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Can one of you fine folks give instructions on how to "bold" what is typed?

Dear Ron, so very sorry about your dear fur baby. Back in December I had to make the same choice for my dear kitty Sweetie. They give us unconditional love. Hole in the heart for sure. If you could actually see my avitar, Sweetie is the kitty on the right. This pic was taken soon after I got them many years ago.

Anyone know a status on Lorita? I haven't seen her post yet on this new site.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Joan...how did you get to bold print???

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ron, I am so sorry for your loss.

Jo, sorry for your son's loss as well and hang in there with the PT - hopefully it will help ease your pain.

Our neighbor is in labor right now. She and her husband have been walking. I wonder if she is going to try for a home delivery. She tried in the past for baby #2, and ended up going to the hospital. For baby #3, she went to a birthing center and hoped to deliver there, but had to go to the hospital then as well. We have no freestanding birthing centers in our area now, although midwives can practice at some or all of the local hospitals.

I don't love the format but I will adjust to it!

Beth

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Ron I am so sorry for the loss of littlebit, my prayers are with you and Lou. Hopefully this will not hit her as hard as your thinking it will. Littlebit was such a blessing for the both of you.

Jo. I am also sorry about your son and DILs fur baby, it is so hard when that time comes. It was good to hear you're feeling a bit better and are getting along with M Walker. Hopefully that relationship does not last forever, and you can kick him to the curb for a while.

Iam still not sure I like this change, Iam not too good with changes. Iam sure if I give it some time, I will get used to it.

Iam seeing a little bit of spring, the snow is finally melting and hopefully not much more coming.

Take care all, Hugs Zetta

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

How to Bold: This is what I found by exploring:

Highlight the words or words you want bolded at the time you are in the Post you are writing, when highlighting, it brings up bold and italics and a few other items.

You can also bold and italicize when you are editing a Post.

As for the other icons, I only know the strikeout icon that also appears but do not know the others . . . one may be a "link," but am not sure as I have not tried it and am not certain as yet how to use it and the last one I do not know what it is as yet.

To edit, click on the three little dots above and outside of the top of the Post box; click on edit and you can do so. However, I understand that an edit function is only good for 24 hours after writing a Post.

The flag at the bottom of a Post is the "Report" function. If you click on it, there are three options: one is to Report Spam, another is to Report violations of Guidelines, and the last is to Report to a Moderator. When you make a Report, you will receive acknowledgment that your reporting has been received.

J.

• ronald71111

Thank all of you on your condolences of littlebit. I've cried all day but Lou does not even know anything is different. It really doesnt surprise me because she has never been a emotional person. Also, she doesnt even know we had a dog and at times doesnt believe we are married. My emotions have gotten to me which is odd for a old man that had even seen death in war.

Hopefully after a few days I can check our new rocking chairs and Lorita's newly remodeled front porch closer and understand it better.

Ron

• ronald71111

Loved you littlebit! You was my emotional support and I miss you!!

• Seaside
    Seaside Member Posts: 38
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

Dear Ron…I can empathize with you about your dear Littlebit. When my husband was in the last 6 mos. of his life I had to do this with our dear Westie, Daisy. It hurts so much! And then when my dear husband of nearly 50 years is not realizing what has occurred & has no reaction, it’s pretty much unbearable. After 3 months I did get a puppy…needed that puppy so much! Everyone thought that I was completely nuts! But we needed a buffer and my husband did get some pleasure from our puppy, Lucy. And now Lucy is my dear companion of 8 years. I don’t know what I’d do without her! Praying for you and Lou…

Betty

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ron, That is a precious picture of littlebit. 😍 Thank You for sharing with us. Old men do cry. Hugs

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Ron sorry about your lost of littlebit. They sure make good Company for us.

Has Lou noticed he is gone?

Shirley

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi Rockers, just talked to Lorita. She had a very busy day. She’s not with the changes on the forum. She said she’ll post tomorrow, she’s still figuring out how to post. I told her I’ll walk herthrough it when she is ready to try again. She is just tired tonight.

Had a busy day here, two Granddaughters arrived from college for a few days.

we have a few raised bed planters and a cute bunny decided it would be a good place to have her babies, they were finally big enough to run around. The planter was like a playpen for them. One was able to hop out and my son noticed a big black racer snake heading towards the baby bunny. My son gathered all the babies and some of the grass from the nest and made a spot far away from the house. The next day they were gone so we think we’re ready to be on their own.

Sara, I’ll try to post a picture of the horses. They are fun to watch. They are all between 17 and 22 years old. So retirement is way they were at the rescue center. None of them can be ridden due to health issues.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sandy, I love the picture. Beautiful horses!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ron, I'm do sorry to learn about Littlebit. She looked very bright in her photo.

Jo C, thanks for the instructions about bolding and italicizing.

Can anyone do me a favor? I need someone to click on my avatar and see what comes up as my profile. I called the Helpline yesterday and asked to remove my email address and my real name. I still see my name when I click on my own name, but I wonder if other people can see it too.

Iris

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    edited April 2023

I am using an IPad. When I click on the section to comment, my keyboard shows up, and at the top right of the keyboard there is the B for bold and also underline, italics, etc. I touch the B and bold is on.

Ron, I am so sorry you lost little bit. What a sweet picture. I can’t imagine how you feel after having her for so long. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

It was a beautiful day here today. We got up to 46 degrees and it felt great. This weekend we’re expecting warmer weather.

Jo, I know how you feel about therapy. I’ve been doing it too and am feeling much stronger. It has helped some with my back issues so I’m hoping if I keep going, I’ll be able to go on my walks again.

The horses are beautiful. They look very healthy.

So nice to see all of us getting back the forum. I hope Lorita gets rested and can get on tomorrow.

Have a good night all. Joan

• JudeV
    JudeV Member Posts: 30
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    edited April 2023

I made it back. Takes a little concentration but I got it. The weather here is getting warm but we are having lots of tornados. None has hit Lafayette but came close. Hope you all have a nice Easter

Judy

• JudeV

• JudeV

Didn’t aim to post twice but hello again.

Judy

• Mint
    edited April 2023

Good to see everyone of you, nice to see everyone in their chair

Iris avatar says profile private. See what you’re saying.

Sandy the horses are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Just attempted to make my profile private. Can someone do me a favor and click on my profile and tell me if it is now private. If it is I will explain how to fix it. Very simple to do if it worked.

Joan thank you for sharing how to make my print bold on IPad.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more